Increase in the number of crash threads recently?

Reaction score
Is it just me, or has any other 'old timer' noticed a spike in the number of crash threads recently? Last time I remember a spike like this was when the data pins connections were faulty and the P2s were falling from the sky, or when 1.5 caused the batteries to shut down. Maybe I just notice them more?

Or, maybe the forum membership is continuing to grow?

There is a problem and I hear the P4's are also having issues.

We just need to pay attention and look for which seems to be the most common. Then determine if there is a possible band aid until it is taken care of properly.

Reactions: meissner58
Or, maybe the forum membership is continuing to grow?

That, and the fact that the greater percentage of owners only turn to internet forums when they've had a problem. The average Phantom owner isn't going to take the time to sign up to a forum unless they're having problems they need help with.

But, in answer to the OP, yes, there have been a whole lot just lately. I've noticed it too.

Is it just me, or has any other 'old timer' noticed a spike in the number of crash threads recently? Last time I remember a spike like this was when the data pins connections were faulty and the P2s were falling from the sky, or when 1.5 caused the batteries to shut down. Maybe I just notice them more?

More people are buying Phantom drones.

There is a problem and I hear the P4's are also having issues.

We just need to pay attention and look for which seems to be the most common. Then determine if there is a possible band aid until it is taken care of properly.

That's the reason I am going to sit tight before I buy a P4, wait until DJI get all of the bugs out, hopefully..

I dont know if its related, but I've also noticed a big increase in P3S and P4 owners posting in the P3A/P3P forum.

Reactions: JoBe
I dont know if its related, but I've also noticed a big increase in P3S and P4 owners posting in the P3A/P3P forum.

Why do you suppose that is?

Why do you suppose that is?
Sturm und Drang?

The GPS / ATTI issue has been popular of late. I think there is something that DJI tweaked to cause that but of course, we don't know and won't know. (Personally, my guess is Alien motherships interfering with the GPS signals as they fly overhead but I can't seem to get much traction for that). I don't think that Random Falls From Altitude posts have changed much. Remember, in a random distribution you are going to get events bunched together at times. Correlation is not causation. Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball.

What about P2V owners? :grinning:

I find this forum to be the most interesting - probably because there's more posts! But I've noticed when I first started reading this forum, I'd scroll through 24 hours, and it would be 5 pages consistently. Now it's more like 3 pages. Meanwhile, the P3S and P4 forums are becoming more active, but very slowly.

The P2 forums are almost completely dead. :weary:

My theory is that people who read the forums regularly are more likely to have also read their owner's manual and are less likely to have crashes.

It also seems that the people who start threads about crashes frequently have a single digit or double digit number of total posts.

I was just thinking the same...I'm curious if Yuneec Typhoons are having all these problems that Dji Phantoms are? Looks like I'm about to troll around Yuneec threads a bit and find out. I understand pilot error but lately I been seeing similar issues happen to even the seasoned pilots.

This is where I am with it. Combined with the threads here where it's blatantly obvious that some folks don't spend the time to really read and understand the manuals before they fly. I'm new to DJI, but not new to RC's or a lot of the software/hardware/GPS concepts that go behind it and I literally didn't put my bird in the air for over a week after I bought it. I read the manuals, perused the forums, read the manuals again, and keep the manuals on my iPad in case I need to reference them.

I think part of it is DJI's fault where they've tried to make the user experience simple, in that a lot of folks take them out of the box and fly them, picking up bad habits in doing so that they never know are bad.

((more Phantom pilots) = (more Phantom crashes))
DJI really ought to start a 'bad landing club'. Crash your Phantom, show us a picture, get a replacement for 30% (or whatever) off. Yes, they often do that after you upload the logs and whine at them, but a up front program that replaces the drone at a reasonable price might yield some warm and fuzzies for the company and keep the tech support people a bit saner.

Reactions: Digdat0
Sturm und Drang?

The GPS / ATTI issue has been popular of late. I think there is something that DJI tweaked to cause that but of course, we don't know and won't know. (Personally, my guess is Alien motherships interfering with the GPS signals as they fly overhead but I can't seem to get much traction for that). I don't think that Random Falls From Altitude posts have changed much. Remember, in a random distribution you are going to get events bunched together at times. Correlation is not causation. Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Dead on. In my case it was a GPS issue that DJI will not acknowledge. They are scum. They saw my log file and lied about my crash. Just boldface lied to me and I am looking at the log and wondering how they are still in business when I can clearly see what they are looking at. The latest firmware is causing all the P3's to become lawn darts and they won't honor any warranties. Yes, if you look at their own forums their complaints have risen dramatically. They just totally make up bs about why the drone crashes. I will never deal with them ever again.

They are scum.

Now now. DJI isn't quite that bad. I reserve that much angst for politicians. You must be new here..... (old joke) - but these forums always are full of Phantoms (or politicians or iPhones, or laptops or cars, generally doesn't make much difference) that are crashing or otherwise misbehaving. Happy normal people don't hang out on forums much. Just people either looking for trouble or having trouble.

DJI is really in a funny position. They want these things to be totally simple and care free. But aircraft are anything but that and although the Phantoms are really impressive bits of tech for the price, they are pretty primitive in a lot of ways (like upgrading firmware, come on folks, it's not 1997 anymore). They have made great strides in customer service in the past two years but still have a ways to go.

I'm sure that being in the customer service trenches at DJI is a pretty miserable job. For every person with a valid complaint there are likely dozens who manage to be engineering nightmares. Who ever thought you would try to start the thing with the props on the ground and the legs in the air? You can't out engineer stupid, it's been tried many times.

So bash on DJI as hard as you can - seems to have helped - but do put it in some sort of perspective.

That, and the fact that the greater percentage of owners only turn to internet forums when they've had a problem.

Good point. It's the same on most other forums like cars, RV's and whatever else is for sale out there.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic