Initialization on a boat

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I tried to fly my Phantom (v1) out of a boat the other day but it took forever initialize and the Phantom would simply NOT TAKE OFF (the motors wouldn't start at all even though the LED was blinking green). Something to do with the initialization of the gyro I guess, due to the rocking of the boat (the boat was on an anchor and was rocking very slightly). Does anyone know how it can be done other than powering up the Phantom ashore and taking it to the boat afterwards? I've seen amazing takes from boats that were definitely far away from the shore so I believe there must be a way to do it.

Thanks for any inputs!

I'm glad you posted this. I cannot help, but I could see myself getting out there and being in the same "boat" as you.

I await a good answer too!

amrflyingdude said:
Try to hold it with 2 hands and keep it a steady as possible. Sort of like a human gimbal.

I was going to suggest the human gimbal as well! This is pretty much your only option. The IMU needs to be stable and and somewhat level to initialize properly.

I hang mine from a piece of string tied around the hull and let it hang plum, and as level as possible.

Thanks guys!

I thought there was some way of initializing with a different setting on the IOC or Control Mode Switches. I'll try the "human Gimbal" method and let you know.

It was very frustrating that other day. Beautiful weather and scenery, all the hassle of bringing the gear and so on...

Cheers!

Me personally.........no. Our lakes are frozen over right now :x , (and I just got my Phantom last December). But my buddy has a 550 hex and has been doing it for years this way.

What about flying out of a ship while in cruise. No rocking but moving at about 20 mph. Will the Phantom initialize?

FlyLola said:
What about flying out of a ship while in cruise. No rocking but moving at about 20 mph. Will the Phantom initialize?

I'm going to guess here and say, the accelerometers will hold level, but the gps won't lock on because its moving. IDK, good question.

Shouldn't the GPS lock anyways though? It probably wouldn't set a home point (you wouldn't want it to anyways!, lol), but it acquires & loses satellites while we're flying, once you have 7 you're locked. I'm curious about this one as well, no water here as its -34 in Alberta.

People seem to be confusing GPS lock and GPS fix. Anyway, movement will not stop the GPS from obtaining a location fix. But, if the receiver does not get a consistent view of the sky, it may take longer as satellites are momentarily obstructed. The reason for this is the receiver cannot lock onto that satellite until the full ephemeris dataset is received uninterrupted.

Once a 3D fix has enough precision as defined by the FC firmware, the Phantom will record your home location which, if you're on a moving boat, will be sleeping with the fishes.

Careful when flying from a boat. My friend launched from a boat, he saw a message that communications were lost, the coptor tried to fly home, but home had moved from the location where the GPS had been initialized. The coptor "landed" itself on the water and sunk.

We all have turned on GPS receivers while riding cars and even a planes so that would not be an issue in my opinion. The Phantom would obviously not "know" where to return in case of a transmitter failure due to range, poor batteries, etc.

The big question is wether the gyro will innitialize while moving. Someone could try it on top of a pickup truck rolling down a smooth road at about 20 mph to see what happens before adding the Phantom to the baggage before going in a cruise, just to find out it won't fly out of the ship.

I'm assuming there is no return to home when launching off a moving boat......right,

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl