Indoor flying

Reaction score
I have not seen much talk on flying the f3 standard indoors and this makes me a bit reluctant to try it. I have been flying other quads in the double gym that our club flys in for a few years with no issues and I would like to fly my phantom 3S to get some good pictures of our club members flying. Any thoughts on this as to what to expect if I try flying indoors?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you have drone experience you will be fine. Unlikely to get GPS but I have had no issues in ATTI mode. Go show off :) carefully...

Good to hear. What dose it do if I use auto take off? Is the barometer sensor that good that it holds its altitude properly?

I tried auto take off with my standard and it wouldn't do it cause there is no gps signal. And in Atti mode it drifted way to much for my comfort.

I tried auto take off with my standard and it wouldn't do it cause there is no gps signal. And in Atti mode it drifted way to much for my comfort.

The drift is something you get used to during manual flight. Everyone should learn the technique as it gives confidence when it's needed. You should consider using prop guards indoors for the first while at least. Use VPS also.

Last edited:
The drift is something you get used to during manual flight. Everyone should learn the technique as it gives confidence when it's needed. You should consider using prop guards indoors for the first while at least. Use VPS also.
The standards don't use the VPS

Reactions: spindrift
I had the opportunity to fly my P3P indoors in a large gym this weekend. It was easy at first, primarily because I was being cautious. After a while I got more (over)confident - and I had a couple of close encounters with the gum wall.. Being used to it stopping when letting up on the controls - here it kept drifting and I had to correct avoiding the walls - I would advice on prop-guards too

I have not seen much talk on flying the f3 standard indoors and this makes me a bit reluctant to try it. I have been flying other quads in the double gym that our club flys in for a few years with no issues and I would like to fly my phantom 3S to get some good pictures of our club members flying. Any thoughts on this as to what to expect if I try flying indoors?

This should have been posted in the standard section, not the Adv/Pro section. Everyone in here thinks in terms of "lightbridge and VPS" on the craft.

Done it but don't get over confident as it may bite back lol, just make sure you do all checks and be careful.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Could of made it better if I had a few trials but was running out of time as had to head back to friend/grooms house.

Done it but don't get over confident as it may bite back lol, just make sure you do all checks and be careful.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Could of made it better if I had a few trials but was running out of time as had to head back to friend/grooms house.
Most of that video could have been shot with handheld camera. Any chance I get to shoot video on the ground is less risk of potentially crashing the phantom. The remainder can be integrated in the edit.

Having flown my f3s in the gym now I can report that it was easy and the auto take off and land works perfectly. The phantom rose up to 4 feet and held its altitude and if I went up or down it held where ever I stopped at. You do need to know how to fly a quad though as it dose drift with the air currants around it and because it has no satellites to guide it you have to control it's movements. The auto land feature is perfect and the on board barometer works like a charm. Go away winter I want to get outside and fly!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers