Increasing Flying Range

Reaction score
I'm a little confused, does doing the Stage 1 or Stage 2 kit from FPVLR increase both the FPV range as well as the distance the Phantom will fly before RTH? I have a P2V.

So I'm assuming that when I see videos that show flying 6000 plus feet that the FPV is also working at that distance since telemetry would stop if not. Is that correct?

Your mileage may vary depending on where you fly it. I ordered the pigtail adapter for$5 and got a 5db omni directional antenna at frys. This mod is $20 and it more than doubled the range I get when flying around other wifi networks. When I get out away from interference I've been out to 3600 ft.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,341
Got a link to where I can buy version 2? how hard is it to install?

Looking to do the same mod. Can you post links to the items you ordered?

Hello.. I want to get bit more range with wi-fi.... Can U post the links from e-bay and how to install to drone..
Thnx

Hello.. I want to get bit more range with wi-fi....
There is another alternative coming soon.

It separates the human control point from the final radio uplink point.

The REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater does just that. It repeaters (re-broadcasts) the P2V Controllers 5.8ghz data packets.

For a P2V machine, you would need a third party WiFi 2.4ghz Range Extender along with the above REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater. Mount both repeaters on a camera tripod. Or, fly both of them on a second repeater drone.

Then set comfortably in your car or other shaded area.

Reactions: WD40
hi guys. i use a stock phantom 5.8 antenna and a tp-link antenna on the transmitter. the phantom has no problem to go over 1800m but when i return home the 5.8 signal is not very stable (any thougts why thats happening?).
my question is:
is this kind of mod going to solve my problem ? or do i have to install a bigger 5.8 antenna in the transmitter/phantom ? Thanks
20140915_185909498_iOS_preview_featured.jpg

is this kind of mod going to solve my problem ?
DJI appears to do their RF homework. On some of their 2.4ghz antennas (wifi), they have taken in to account mounting near plastic which can de-tune an antenna if not taken in to account. I have used expensive network analyzer equipment to measure SWR and Return Loss on their 2.4ghz antennas as they are mounted in place. The 2.4ghz antennas I checked are good as they are mounted.

As for the 5.8ghz dipoles mounted on the drone: I don't have direct access to a network analyzer that can measure the SWR and Return Loss as they are mounted on the drone. Sometimes when we make a mod, it can be very subjective going out in the field to test-compare-fly.

Hi folks. In the past i have tried high gain 2.4ghz omni antennas and 5.8 patch antennas to increase my control range. The BEST and CHEAPEST solution to get over 3.5km control range is:
Tp-link dual band antenna 6dbi with a diy reflector (aluminium foil mod).
Woth this antenna previus i got 1.8km now i get over 3.5km.

If someone is intrested for more specs just pm me

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj