Insane Amount of Time Needed for "107" Airspace Authorizations?

You can fly near, not over people. The FAA has not defined what a safe distance is. That is up to the remote pilot certificate holder to determine based on all the circumstances. So the bad news is that you still can't easily fly over people. The good news is you can fly near people as long as it's safe.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. Part 107 Waiver & Airspace Training Videos - Hire a Drone Law Attorney - Fly Under FAA Part 107

Are you referring to a certificate of waiver for specific airspace?...Good luck.

No. Ordinary Airspace Authorization. Still nothing received since 9 November (now Dec 3). Too bad, really. I know one of the ATC's personally and HE thinks it is absurd in his particular location's case. I used to call ahead, then just before and after the flight near this particular very UN-busy airport. He's (the ATC guy) is in a bind and understandably cannot do anything at this point, of course. Oh, well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enrico Schaefer
TODAY, this is what I received

Name of responsible person: [shown correctly]
Organization: [shown correctly]
Phone: [shown correctly]
Email: [shown correctly]
FAR to be Authorized: P107
Date Submitted: 12/06/2016
<==== Wrong! Was actually confirmed earlier as 11/09/2016
Status: CANCELLED <==== Probably because requested time window long ago passed

Pretty much wasted effort this time around.

TODAY, this is what I received

Name of responsible person: [shown correctly]
Organization: [shown correctly]
Phone: [shown correctly]
Email: [shown correctly]
FAR to be Authorized: P107
Date Submitted: 12/06/2016
<==== Wrong! Was actually confirmed earlier as 11/09/2016
Status: CANCELLED <==== Probably because requested time window long ago passed

Pretty much wasted effort this time around.
If your timeframe was only for one day and it has passed then yes it has been cancelled. I requested multiple 6 month timeframes with 1 mile radius'. This was based on a conversation I had with the FAA regarding how big a radius I could apply for. I simply made a map and requested everywhere I could possibly be shooting within the class D airspace. Worked so far.

I simply made a map and requested everywhere I could possibly be shooting within the class D airspace. Worked so far.

Okay, I just did this again, this time using your recommendation and asking for a wide area (inclusive of a lot of neighborhoods) outside a 1.2 nautical mile radius from the chart-listed airport GPS location, excluding any airspace over airport property, and for the period between 1 January 2017 at 8:00 until 30 April 2017 at 18:00 local time. The request has been confirmed as "submitted," of course

We shall see. Fingers crossed. Thanks for chiming in!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thought I'd share my personal experience. Just received Class D authorization and it was submitted on 12/5. Just a hair over 3 weeks and probably due to the holiday. Hopefully you'll be seeing yours soon if you haven't already. Looks like we submitted around the same time.

Well, Glory Be! As an update to my post above (#26), today I did receive a "blanket authorization" to fly very close-in to the local Class C airport from now until August (with ordinary 107 restrictions of course). Yay -- It DOES work!

UPDATE! Worse than ever it seems, now. I applied for two more authorizations, one identical to the first in every way and the other to do a job in a safe non congested area at low level 2 NM from a very small local airport and asking for 150ft AGL max, requested in July and early September respectively.

Nothing. Status: "submitted." And yes, I wrote asking for status; the first is not done yet and the second is not reviewed yet.

Job window on the second one begins tomorrow so, not happening. Forget MY requests -- I'm not whining -- But what could possibly be the problem with this system!?

It's just the way the federal system works. Might work much better if waivers were handled with the local level ATC, but dealing with an agency hundreds or thousands of miles away is a major mess. If all airplanes required IFR pilots to file flight plans with the FAA instead of local ATC or nearby Flight Service Office, no planes would ever get off the ground.

Then there is the matter of getting DJI to unlock an area which can be another mess too.

Entire system could not be more inefficient.

UPDATE! Worse than ever it seems, now. I applied for two more authorizations, one identical to the first in every way and the other to do a job in a safe non congested area at low level 2 NM from a very small local airport and asking for 150ft AGL max, requested in July and early September respectively.

Nothing. Status: "submitted." And yes, I wrote asking for status; the first is not done yet and the second is not reviewed yet.

Job window on the second one begins tomorrow so, not happening. Forget MY requests -- I'm not whining -- But what could possibly be the problem with this system!?

So when did you submit this request?

My most recent one (Class CHARLIE) took 112 days.

It's just the way the federal system works. Might work much better if waivers were handled with the local level ATC, but dealing with an agency hundreds or thousands of miles away is a major mess. If all airplanes required IFR pilots to file flight plans with the FAA instead of local ATC or nearby Flight Service Office, no planes would ever get off the ground.

Then there is the matter of getting DJI to unlock an area which can be another mess too.

Entire system could not be more inefficient.

The process is slow because they got behind the ball but also because (and I know this for a FACT) some operators have literally applied for hundreds of authorizations just in case they get a job somewhere in their region of the US. I know one guy who did nothing but apply for a solid 5 days straight to every airport in a 10 state region. This type of action will put a wrench in the gears of even a well designed system let alone this system.

Initially the request is reviewed at the National level (FAA or by a contractor of the FAA) for completeness and accuracy. If it passes this initial review then that person either hands it down to the local ATC for approval or if it "fits in the mold" previously approved for that facility it can be rubber stamped.

The good news is the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) system is operational (on a very limited scale) and it works GREAT. We are looking forward to more areas being added to it so we can get almost instantaneous approval/denials.

So when did you submit this request?
The good news is the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) system is operational ....

About 100 and perhaps 40 days ago for the two separate requests, but I just thought of a GREAT idea!

Why not subcontract the LAANC -- the low level stuff we do 99% of the time -- to NIKE Shoe Corp!? Just Do It!

I put one in back in July to fly in Class E airspace that started at the surface (Class E box that embodies several IAPs into a Class D airport). I would be outside of the Class D "ring" and be no higher than 110'. Simple enough but still waiting.

Just received a response to a request I submitted for an update to a waiver request to operate in Class D airspace. As previously stated in the forum, "It does not look good" I applied just over 90 days ago. Below in the response.

Hello,

Unfortunately, a substantial update is not available for your request. It is currently in the queue of applications being processed. At the moment, we do not have a timeframe of when it will be completed. Due to the volume of applications received, it is taking longer than 90 days to provide a response but we are processing applications as quickly as possible to improve the wait time.

Kind Regards,

ATO Part 107 Authorization and Waiver Team

ATO Emerging Technologies Team

Federal Aviation Administration

Just received a response to a request I submitted for an update to a waiver request to operate in Class D airspace. As previously stated in the forum, "It does not look good" I applied just over 90 days ago. Below in the response.

Hello,

Unfortunately, a substantial update is not available for your request. It is currently in the queue of applications being processed. At the moment, we do not have a timeframe of when it will be completed. Due to the volume of applications received, it is taking longer than 90 days to provide a response but we are processing applications as quickly as possible to improve the wait time.

Kind Regards,

ATO Part 107 Authorization and Waiver Team

ATO Emerging Technologies Team

Federal Aviation Administration

That's their "standard" reply which is replying without really saying anything.

I got that "reply" about 4 weeks before I got my Class CHARLIE Wide Area Authorization.

I have a question may be a little off topic but still in the ballpark. I am studying for my 107 and what I would like to do is fly in class G airspace but not close to an airport and be outside 5 miles. I would like to make aerial photographs for speculation sales. In other words I haven’t sold them yet and I’m not being contracted for the work but want to take the pictures in hopes of selling them which I couldn’t do as a hobbyist.

I have a question may be a little off topic but still in the ballpark. I am studying for my 107 and what I would like to do is fly in class G airspace but not close to an airport and be outside 5 miles. I would like to make aerial photographs for speculation sales. In other words I haven’t sold them yet and I’m not being contracted for the work but want to take the pictures in hopes of selling them which I couldn’t do as a hobbyist.

What is your question Dan?

A) When flying under Part 107 distance from the airport is not an issue. Your flight regulations go specifically by the type of airspace you're in. Class G means you're Good To Fly.

B) Any flight that isn't 100% for hobby (regardless if you make $$ or not) falls under Part 107 Rules unless you're flying for Public Safety Use (Law Enforcement, Search & Rescue etc) and those can fly under a whole other set of rules way to complicated for this conversation.

C) Speculation "work" is still work. Any flight that is not HOBBY is Civil.

I put one in back in July to fly in Class E airspace that started at the surface (Class E box that embodies several IAPs into a Class D airport). I would be outside of the Class D "ring" and be no higher than 110'. Simple enough but still waiting.

Well I spoke too soon - hours after posting this my approval came through. What's funny I was asking for a certain area within the class G airspace, 110' max altitude, they gave me the whole class G airspace up to 400'!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31