Indicator lights on phantom 2

Watching this one...... I had the same problem today...... eventually had to go and hold my hand under the rear LEDs so I could see when they went green. It would have been nice to have lights on the top of the rear arms also for this reason.....

Crouch.

Or use local reflections to your advantage.

Or if you have installed an FPV system with something like iOSD installed, you can see the amount of connected satellites and the home point on an external display.

Or install small angled or rounded mirrors or something reflective (like aluminum foil and cardboard) under the Phantom arms to reflect colored light out and upwards for direct visibility.

Something else you could try, which I haven't attempted or researched, is attaching an extra LED to the leads of an existing LED, or possibly relocate one or more of the existing LEDs. This would require a decent soldering iron and some decent experience with a steady hand, and I have no idea how much of the LED traces/leads, if any, are exposed. I figured I would at least mention this as a possible option since this forum is a place full of modders/tinkerers/tech people anyway, and someone might be more ambitious than myself to see if/how that would work.

neil64 said:
Or if you have installed an FPV system with something like iOSD installed, you can see the amount of connected satellites and the home point on an external display.

Now why didn't I think of that ? (I have FPV and iOSD) I guess the little diamond icon doesn't show up until I have a GPS lock ?

Actually, I think the GPS home diamond indicator shows up regardless of GPS signal or home lock, so I'm not sure if there is an indicator that lets you know exactly when/if the Phantom 2 has its home position locked. But as long as its connected to at least 6 satellites for at least a minute or so, It should be good. There may be a difference on screen with iOSD when the position is locked or not, but I don't think so.

I always launch from on top of my case, which has a few stickers on it that reflect the LEDs nicely

It would be good if the P2 had the option of using audio based indications as well. Granted, you would have a hard time hearing them while in the air but I find the indicator lights are not very useful both on the ground and in the air. Yesterday, I didn't see the flashing red lights and inadvertently ran my battery down to the point where the Phantom reduced power on it's own and I had to power all the way up to keep it from eating dirt.

ianwood said:
Yesterday, I didn't see the flashing red lights and inadvertently ran my battery down to the point where the Phantom reduced power on it's own and I had to power all the way up to keep it from eating dirt.

Well that should be expected - you should always be aware of your battery power. You should monitor your flight times with a stop watch to get an idea of your average flight time. Most RC pilots also monitor flight battery voltage via FPV.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl