Indoor Flying Experiences

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing about P4 indoor flying. I've done about a half dozen indoor flights with my P3A to success.

It would seem the P4 would be even easier indoors, but before I do fly myself, thought I'd reach out to the forum.

Reactions: NormanNormal
I have a proyect in which i have to do indoors flights in a theather with my P4 for a local artist musical video in a controlled environment and i'm wondering if the active track mode can be used in Atti mode without GPS

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a proyect in which i have to do indoors flights in a theather with my P4 for a local artist musical video in a controlled environment and i'm wondering if the active track mode can be used in Atti mode without GPS

No. It only works in P mode. Once you switch out of P mode, the intelligent mode button goes away.

With that being said, you can still fly indoors in the P mode with NON-GPS VPS.

Active track uses the information in the camera and the computing power in the tab or phone to function so I don't see why it couldn't but there might be a reason that they won't let you but it would be for safety or something. In theory, there is no reason.

No. It only works in P mode. Once you switch out of P mode, the intelligent mode button goes away.

A fact. There is no reason it shouldn't work but it's too fast in S mode and what's the point in ATTI mode?

Indoors you don't want any automated features unless you don't like the people around you.

Last edited:
I'm interested in hearing about P4 indoor flying. I've done about a half dozen indoor flights with my P3A to success.

It would seem the P4 would be even easier indoors, but before I do fly myself, thought I'd reach out to the forum.

The sensors doesn't work that good, smaller space is even harder. Aircraft drifts badly especially if you have magnetic interference around indoors. I damaged one propeller after the aircraft drifted and hit my tv stand... It made a huge scratch on hardened glass panel on my tv stand..

So fly with caution and do not rely on the so called object avoidance sensors and the sonar

The thing I'm not seeing mentioned here is that, if you are operating in a DARKENED theater, the Vision Positioning Sensors might not work. From what I recall from the owner's manual, the system requires a decent amount of light to function correctly. Too dark, or too bright, and it won't be able to see where it is. There was a whole laundry-list of reasons why the VPS might not work (repetitive pattern, shiny floor, carpet, water, etc, etc.)

Reactions: Jussaguy
Active track uses the information in the camera and the computing power in the tab or phone to function so I don't see why it couldn't but there might be a reason that they won't let you but it would be for safety or something. In theory, there is no reason.

A fact. There is no reason it shouldn't work but it's too fast in S mode and what's the point in ATTI mode?

Indoors you don't want any automated features unless you don't like the people around you.

Actually it will be in a controlled environment, the shooting will be without any public in the theather, only the singer and the production team will be there.

Good to know, thanks!!!

The sensors doesn't work that good, smaller space is even harder. Aircraft drifts badly especially if you have magnetic interference around indoors.
What mode did you experience this drift with? Did you have a compass error notification on the RC when you got magnetic interference (which you implied). Or, were there no warnings on the RC during the drifting you experienced indoors with your P4?

No reason why not to.. These things fly very well indoors. I have flown both the P3 and P4 in my bedroom, through doorways and all around the house.. I just put it in Atti mode. Sometimes I don't use an iPad either, just the transmitter. I have no fear doing this because I have many hours flying smaller toy and hobby grade quads like Symas and Hubsans.. No GPS, no Wifi, no nothing.. Just good old fashioned manual control. Compared to flying those smaller manual quads the Phantom is a piece of cake.

2016-04-10_b.JPG 2016-04-10_c.jpg 2016-04-10_d.jpg Yesterday was a rainy day, yet the battery was charged up, flew inside.

No reason why not to.. These things fly very well indoors. I have flown both the P3 and P4 in my bedroom, through doorways and all around the house.. I just put it in Atti mode. Sometimes I don't use an iPad either, just the transmitter. I have no fear doing this because I have many hours flying smaller toy and hobby grade quads like Symas and Hubsans.. No GPS, no Wifi, no nothing.. Just good old fashioned manual control. Compared to flying those smaller manual quads the Phantom is a piece of cake.

That's a very valid point. When we are flying at the park, lots of parents tell us that they bought their kids little "toy" drones, and I always tell them that if their kids can fly the small indoor drones, then these Phantoms would be a piece of cake for them!!

Reactions: snowghost
When I flew the P3 indoors I took advantage of the VPS. I also fly the X5C around the house. It's fun to blow out candles as it's affected by the slightest air currents.

My very first flight w/ my P4 was in my small apt (see video below). I had to turn off obstacle avoidance because I was so close to the walls, it wouldn't do anything with it on. In tight spaces, it creates turbulence that can cause it to drift... I nearly crashed it as a result. In a larger theater space this might not be an issue. Just make sure you're very subtle with the controls... you might even want to turn down the sensitivity in the settings.

My P4 flew great indoors UNTIL I did the current firmware upgrade. Now it drifts badly. As I read the forums I understand I need to do an IMU calibration.

Reactions: Takeoff_Smith
I did a short flight indoors in my living room last night.. Quite different than the P3 due to the CA. It's quite conservative. And yes you have to pay attention to the turbulence.

Reactions: Takeoff_Smith
One of the only times I ever had a minor crash of my P3 was hand catching the landing while indoors. I'm right handed, so naturally reach with my right hand to hand catch, but your left hand on the left stick cannot do anything to keep you from drifting into something, so be sure to use your left hand to hand catch when in tight spaces so you can control left/right and forward/backward with your right hand.

One of the only times I ever had a minor crash of my P3 was hand catching the landing while indoors. I'm right handed, so naturally reach with my right hand to hand catch, but your left hand on the left stick cannot do anything to keep you from drifting into something, so be sure to use your left hand to hand catch when in tight spaces so you can control left/right and forward/backward with your right hand.

I hand catch outside all the time. But inside I land it. Just curious why you wouldn't just land--you'd have both hands on the sticks.

I hand catch outside all the time. But inside I land it. Just curious why you wouldn't just land--you'd have both hands on the sticks.
Probably should have, but I was on a stage and there was other things around on the floor. Plus, I've just made a habit of hand catching for landing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl