Incosistent brightness on the BAT LEDs.

Reaction score
So, I was told by someone that they had bats with different LED brightness and I was asked to look at mine (currently have 2, that's about to change in a big way) and indeed the brightness on one is greater than the other.

Feel like a broken record as this is not an issue to me in and of itself but what the heck?

Do you think it's enough to effect battery length?

Do you think it's a greater problem?

Bizarre. I love DJI but some consistency would really be nice.

It is actually brighter in person.

image_zpsfctn7hs1.jpeg

Intensity of the battery LED light doesn't matter but you are right, DJI should have consistency in their products. It's a QA issue.

As a rule smaller issues result into bigger issues.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Holy mackerel do you guys actually fly or do you just sit on the Internet and discuss flying? Who cares about the brightness, DJI I'm sure like all electronic manufactures incrementally tweak their products based on feedback or have different suppliers who's parts are perform within tolerance but might look different but damm, every other post on this forum lately just seem like OMG OMG OMG

Everyone wants their extra battery to ship from China in 3days AND they want availability because everyone wants at least 2. How do you think DJI is able to react to all those constraints? I'm sure they source green LED from Foxconn and Greener LEDs from Sharp just so you can get your second battery on time. Just enjoy your product, go outside and create something beautiful and stop worrying if the greener LED is drawing more amps so you can return it to apple and run through their inventory to find one with matching greenness

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Holy mackerel do you guys actually fly or do you just sit on the Internet and discuss flying? Who cares about the brightness, DJI I'm sure like all electronic manufactures incrementally tweak their products based on feedback or have different suppliers who's parts are perform within tolerance but might look different but damm, every other post on this forum lately just seem like OMG OMG OMG

Everyone wants their extra battery to ship from China in 3days AND they want availability because everyone wants at least 2. How do you think DJI is able to react to all those constraints? I'm sure they source green LED from Foxconn and Greener LEDs from Sharp just so you can get your second battery on time. Just enjoy your product, go outside and create something beautiful and stop worrying if the greener LED is drawing more amps so you can return it to apple and run through their inventory to find one with matching greenness

It was reported that the batteries have been made in different factories.

Have you noticed if one battery seems to perform better than the other?
Nope but the "Total Capacity" on the brighter one has about 100mAh more than the other but that shouldn't matter. There is a transistor (or whatever the electronic thing that controls flow) that should keep it the same regardless of the amount of electricity in the bat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Intrepid97

The irony of this post is the most delicious thing I've ever eaten.

You do know that Internet forums are for discussions right? And this one in particular is for discussing Phantoms and this sub category is for discussing the Phantom 4, and this thread is for discussing the battery light and the inconsistencies seemingly inherent to this machine.

In my OP, I stated that it's not an issue in and of itself but it's a massive consistency issue.

Take any iPhone, a new one, set it to the highest brightness and use a light meter and test 200 of them and 198 will be virtually identical.

But do us all a favor and please make another long post complaining about something that this whole website/forum exists for.

Yum yum yum. Give me more.

And I'm snuggling with my daughter as she falls asleep and I usually don't fly when I'm doing that.

What would you like to discuss?

Good evening sir.

Intensity of the battery LED light doesn't matter but you are right, DJI should have consistency in their products. It's a QA issue.

As a rule smaller issues result into bigger issues.
Agree. I'm no electronic guru so I don't know if the LED effects anything but it's actually significantly brighter making me wonder if it cuts down the flight time. I'm not schooled enough in electeonic engineering to know this.

Judging by the fact that you can leave a fishing LED Phantom not flying on for a very long time, my inclination is that it doesn't effect that but I just like my electronics to be the same, especially when I own multiples.

I never even noticed until someone pointed it out but the "this is the norm with electronics" people with all the issues are coming out of the woodwork and it's not true.

My job has me working in a very controlled and calibrated world. It's a CONSTANT battle for consistency. We have vectorscopes, waveform monitors, video monitors, studio monitors, cameras, lenses, and many other things that are absolutely necessary to be consistent or one scene could look different than another. Electronics aren't inherently inconsistent, but the opposite. A $4 GE 40 watt light bulb is highly consistent. A $169 LED battery (LEDs are much more controllable and much less power comsumptive) should me more so.

These are just discussions amongst bored people. I'm not losing sleep about it, just am saying, what is going on with all the different iterations of this product?

As we talked, here are the pictures of the 3 batteries I have, the LED color and intensity is the same in lit and dark room. Also charged all 3 batteries (one charges to 100% and two only to 98% ???) and at the same temp checked for voltage and power mAh. Here are the pictures.
Will keep the 100% as main. The battery with 2 charges (original battery) is the middle value. Need to fly more often and cycle the batteries.
pic 1.PNG
pic 2.PNG
pic 3.PNG
pic 4.PNG
pic 5.PNG

As we talked, here are the pictures of the 3 batteries I have, the LED color and intensity is the same in lit and dark room. Also charged all 3 batteries (one charges to 100% and two only to 98% ???) and at the same temp checked for voltage and power mAh. Here are the pictures.
Will keep the 100% as main. The battery with 2 charges (original battery) is the middle value. Need to fly more often and cycle the batteries.
View attachment 52559 View attachment 52560 View attachment 52561 View attachment 52562 View attachment 52563
I am confused, any battery with above 5350 should be 100% as the max is that.

A battery with two charges should not be below 100%! You should have a bat for a solid 6-8 months if properly taken care of before it falls below 100%. Also, where is your your remaining battery?

Hit the button the battery button in the upper right corner and see if you get more info. I am confused as to why I am not seeing the percentage left. A little confused here.

You can give me a call in a couple hours if you want. That is truly strange. Are those the same three bats but in the dark on the bottom?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl