Indoor flying...and outdoors in the winter

Reaction score
Sooner or later it's going to get too cold out to fly comfortably so I'm starting to think about indoor flying. I've looked at the threads here and it seems that GPS can penetrate certain building materials. I have access to a building that's as large as an indoor tennis court (it is..but a little bit larger) with unobstructed height of about 40 feet. The building is concrete and timber except for the windows and some structural steel support members below the roof. I'm checking with the GC to see what other materials were used. The tall side walls are about 40% glass to the roof line.

One day soon I'll set up the craft on the floor and power it up to see if it gets the GPS green lights at run up...but in the mean time does anyone have any thoughts? It's one thing to land on the lawn or in a meadow...but not looking forward to a crash into the rubberized concrete floor or a side wall.

Any suggestions on cold weather flying outdoors?

Andrew

:D Hi Andrew,
It's unlikely you will get GPS lock inside. You could, if you're set on flying inside, practice flying in ATTI mode outside first. In bad weather you can run into the same problem with dropping sats. and you will be glad you can control the phantom without the minimum 6 sats. I would practice outside with good weather and the safety of switching back to GPS Lock first.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic