Infrared hack

Reaction score
Pardon my complete lack of knowledge on this subject..... Is it possible to turn the phantom 3 advanced camera into an infrared camera or is possible to take infrared images with the p3 advanced? Seems like I read or heard that you can "hack" the sd card and put an infrared filter on a camera and like magic you have a IR camera. Seems too easy to me. I'm sure somebody on here knows a little something about it. Thanks

Look on youtube under go pro ir conversion, it will be very similar.

If I remember correctly, some cameras - at least some web cams I was looking at - could be taken apart and the lens bared. Certain web cams had an infra red filter over the lens that you could remove. With others it was built in such a way that you would destroy the camera by removing the filter..
Once removed you now had visible and ir wavelengths coming in and you had to block out the visible spectrum by the simple expedient of digging out an old roll of film and getting the black part of the negative that could be found at the beginning and end of the roll. This would replace the ir filter and block the visible spectrum. Hey presto, an ir camera.
Now you know the theory you can take apart a very expensive camera on the off chance it might work..

It may not apply for this but there is a company somewhere out there that can convert DSLR's into IR. Not sure if they can work with this camera. Search canon cameras into IR. I was going to change my D20 into IR but just gave it away.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1