increase the failsafe altitude?

Reaction score
I think I understand the current failsafe procedure:
If <60 feet, it will climb to 60feet, return home, land
If >60 feet, it will maintain alt, return home, land.

Pretty cool.... except I have giant pine trees around my neighboorhood that are approx 100-120 ft high.

Is there any way to re-program the 60 foot limit? A modification? A hack?

I know I can take control, increase altitude, then let failsafe continue, but thats not as automatic or "failsafe"

Duh.
May have answered my own question.... found this reference:

"Real Life example on why a manual Home Point reset might be useful: I set a new home position 100ft away and 100ft high. I initiated Failsafe and the model climbed to 160ft and went to the new home location. I will say that it's a bit tricky to set the point, the switch flipping needs to be just right and it's helpful to be able to see the status lights flicker. I tested this specifically to help a guy flying in a golf course around very high trees. He walked under a tree, lost signal, triggered Failsafe, model flew into a tree. Using this method you could set a home point location high above the fairway. If the model then triggers Failsafe, it would climb above all trees, fly over the clear area and land in the fairway, or descend until he could regain control."

So, in my case, I count set a manual home point 60 feet above ground level, so the "trip home" would be at at least 120 ft?

So, if the manual home point is set above ground level, it will still LAND in failsafe mode, correct? (even though landing might be -60 feet vs "manual home)?

Lowepg said:
Duh.

"Real Life example on why a manual Home Point reset might be useful: I set a new home position 100ft away and 100ft high. I initiated Failsafe and the model climbed to 160ft and went to the new home location. I will say that it's a bit tricky to set the point, the switch flipping needs to be just right and it's helpful to be able to see the status lights flicker. I tested this specifically to help a guy flying in a golf course around very high trees. He walked under a tree, lost signal, triggered Failsafe, model flew into a tree. Using this method you could set a home point location high above the fairway. If the model then triggers Failsafe, it would climb above all trees, fly over the clear area and land in the fairway, or descend until he could regain control."

So, in my case, I count set a manual home point 60 feet above ground level, so the "trip home" would be at at least 120 ft?

So, if the manual home point is set above ground level, it will still LAND in failsafe mode, correct? (even though landing might be -60 feet vs "manual home)?
Yes. So you want to take off and go up about 60-80 feet, then flip the S2 (LEFT SIDE) switch up and down 5 times. You will see the leds flicker green quickly. This means the new home point has been set at that altitude and position. When you go into failsafe, it will add an additional 60 feet to that height and return to the home point. Then it will descend until it cannot descend any further, then the motors will shut off. Don't set the home point altitude too high. If your Phantom is coming home due to a low battery, you won't want to waste precious power ascending to an excessive height.

sidebox said:
Yes. So you want to take off and go up about 60-80 feet, then flip the S1 switch up and down 5 times. You will see the leds flicker green quickly. This means the new home point has been set at that altitude and position. When you go into failsafe, it will add an additional 60 feet to that height and return to the home point. Then it will descend until it cannot descend any further, then the motors will shut off. Don't set the home point altitude too high. If your Phantom is coming home due to a low battery, you won't want to waste precious power ascending to an excessive height.

Brilliant.

I'd still love to see DJI make this a programmable option in the future, but this will work in the meantime!

btw, does anything display on the iphone display when home is achieved? Or is there a way to confirm its found a new home (besides watching for the fast blinking tail lights)?

Lowepg said:
sidebox said:
Yes. So you want to take off and go up about 60-80 feet, then flip the S1 switch up and down 5 times. You will see the leds flicker green quickly. This means the new home point has been set at that altitude and position. When you go into failsafe, it will add an additional 60 feet to that height and return to the home point. Then it will descend until it cannot descend any further, then the motors will shut off. Don't set the home point altitude too high. If your Phantom is coming home due to a low battery, you won't want to waste precious power ascending to an excessive height.

Brilliant.

I'd still love to see DJI make this a programmable option in the future, but this will work in the meantime!

btw, does anything display on the iphone display when home is achieved? Or is there a way to confirm its found a new home (besides watching for the fast blinking tail lights)?

Nope. No notification on the display. You're right. There should just be a one touch button for that. I have to imagine they will work it in on a future update. It certainly couldn't hurt to send them a feature request.

sidebox said:
Lowepg said:
Duh.

to avoid setting the home point too high use the FPV with the camera horizontal and see where you need to be to get all the trees in your fly zone a little below centre screen, look at the altimeter on screen then descend 30 - 40 feet and set your home point. in the event of failsafe kicking in it should put you atleast 20 - 30 feet above the tree tops

Lowepg said:
Duh.

Can you please let me know how you go with this.
I am having trouble resetting both direction course lock and home point in mid flight.
RC assistant shows the switches are working.
I can do it in 3.04 firmware and below but struggling in 3.06. It takes about 10 attempts in 3.06 to see the rapid green lights flicker.

Oh.. and to see if it works or not, check your radar distance. Radar should reset to 0.0 on a successful home point reset.

Mako79 said:
I am having trouble resetting both direction course lock and home point in mid flight.
I can do it in 3.04 firmware and below but struggling in 3.06. It takes about 10 attempts in 3.06 to see the rapid green lights flicker.

Oh.. and to see if it works or not, check your radar distance. Radar should reset to 0.0 on a successful home point reset.

First- thank you for the radar distance tip- exactly what I had missed before! Definitely helped confirm.

Second- it worked fine for me with the latest firmware. I WILL say it took a numer of quick-flipping attempts ot get it to register properly. I almost gave up after about 12 unsuccessful attempts.

One reason (maybe) was that I was following the instructions in the Summary Guide which instructed me to flip between course lock and home lock quickly. That didnt seem to work. When I flipped between OFF and home lock, THAT worked.

Lowepg said:
Mako79 said:

First- thank you for the radar distance tip- exactly what I had missed before! Definitely helped confirm.

Second- it worked fine for me with the latest firmware. I WILL say it took a numer of quick-flipping attempts ot get it to register properly. I almost gave up after about 12 unsuccessful attempts.

One reason (maybe) was that I was following the instructions in the Summary Guide which instructed me to flip between course lock and home lock quickly. That didnt seem to work. When I flipped between OFF and home lock, THAT worked.

Darn firmware. Thanks for the confirmation.
I use the CL and HL frequently on my flights and its becoming a FLICKING nightmare.
It chews up flight time just to reset a new Direction lock or height for RTH..

Hopefully addressed in the 7th Channel firmware!!!

sidebox said:

I am pretty sure the switch you need to be flicking to reset your HP is the S2 switch and not the S1. I have a very hard time getting that to work for me, so maybe it is the S1 switch, but I think it is the S2 one. Flicking the S1 switch will put the bird into compass calibration mode, which might not be a good idea when hovering 80 feet up. I am sure the experts will correct me if if I am wrong. :)

Beaugolfs said:
sidebox said:

I am pretty sure the switch you need to be flicking to reset your HP is the S2 switch and not the S1. I have a very hard time getting that to work for me, so maybe it is the S1 switch, but I think it is the S2 one. Flicking the S1 switch will put the bird into compass calibration mode, which might not be a good idea when hovering 80 feet up. I am sure the experts will correct me if if I am wrong. :)

Correct, S2 button.

sidenote: why is the right button 1 and the left 2? :)

Lowepg said:
Correct, S2 button.

Great question! I have always wondered that too! I was always taught to read left to right.

Lowepg said:
Beaugolfs said:
sidebox said:

Correct, S2 button.

Probably because Chinese people read right to left and not left to right as we do.

Beaugolfs said:
sidebox said:

Oh no... This is what you get for responding to posts in the middle of the night... good catch!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj