Infrared camera

Reaction score
I have a P3A and am interested in obtaining an infrared camera for it. Does anyone know of something that works or what the possibilities are? Thanks in advance!

wait till march 1st maybe dji will have one coming out

IR.PNG
I have a P3A and am interested in obtaining an infrared camera for it. Does anyone know of something that works or what the possibilities are? Thanks in advance!
PjBrown58.
The P3 uses a CMOS (Sony Exmor) sensor. All CMOS sensors are IR sensitive. Also in mobiles, tablets, etc.
In the picture you can see the IR LED from a remote.

They contain a IR filter to block the IR. You could modify a camera by removing it, but you might need to modify the optics as well (focal length changes). I have done that in the past with other sensors.
Then you also need some strong IR LEDS.

Even nicer would be a heat sensitive sensor (bolometer). These become rapidly cheaper and don't need IR LEDs. You can buy a flirone for a few hundred $.
It would be nice to have a drone with night vision, but flying at night is not allowed.

why is flying at night not allowed

Reactions: sonof40
View attachment 44422
PjBrown58.
The P3 uses a CMOS (Sony Exmor) sensor. All CMOS sensors are IR sensitive. Also in mobiles, tablets, etc.
In the picture you can see the IR LED from a remote.

They contain a IR filter to block the IR. You could modify a camera by removing it, but you might need to modify the optics as well (focal length changes). I have done that in the past with other sensors.
Then you also need some strong IR LEDS.

Even nicer would be a heat sensitive sensor (bolometer). These become rapidly cheaper and don't need IR LEDs. You can buy a flirone for a few hundred $.
It would be nice to have a drone with night vision, but flying at night is not allowed.

Thanks for the information.

Regarding "not allowed", is there a regulation or rule about that?

Also, I am trying to set this up for Fire Department use in search and rescue.

Reactions: rene van der meer
Thanks for the information.

Regarding "not allowed", is there a regulation or rule about that?

Also, I am trying to set this up for Fire Department use in search and rescue.
Here in the Netherlands we are only allowed to fly when the drone is visible with the naked eye (LOS) and during day light. I am not sure about other countries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers