Increase range

Holy crap enough of the pissing match, there is enough room for all to coexist.

Obviously I have stated where my loyalty lies in my signature, some like small mods with large gains and others like extreme Frankenstein looking mods with possibly larger gains. But in the end we just love to fly!

Damon said:
Holy crap enough of the pissing match, there is enough room for all to coexist.

... in the end we just love to fly!

True dat bro... sorry for my part in that childishness... didn't expect things to go that way...

loved your comment about "butt cheeks were puckered tight enough doing a 1.7 mile run with my gear. Could have cracked walnuts;)"

I remember that feeling years ago when i first lost sight of my bird and had to go full FPV... coulda turned barbeque briquets into diamonds that day... and it's still the thrill that keeps me coming back for more. :ugeek:

+1

DBS said:
ShaneLawler said:
I need a compact 2.4Ghz and 5.8ghz signal booster (similar to this: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1523470960 ) small enough to fit on (or inside) the Phantom itself.

Just looking at his one thing for the moment... it is the wrong type of booster to use inside the vision plus... it is a one way booster to transmit only... If it is configured for 2.4Ghz then it needs to be two way in and out so it won't work... If it is configured for 5.8Ghz then it would need to receive so it wouldn't work... The only one spot that booster would function on a Vision Plus setup is if it was 5.8 and boosting the transmitter from the ground...

For the rest of your list... you need to think of range vs. portability...

If you want the longest range... itelite patch panels win with no mods to the V+ so you keep the weight down....
If you want 3/4 of that longest range with smaller hardware ... then Horizon/FPVLR style CP antennas win with more portability but you need to mod the Phantom side to get any farther ...

Any of these antennas you order will come with the appropriate pigtails to plug them in...
Any of the boosters you order will come with the pigtails also...

Don't boost the Phantom's onboard stuff until you have gone thru the booster apps and antenna options... you should be able to get more signal range than the V+ battery can outrun without boosting anything from the bird side... it adds more weight and drains battery quicker and overall doesn't gain you as much as some serious antenna tuning.

Dbs, exactly what model are you using ? Have a video link on how to do it ?

Thnks.

Alexbar said:
DBS said:
If you want the longest range... itelite patch panels win with no mods to the V+ so you keep the weight down....

Dbs, exactly what model are you using ? Have a video link on how to do it ?

Thnks.

I'm using three antennas... one for 5.8Ghz control... two for 2.4Ghz wifi video and telemetry...

The 5.8 is itelite PRA50019 ... http://www.itelite.net/en/Katalog/5-GHz-80211a-Triband//PRA50019.html
The two 2.4 are itelite SRA24019 ...http://www.itelite.net/en/Katalog/24-GHz-80211-bg/

Sunhans 2000mW booster on the 5.8Ghz control...
RF-LINX 1000mW booster on one of the 2.4 WiFi...

And no, sorry, i don't have a video of how i put mine together... but i guess i should work something like that out ... i do have time off coming up the next couple weeks so i'll try and splice something together. :D

DBS said:
I'm using three antennas... one for 5.8Ghz control... two for 2.4Ghz wifi video and telemetry...

The 5.8 is itelite PRA50019 ... http://www.itelite.net/en/Katalog/5-GHz-80211a-Triband//PRA50019.html
The two 2.4 are itelite SRA24019 ...http://www.itelite.net/en/Katalog/24-GHz-80211-bg/

Correct me if I am wrong, but you took two 15 inch X 15 inch flat patch antennas, coupled with a 10 x 10 inch flat patch antenna and stripped them out of their plastic casing, remounted them on a board(metal?) of some kind, I am guessing you remounted the PCBs also? And then you amplified them to achieve the 16000+ feet flight? I'm just wondering what you used to mount them with, a piece of 4' x 8' plywood?

Awesome results, no matter how you did it. If my info above is correct, not really practical for your average P2V+ owner though.

Jstic said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but you took two 15 inch X 15 inch flat patch antennas, coupled with a 10 x 10 inch flat patch antenna and stripped them out of their plastic casing, remounted them on a board(metal?) of some kind, I am guessing you remounted the PCBs also? And then you amplified them to achieve the 16000+ feet flight? I'm just wondering what you used to mount them with, a piece of 4' x 8' plywood?

Awesome results, no matter how you did it. If my info above is correct, not really practical for your average P2V+ owner though.

Corrections... stripped them out of their plastic housings and they end up 12 x 12... coupled with the smaller one at 6 x 6 ... no need to mount them on any board or do anything to the PCBs as they are already mounted to aluminum ground plane reflectors... amplified them to achieve 19,964ft range... used thin strips of aluminum to tie them together...

Shoot i even added a dasboard that shows me flight time and dual amp temperatures and amp battery voltage... so obviously it's overboard and i don't care about size or weight
20140823_195132_zps8mg8dhe4.jpg

Measurements were a little off but you are correct with your assumption... not really practical for the average P2V+ owner... if you need to pack things up and carry everything in a case or backpack then this isn't your deal... when i go out flying the car is my case so i have more than enough room... and i fly right next to my car so i don't need to backpack anything anywhere... AND this setup is just for record setting attempts... it's not like i fly this way every day... all this stuff pops off easily and swaps out in minutes for a smaller set that gives me 11,000ft and is just as small as the tx without batteries and amps and all the other mess of crap associated with these maximum range flights.

Massive front side shot... Green Acres is the place to be... :lol:
20140904_154139-picsay_zpsyxni2n5e.jpg

Control side... lots of room so it doesn't look so crammed with crap... but still huge enough to scare away the mere mortals... :ugeek:
20140904_154319_zpszu1kfsue.jpg

You know I can see a propane tank on your back in the near future.

Perfect !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues