Inconsistent Crooked Horizon - P3A

Reaction score
I'm having horizon issues with my new P3A. It's sometimes noticeably crooked when I get up to any appreciable altitude. It's not consistently crooked however. When I rotate the craft, sometimes this causes it to level out or even tilt the opposite direction. After I noticed it, I did do both an IMU and gimbal calibration which seems to have helped some, but it's still not perfect. Any thoughts? Try another calibration?

This video is post-calibration:
In the last minute, you can see it actually getting worse as I fly in.

This is pre-calibration:
(you can really see it in the last minute or so).

Thanks!

When I rotate the craft, sometimes this causes it to level out or even tilt the opposite direction.

Sounds like the aircraft was trying to deal with a crosswind.

I occasionally bring up the gimbal adjustment in flight and manually square the horizon if it is critical to me. I also shoot in 2.7K and output in 1080P so I have freedom to fix a problem in post with rotation and cropping.

Yes, do another cold IMU calibration, and then do the gimbal calibration.
Take it outside, to calibrate your compass.

You can also adjust the gimbal while flying, from within the Go app.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Jussaguy
Mine is inconsistent too. Probably my #1 complaint. Did all calibrations per spec. but problem persists.

I know this won't be the most welcomed advise you seek, but 'If' all else fails to correct the horizon issue, you know the routine. Send it back, for repair, or replacement. That was one of the first things I checked, with my Phantom 3 Pro'. Does it fly straight and true, and does the camera operate correctly. Thankfully, everything on my new drone works perfectly, and I can let out a loud sigh of relief.

Even with all the various firmware and Go app updates, some of the Phantoms, are still experiencing this problematic horizon issue.
The fact that it sometimes is straight, is a mystery. You have got to think it's in the calibration, even after numerous attempts to correct it.
It is also true, that flying in gusting wind conditions will force the drone to fight the wind, and so it will be flying, slightly off, of being perfectly square and true.

RedHotPoker

Could have been the wind. It was quite breezy. I'll try another round of calibrations and see how she does next weekend. Hopefully a return won't be necessary!

I believe the platform where you are doing calibrations is not leveled. Set the level first and then carry out calibration steps. Believe me it matters most.

Reactions: DrJoe
Could have been the wind. It was quite breezy. I'll try another round of calibrations and see how she does next weekend. Hopefully a return won't be necessary!
Upon reflection, You know, the thing about flying into them windy conditions, is that the gimbal should still even itself out, and be square to the horizon, regardless of the position the drone is in.
You can test this out, by tipping the drone while it's turned on, in various angles, and the camera should still remain straight. So in actuality it is likely not, a fault of those weather conditions.
It has to be a little deeper than your average wind speed.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
My P3P went back twice for the horizon issue. DJi could not fix it. Of course for those of you who have sent a P3 back for repair DJi doesn't tell you what they did. You just get the P3 back. So, I sold it. I firmly believe it's a hit or miss thing with these P3's. DJi may know how to fix it but I guess the 2 bench tech's that worked on my P3 did not?

I firmly believe it's a mechanical issue. I have a P3A as well. It never ever has had a horizon issue. It hasn't had a single issue since I've owned it. It has been rock solid.

Well I'll see how she does this weekend. If I'm still having horizon issues, I'll see about sending it in to DJI. What's the average turn around time on warranty repairs?

My P3P went back twice for the horizon issue. DJi could not fix it. Of course for those of you who have sent a P3 back for repair DJi doesn't tell you what they did. You just get the P3 back. So, I sold it. I firmly believe it's a hit or miss thing with these P3's. DJi may know how to fix it but I guess the 2 bench tech's that worked on my P3 did not?

I firmly believe it's a mechanical issue. I have a P3A as well. It never ever has had a horizon issue. It hasn't had a single issue since I've owned it. It has been rock solid.
Did you explain the problematic gimbal imbalance issue to the buyer?
Or just drop the ball and run like hell? Let him figure it out. So he will be joining the forum soon, with urgent questions, next. Yeah, Buyer Beware...
Oh well, she's gone now, and will be sadly missed, but never forgotten. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Did you explain the problematic gimbal imbalance issue to the buyer?
Or just drop the ball and run like hell? Let him figure it out. So he will be joining the forum, with questions next. Buyer beware...
Oh well, she's gone now, and will be sadly missed, but never forgotten. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Good question. Hmmmm Makes one think. And here in lies the problem with buying used items like these.

I'm having horizon issues with my new P3A. It's sometimes noticeably crooked when I get up to any appreciable altitude. It's not consistently crooked however. When I rotate the craft, sometimes this causes it to level out or even tilt the opposite direction. After I noticed it, I did do both an IMU and gimbal calibration which seems to have helped some, but it's still not perfect. Any thoughts? Try another calibration?

This video is post-calibration:
In the last minute, you can see it actually getting worse as I fly in.

This is pre-calibration:
(you can really see it in the last minute or so).

Thanks!
Well the bad news is Im not sure your current bird will ever be right. I have had 3 adv and 2 pro and 2 of the 3 adv had this isuue.
I have been a phantom flyer since the p1 and know what is what
Cold IMU, north IMU, level IMU,in air imu nothing would fix it .
On one of the advanced even cleared all firmware and started over nothing
sent one back to amazon got a new one
and sent other to dji 3 times before they finally returned it thanks to pressure from My Credit card company

Don,t let others tell you that your not doing something right
Some or should I say many have been plagued with this issue
it comes and goes and corrects itself when facing once direction at times but changes with others.
best to demand a new bird.
I now own 3 and not one does it so they can fly level just need to get a good one

Good question. Hmmmm Makes one think. And here in lies the problem with buying used items like these.

Yeah, exactly. So no, I don't do pawn shops, flea markets and very seldom, will I attend a garage sale, in the alley.
But I pity the fool(ish), if he or others didn't check it out, before purchase.

RedHotPoker

if you do a search on tilted horizon, you'll see that this has been an issue for some time now. All the forums/posts say the same thing, over and over, do a cold IMU calibration, camera calibration, you didn't do it on a level surface, you need to face north when you calibrate, it was windy (what's a gimbal good for if it can't be level in the wind, not to mention you would see props. I know I've had props in the viewing area while still maintaining a level horizon), hold your tongue out, on one foot and sing the star spangle banner with peanut butter in your mouth, fix it in post processing, do a complete 360 in flight to level the horizon, calibrate mid flight... some of these work for some people, while it looks like it's a band aid for others.

I've come to the conclusion unfortunately that you'll either have to send it in if it's bad enough, or hope for a firmware fix

Darn, sounds like a return may be in order. Should I first try to go through the seller and just get a replacement? It was a "fulfilled by Amazon" vendor. I've heard not so great things about DJI customer service.

Darn, sounds like a return may be in order. Should I first try to go through the seller and just get a replacement? It was a "fulfilled by Amazon" vendor. I've heard not so great things about DJI customer service.
amazon is great sent my new one before they even got my old one back.

amazon is great sent my new one before they even got my old one back.

Thanks, I'll see what kind of headway I get with Amazon first. I think I've returned things in the past and it was a pretty painless experience. I've just never returned anything nearly this expensive!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj