In The News UK (Drone )

Quite encouraging reading the majority of the comments on this article. Seems like most can see through the scare tactics.

It will end up with the government / European parliament putting some tax on it at some point. Any new and popular technology normally gets them muscling in.

There are two companies which are currently able to assess pilot competence on behalf of the CAA (they also charge for this). These organisations also offer a service to help people through the process of obtaining a permission.
If you need a permission, the following points are relevant
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid ... geid=16007

One of the courses it says are required Remote Pilot Qualification - small

£1600 course fee, plus CAA charges For a <7 kg platform - £113.00 per type annual renewal £350
http://www.resource-uas.co.uk/RPASTrain ... elist.aspx

I then read

"You must request permission from the CAA if you plan to:

fly the aircraft on a commercial basis (i.e. conducting ‘aerial work’)
or
fly a camera/surveillance fitted aircraft within congested areas or closer (than the distances listed within Article 167) to people or properties (vehicles, vessels or structures) that are not under your control
Permission is not required if:

the aircraft will not be flown close to people or properties, and you will not get ‘valuable consideration’ (i.e. payment) from the flight, then a permission is not needed;"

So basically i guess in the UK if we have a camera/video attached we already need permission? Confused :?:
Happy Days :evil:

I guess it is ok for satellite spying, Google earth and street view, no invasion on my privacy there. :!:
Big business "Amazon, Google etc" want clear skies for their own future, governments will come up with any number of reasons to make using a drone more difficult in the future. Taxes, terrorism,safety,you name it they will think of it.

mrpp said:
I then read

"You must request permission from the CAA if you plan to:

fly the aircraft on a commercial basis (i.e. conducting ‘aerial work’)
or
fly a camera/surveillance fitted aircraft within congested areas or closer (than the distances listed within Article 167) to people or properties (vehicles, vessels or structures) that are not under your control
Permission is not required if:

the aircraft will not be flown close to people or properties, and you will not get ‘valuable consideration’ (i.e. payment) from the flight, then a permission is not needed;"

So basically i guess in the UK if we have a camera/video attached we already need permission? Confused :?:
Happy Days :evil:

Nope, you only need permission - and hence, be qualified if you are flying in or over a village, town or city or within 50M of people.

It is quite simple and straight forward really. Balpa are not concerned about hobby drones particularly, but more large pilotless aircraft sharing commercial space. There is a suggestion that freight aircraft may not require a pilot within the next 20 years or so, which is good news for the airlines, but bad news for pilots!!

So for now.(UK)

Article 167
The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.
The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:

a)

over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

b)

over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;

c)

within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or

d)

subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.simple"

Most youtube clips i have seen come under this within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft

In essence therefore, provided the aircraft has a mass of 20 kg or less, the current regulations state:

The operation must not endanger anyone or anything.
The aircraft must be kept within the visual line of sight (normally taken to be within 500 m horizontally and 400 ft vertically) of its remote pilot (i.e. the ‘person in charge’ of it). Operations beyond these distances must be approved by the CAA (the basic premise being for the operator to prove that he/she can do this safely).
Small unmanned aircraft (irrespective of their mass) that are being used for surveillance purposes are subject to tighter restrictions with regard to the minimum distances that you can fly near people or properties that are not under your control. If you wish to fly within these minima, permission is required from the CAA before operations are commenced.
CAA permission is also required for all flights that are being conducted for aerial work (i.e. in very simple terms, you are getting paid for doing it).
The 'remote pilot' has the responsibility for satisfying him/herself that the flight can be conducted safely.
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid ... geid=16012

I,ll just have fun watching the policeman chasing my drone to see who is controlling it

Jim McAuslan, general secretary of the British Airline Pilots’ Association said ahead of his appearance: “The technology is developing quickly and we could see remote aircraft the same size as a Boeing 737 being operated commercially in our skies within ten years.”

Bit ambitious I say, lol.

"Smaller unmanned aircraft, weighing less than 20kg, only need permission from the CAA if they are being used for aerial work or if flown within a congested area or close to people or property."

So we can fly our Phantoms in say.. Large parks, as long as there are few people?

PsychopathRC said:
Jim McAuslan, general secretary of the British Airline Pilots’ Association said ahead of his appearance: “The technology is developing quickly and we could see remote aircraft the same size as a Boeing 737 being operated commercially in our skies within ten years.”

"Smaller unmanned aircraft, weighing less than 20kg, only need permission from the CAA if they are being used for aerial work or if flown within a congested area or close to people or property."

So we can fly our Phantoms in say.. Large parks, as long as there are few people?

Yep, a car park with no one within 30M when you take off and 50M once in the air is fine. A large field would be better, as there is less chance of cars or people entering your safe area.

If I took my Phantom to 50 meters and saw someone up there, I'd be worried lol

But seriously, I'm SO careful. Like.. Extremely over the top careful.

PsychopathRC said:

Not at all. Ever see the "workflow" in a modern airliner? The planes pretty much fly themselves from liftoff to touchdown. It wouldn't take much technology to eliminate the pilot in the cockpit, but there will be a passenger pilot for decades. Just like railroads still have a fireman and brakeman on every train.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31