Inertia Guard and Switchblade, Helipad... all bought sponsor

Reaction score
hello ,

while browsing the forum the banner advertisement advertised a helipad which caught my attention needles to say i clicked the banner. I purchased and eagerly await the unpainted helipad, as well as the switchblade inertia camera guard and feet extensions....

these 2 items seems like a smart buy giving the costs of broken gimbals.. any other thought on the product.
http://www.uavbits.net/store/p11/Switchblade.html

Re: Inertia Guard and Switchblade, Helipad... all bought spo

capodrone81 said:
hello ,

while browsing the forum the banner advertisement advertised a helipad which caught my attention needles to say i clicked the banner. I purchased and eagerly await the unpainted helipad, as well as the switchblade inertia camera guard and feet extensions....

these 2 items seems like a smart buy giving the costs of broken gimbals.. any other thought on the product.

the "Switchblade" is really not necessary as long as you
1) know how to take off properly (full throttle until it's off the ground)
2) catch the Phantom instead of trying to land it on the ground

a tipover will break props, but unless you slam hard on the ground it usually won't hurt the gimbal
pretty quickly most people switch from landing the Phantom on the ground, to simply catching it by the leg. it's widely regarded as a lot safer, mainly due to the tipover factor.

Inertia Guard seems to be only for the Vision series, yes? I suppose if that's what you have... and you plan on crashing a lot...

Helipad... I suppose it is useful if you often fly completely by yourself in locations which don't have any flat surface to take off from. I've even taken off from short grass with no issues, but in the RARE instances I can't find a rock or table or something to take off from, I just have a buddy hand launch it (hold the legs of the Phantom, hold it overhead, give it full throttle then the person simply lets go)

QYV said:
capodrone81 said:
hello ,

a tipover will break props, but unless you slam hard on the ground it usually won't hurt the gimbal
pretty quickly most people switch from landing the Phantom on the ground, to simply catching it by the leg. it's widely regarded as a lot safer, mainly due to the tipover factor.

Inertia Guard seems to be only for the Vision series, yes? I suppose if that's what you have... and you plan on crashing a lot...

Helipad... I suppose it is useful if you often fly completely by yourself in locations which don't have any flat surface to take off from. I've even taken off from short grass with no issues, but in the RARE instances I can't find a rock or table or something to take off from, I just have a buddy hand launch it (hold the legs of the Phantom, hold it overhead, give it full throttle then the person simply lets go)

I liked the idea of switchblade for uneeven terrain I take the phantom on mountain bike rides with me alot. Im not a real fan of catching phantom ( but I also drive with2 hands on the wheel). And the helipad I liked due to the visual factor it provides when shooting aerial photography it allows a designated area where my flight can start and stop so people are aware ... I also fly in the morning and at dusk so I do not want any dew on my gimball or go pro from grass blades.. I liked the idea also for myself to have a homepoint on the ground ...

Tip overs happen because you overload the quad with strap on doodads that disrupt the CG.
Hand launching and Catching anything with four spinning blades is not really for any but the most experienced of quad owners.
To protect my Phantom gimbal from tip overs I tape wood skewers to the skids and across the base of the gear.
two bucks worth of balsa.

Good luck

QYV said:
capodrone81 said:
hello ,

Friends...
I think you meant well but you come across very condescending, anyways, regarding your post im happy your finding success with the"2.00 balsa wood" had I decided that was the best route I would have done the same. But I liked the ingenuity and the final product being carbon fiber, and decided to splurge on my $$$ phantom... I gladly suport our forum sponsor or anyone for that matter that is spending time developing items that will protect vital pieces of my phantom

I also bought a gimbal lock - unnecessary
Go pro nd filter- unnecessary
Go pro hero lens cap - unnecessary
Go pro hero lens hood - unnecessary
Ib crazycircual antenna s - unnecessary
Ib crazy helical 9.5db directional antenna - unnecessary
Gpc backpack case- unnecessary
Phantomp2 with zenmuse - unnecessary

Notice a trend here? Its my hobby so I enjoy researching and buying parts

A large majority of tip overs occur when people do a CSC to shut down the motors.

msinger said:
A large majority of tip overs occur when people do a CSC to shut down the motors.

CSC im sorry a bit of a forum noob, what is that short for?
:?: :geek:

and BTW msinger AWESOME link in your signature, I love phantomhelp!

The gps mod seems very reasonable any step by step for install? is this your own site? crazy great info on it! thank you

capodrone81 said:
CSC im sorry a bit of a forum noob, what is that short for?
CSC is what's shown in image 2 below. You should shut off your motors like shown in image 1 though.

Attachments

• Phantom_2_Vision_Plus_12th.jpg
    Phantom_2_Vision_Plus_12th.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 504

capodrone81 said:
and BTW msinger AWESOME link in your signature, I love phantomhelp!
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it :cool:

rgc2005 said:
Tip overs happen because you overload the quad with strap on doodads that disrupt the CG.
Hand launching and Catching anything with four spinning blades is not really for any but the most experienced of quad owners.

I'm not trying to argue, this is just a friendly discussion but I humbly disagree with these statements. A completely naked Phantom 2 without any additional doodads (or even the gimbal/gopro) will absolutely tip over if you try to take off delicately... this happened to me several times before I figured out that a proper takeoff is zero to full throttle until the P2 is off the ground, and we see newbies around this forum all the time asking about it.
Landing is even MORE likely to tipover if you have ANY lateral movement when you touch down, or like someone else mentioned try to do a CSC (both sticks in and down) to shut the motors off which the documentation sort of insinuates.

The first 2 times I landed I did a CSC and broke a total of 3 props. I further broke at least 2 or 3 more trying to land and a breeze or air cushion from the Phantom itself caused lateral movement just before touchdown (I can't remember what the name of that phenomenon is where rotary wing aircraft "bounce" off that air cushion right before they land if they're coming straight down).

So within 3-4 days of owning a Phantom I'd already gone through like $60 in props and I was like "this is not sustainable" so I went browsing around youtube and saw people catching the Phantom instead of landing it, so on like day 3-4 of my P2 ownership I started catching (always had a lanyard for the RC) and have basically never landed on the ground since.

I've also talked to plenty of other newbie pilots around this forum who start catching and prefer it over landing. Done PROPERLY it's really not that unsafe... orient facing "away" (so the lateral controls are in the proper direction), approach from above, reach out and grab a leg. it's really quite easy... there's a perfect example in the first 30 seconds of this video.

Of course no pilot should never do something he/she isn't comfortable with, but knowing how and practicing catching opens up a whole world of possibilities over needing to find a flat, still spot to land... such as boats or rooftops (my rooftop ALWAYS has breeze I could never land land there).

So there we go... my long winded reasoning for disagreeing that catching should only be reserved for "the most experienced" pilots. Sure probably not the most INexperienced on day 1 but I sure started early and I'm an unskilled idiot :)

:lol: Cliff notes for QYV:

Unskilled idiot: :lol: :mrgreen:

catch your phantom if your comfortable doing so, therefore eliminating the tip over possibility because your catching it.

lol. just jk buddy.. :lol: :idea: :geek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers