Indoor Flying - Stainless Steel

BDS

Reaction score
I am starting the planning process to shoot video in a facility that is nothing but stainless steel. This makes me nervous. What are recommendations or suggestions? I am flying a Phantom Professional. The facility is open in the middle and is around 30' tall. I would compare it to maybe flying in the Anhiesure Busch factory in St. Louis. Thanks!

Well, I may try with a Mavic, given its stability and tripod mode, but I wouldn't do it with a P3A or P that's for sure.

Why is that? Interfence? Or just model of drone?
Thanks!
Mavic has much better indoor stability and flight performance than the 3 series, and is much smaller too. There are many videos on YouTube showing it's indoor performance.

Mavic has much better indoor stability and flight performance than the 3 series, and is much smaller too.

But if I fly in ATTI mode, shouldn't that cancel any interference? I'm worried whatever mode I choose the PP3 will inedvertely go AWOL and break $60 mil worth of equip. I have insurance but that's a "Stinger" of a claim;) it's maybe 20-30 shots, all close in parameter.

But if I fly in ATTI mode, shouldn't that cancel any interference? I'm worried whatever mode I choose the PP3 will inedvertely go AWOL and break $60 mil worth of equip. I have insurance but that's a "Stinger" of a claim;) it's maybe 20-30 shots, all close in parameter.
Yes, you'd have to fly in ATTI and that's the problem - it's not the same as flying ATTI outdoors where there is little chance of hitting something. As I said, I'd never fly indoors with a P3 A or P (they're the same AC) as they drift quite a lot, so get a Mavic which is rock-solid indoors. Also, I presume you're getting paid for this? If so, then you'll probably need your country professional qualification too, not just insurance.

I am starting the planning process to shoot video in a facility that is nothing but stainless steel. This makes me nervous. What are recommendations or suggestions?
Don't fly into anything. Don't get too close to any objects.

I'm not sure what the possible answers could be. Do you feel that you have the experience needed to fly indoor in such conditions? If the answer is no, then don't.

You may also want to use prop guards.

Reactions: JoBe

I'm not sure what the possible answers could be. Do you feel that you have the experience needed to fly indoor in such conditions? If the answer is no, then don't.

+1

I was just about to also suggest prop guards for this job only. Otherwise they suck, but for a confined space maybe it makes sense.

The facility is open in the middle and is around 30' tall.

If the location is open in the middle, won't you still have GPS there? I'm assuming you mean open to the sky. Is that right.

If not, practice atti mode if you haven't done so a bunch already.

Depending on the floor structure and heights that you will be flying, the VPS should help you stabilize. With no wind to contend with, you really shouldn't have too much of a drift problem. add my voice to the prop guard recommendation.

Reactions: JoBe and BDS
We've shot many INDOOR sessions with no problems using P3S and P3P. Set to ATTI from the get go and be good at flying manually.

The only problems we've encountered was near walls or other objects where the airflow got "messy". Just keep these things in mind and don't fly beyond your personal abilities.

We've shot many INDOOR sessions with no problems using P3S and P3P. Set to ATTI from the get go and be good at flying manually.

The only problems we've encountered was near walls or other objects where the airflow got "messy". Just keep these things in mind and don't fly beyond your personal abilities.
Anyone that asks for this type of advise Al, will probably not have the required skills you do!

Also, I presume you're getting paid for this? If so, then you'll probably need your country professional qualification too, not just insurance.
Licencing is all about aviation safety - not about who can and can't sell photos.
I very much doubt that the FAA would care in the slightest about indoor flights.

Licencing is all about aviation safety - not about who can and can't sell photos.
I very much doubt that the FAA would care in the slightest about indoor flights.
Ahhh, right. Sorry, that's not the case in the U.K. You have to gain a flight school qualification with an approved CAA company, be fully insured and and produce an Operations Manual to gain certification with the CAA which then has to be renewed annually to use a UAV for any commercial purposes.

Reactions: Meta4
And we thought we had it tough here in the US!!

Reactions: BigAl07
It's about a $2,500 initial investment - training, test, flight test, manual and insurance - and then an annual cost of $1,000.

Ahhh, right. Sorry, that's not the case in the U.K. You have to gain a flight school qualification with an approved CAA company, be fully insured and and produce an Operations Manual to gain certification with the CAA which then has to be renewed annually to use a UAV for any commercial purposes.

That sounds like how it "should" be.

Not disagreeing Al. It's thorough, because all about safety and competence and that is relevant whether you're operating inside or out.

I personally would like to see the US follow this model and go that same route. I fully believe we are doing the UAS industry a huge disservice by not having any type of formal "flying ability verification" in our system. But that's my 2 cents and I'm sure I am vastly in the minority with my way of thinking.

Issues regarding interference. I have over 100 hours of flight and doing that 22 minutes at a time takes awhile. Lol

Yes, you'd have to fly in ATTI and that's the problem - it's not the same as flying ATTI outdoors where there is little chance of hitting something. As I said, I'd never fly indoors with a P3 A or P (they're the same AC) as they drift quite a lot, so get a Mavic which is rock-solid indoors. Also, I presume you're getting paid for this? If so, then you'll probably need your country professional qualification too, not just insurance.
I do:)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4