Insane upload time....

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have heaps of video footage from my P2V+ but the reason I have not uploaded any to YT is the length of time it takes to upload. A 10min video is a whopping 2.4Gb for some reason (720/60) and YT says it will take 347mins to upload!? The upload speed here in Australia is pathetic at a measly 35kb/sec. (which is half the problem)Anyway, I thought nahhhh, that can't be right & started uploading it. After 2hrs it had only uploaded 15%, so I cancelled it.
How on Earth do people have dozens of videos uploaded? Can I compress it, change it to a different format?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Hey everyone, I have heaps of video footage from my P2V+ but the reason I have not uploaded any to YT is the length of time it takes to upload. A 10min video is a whopping 2.4Gb for some reason (720/60) and YT says it will take 347mins to upload!? The upload speed here in Australia is pathetic at a measly 35kb/sec. (which is half the problem)Anyway, I thought nahhhh, that can't be right & started uploading it. After 2hrs it had only uploaded 15%, so I cancelled it.
How on Earth do people have dozens of videos uploaded? Can I compress it, change it to a different format?

I think the first thing I'd do is change the frame rate from 60 to 30 or 25. That should effectively knock your filesize in half, given that you are still filming in 720. I think the largest file I've uploaded was to Vimeo at just shy of 1gb and that took about 25 minutes. It was a 12 minute video in 1080p/25.

As far as compressing H264 video (if it's the same as the regular vision that's the format the videos are filmed in) you won't get much more compression out of it than it already has. You could always try post-processing to reduce the file size, but that usually takes some time.

Phantom_Menace66 said:

Go Pro has a very easy to use and free application for basic video editing and sharing. You can play with the advance settings to reduce the size of the videos you post to Youtube.
It will also remove fisheye. Youtube will try to "auto-stabilize" your videos after you upload them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1