Indoor flying

Reaction score
I have a chance to fly in a gym over people training, it could be very cool. But obvious questions on flying come up

1 I assume GPS doesn't work, does this also mean home lock and course lock can't be used?
2 I assume atti is the only way to fly besides manual, (which I haven't practiced)
3 does the iron frame of the building screw up the compass? Does that matter?

I think it would be a blast to fly in a big space with no wind and have long smooth shots but safety of people and equipment is obviously the issue. Anyone have experience with this?

This was first posted in the beutifull stream train aerial video and aso here in its own thread so I have to respond here as well sorry for double posting
You looked like a sensible guy in that last scene of you catching the phantom
So spend a second imagining a worst case scenario to your incredibly ill advised gym shoot
And imagine the uproar from officialdom during the inquiry creating all sorts of new and draconian laws affecting all multirotor flyers.
Use a camcorder or two on boom or a jib or make something or attach a camera to wall/hoop/glass
I don't mean to sound rude so forgive my bluntness

I'll take the sensible guy comment as positive!

The risks you identify are real, and the reason I don't fly over people outside. I left the same comment on the train forum because of all that iron and interference potential. But his video seems flawless.

The budget for the video is zero, which leaves out jibs and more professional gear. I would like to try the flights first with no people in the gym to get a sense of space. The shots would be long simple pans similar to a dolly, and edited into a ground based series of shots. But I am very aware of our delicate relationship with public opinion of drones, and we have to tread and fly carefully.

How many 2.4 ghz devices in and around that space? Any microwave ovens?
I think I've lost contact/control with/of my phantom several times and I'm not sure exactly why except for my inexperience at the controls.
I shoot recital video for several dance companies and their feathers and strips of lace won't stand up to a phantom thrashing and that's forsure.
Quality of video produced by a GoPro in a typical gym is a long way from that nice footage you shot in the PotHole ravine

I was wondering about indoor shooting as well, but without people in the way.

So GPS mode? Im wondering if it doesnt work, how did DJI set up indoor and allow people with 0 flying experience to fly the Phantom at NAB in Vegas?

Hawklin said:

So GPS mode? Im wondering if it doesnt work, how did DJI set up indoor and allow people with 0 flying experience to fly the Phantom at NAB in Vegas?
ATTI mode, not GPS required at all.

Think of like this.

GPS= location, HL and maybe CL. Not sure on CL
Atti= keeping it level. Flight Controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawklin said:

Good point. I was actually in the old Astrodome in Houston in 1986 and they had a helicopter take off and fly overhead at a trade show! Inside! Must not have invented lawyers back then.

Enclosed indoor flying you will fly in ATTI mode no matter what position of the flight switch (GPS or ATTI).
I flied in my living room on the second floor of 3 story building and get 1 or 2 RED, while the other member upgrade his GPS antenna and claims to get no red with 2 floors above him.
Keep it in the GPS mode so you can see how many satellites it locks in when fly indoor. However, if you happen to see no RED, you may want to switch to ATTI mode for smoother video.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj