In the field preps easy or hard?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a P3(4k) and I haven't really been impressed by the signal I get even out in the middle of nowhere. My max height has been 620ft before I lost signal but it's rare I get that.

A few times I've completely lost all signal to the 4k with my phone (LG g4) and when you can't see where about the drone is I get all stressed out that I'm going to lose it.

I've read about calibrating the IMU etc away from any possible interference but just how can you find a perfectly flat and level surface to perform an accurate IMU run?

Also just out of curiosity does the 2.4ghz outperform the 4k's 5.8ghz signal?

I always thought the higher the better bit I'm not clued up in this type of stuff.

I've read about calibrating the IMU etc away from any possible interference but just how can you find a perfectly flat and level surface to perform an accurate IMU run?
Perhaps you're referring to calibrating the compass near metal objects? For calibrating the IMU, find a level surface indoors. Use a level to ensure the surface is completely level.

Unless there's a problem with the IMU, leave it alone. Also, if you're flying above you, you're lucky you got that high. It's all but impossible to properly orient your antenna when it's directly above you. You've obviously done SOME of your homework since you figured out how to change the default max height to somewhere above the 400 ft (approx) limit. Did you, by chance, also change the max range limit? How FAR have you been able to fly it before signal loss (in which case RTH would have kicked in)?

The more I read your post the more confused I get. Max height is not a good indicator of signal strength. Max distance is. Next, your phone has nothing to do with signal strength to your Phantom. Finally, if you've completely lost signal several times (assuming more than 3 sec), then you're quite familiar with the RTH function so there's little need to worry about losing it (unless your RTH is set too low - hope you didn't do that when you changed the max altitude setting).

Finally, is your antenna properly oriented? I'm sure you've completely read the manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftomas and LK8472
Unless there's a problem with the IMU, leave it alone. Also, if you're flying above you, you're lucky you got that high. It's all but impossible to properly orient your antenna when it's directly above you. You've obviously done SOME of your homework since you figured out how to change the default max height to somewhere above the 400 ft (approx) limit. Did you, by chance, also change the max range limit? How FAR have you been able to fly it before signal loss (in which case RTH would have kicked in)?

The more I read your post the more confused I get. Max height is not a good indicator of signal strength. Max distance is. Next, your phone has nothing to do with signal strength to your Phantom. Finally, if you've completely lost signal several times (assuming more than 3 sec), then you're quite familiar with the RTH function so there's little need to worry about losing it (unless your RTH is set too low - hope you didn't do that when you changed the max altitude setting).

Finally, is your antenna properly oriented? I'm sure you've completely read the manual.
Exactly what my thoughts were when reading this. Confusion.
1. The antenna on the P3 is in one of the legs of the landing gear i.e. vertical. The antenna from the RC should also be vertical in order to align with the antenna on the craft and allow for maximum reception of signal. There are many youtube videos on RC signal/antenna mechanics if you care to learn more. Distance from RC in horizontal plane is the better indicator of range because the antenna on the RC outputs waves along the length of the antenna and [importantly] in the orientation of the antenna, with little coming out the tip top, therefore being directly above the RC is probably the weakest signal you can muster to your craft.
2. IMU calibration needs only a level and unmoving surface. Preferably the colder you can make the calibration at the better. DO NOT put it in a fridge. Again, see YouTube.
3. Assuming the P3-4K is basically a P3S (I've never seen one and it's lumped in the P3S on the forum) with better camera, and this is from recall, but the gist is that both of those transmission frequencies are used simultaneously to communicate with the craft. One is used to convey control function to the craft and the other is used to convey video and telemetry back to the RC. The 2.4 being longer range but less bandwidth i.e. RC control, and the 5.8 being shorter range and higher bandwidth i.e. video feed. This is why you may lose video feed and still maintain control of the craft.
4. The higher the better: Mostly true. The idea being that because the technology requires LOS the further away the craft is at given height, the smaller the angle between RC and craft. Increasing altitude increases this angle to overcome any physical objects or earth features i.e. no obstruction between RC and craft.
5. If you aren't flying in the USA, please learn the local laws (if any). Assuming you do live in the USA please don't fly above 400 ft. It's not law, but it's not doing any of us any favors and frankly, if you are new to the hobby keep it close until you're comfortable with your skills and familiarity with the hardware.

Personal conjecture: Sounds like your problem isn't signal loss to the phone, rather loss of video feed.

Exactly what my thoughts were when reading this. Confusion.
1. The antenna on the P3 is in one of the legs of the landing gear i.e. vertical. The antenna from the RC should also be vertical in order to align with the antenna on the craft and allow for maximum reception of signal. There are many youtube videos on RC signal/antenna mechanics if you care to learn more. Distance from RC in horizontal plane is the better indicator of range because the antenna on the RC outputs waves along the length of the antenna and [importantly] in the orientation of the antenna, with little coming out the tip top, therefore being directly above the RC is probably the weakest signal you can muster to your craft.
2. IMU calibration needs only a level and unmoving surface. Preferably the colder you can make the calibration at the better. DO NOT put it in a fridge. Again, see YouTube.
3. Assuming the P3-4K is basically a P3S (I've never seen one and it's lumped in the P3S on the forum) with better camera, and this is from recall, but the gist is that both of those transmission frequencies are used simultaneously to communicate with the craft. One is used to convey control function to the craft and the other is used to convey video and telemetry back to the RC. The 2.4 being longer range but less bandwidth i.e. RC control, and the 5.8 being shorter range and higher bandwidth i.e. video feed. This is why you may lose video feed and still maintain control of the craft.
4. The higher the better: Mostly true. The idea being that because the technology requires LOS the further away the craft is at given height, the smaller the angle between RC and craft. Increasing altitude increases this angle to overcome any physical objects or earth features i.e. no obstruction between RC and craft.
5. If you aren't flying in the USA, please learn the local laws (if any). Assuming you do live in the USA please don't fly above 400 ft. It's not law, but it's not doing any of us any favors and frankly, if you are new to the hobby keep it close until you're comfortable with your skills and familiarity with the hardware.

Personal conjecture: Sounds like your problem isn't signal loss to the phone, rather loss of video feed.
You have a few things wrong here. First off the P3S downloads video and telemetry via 2.4 wifi and the RC control is on 5.8. Next the 400' height limit IS law in the USA, it's not just a suggestion. And lastly when the OP was asking about higher being better, I got the impression is was referring to the higher frequency (guess he can tell us), and in that case normally lower frequencies carry farther. So you were right in your reply regarding that, but the reason the video drops off first is not because of the frequency it's using, but instead of the fact it's wifi which has so much interference.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Yeah I always make sure I correctly allign the antennas on the controller.

Yeah I was wondering if the higher the frequency number the farther and stronger the signal, 2ghz being better than 1ghz and 3ghz being better than 2ghz etc but obviously I was wrong.

I don't live in America. I'm a sensible and safe flyer.

Do your homework on FAA rules for drones a bit more, it is in fact not a law. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Right off the FAA web site.
"If you fly following the requirements of Part 107, you must comply with the operating provisions specified in part 107. Part 107 limits your altitude to 400 feet unless your unmanned aircraft is flying within 400 feet of a structure (in which case you may not fly higher than 400 feet above the top of that structure)."

So unless your saying "Part 107" is not a law.

Right off the FAA web site.
"If you fly following the requirements of Part 107, you must comply with the operating provisions specified in part 107. Part 107 limits your altitude to 400 feet unless your unmanned aircraft is flying within 400 feet of a structure (in which case you may not fly higher than 400 feet above the top of that structure)."

Thats flying for commercial use. That does not apply to recreational or hobby use.

Thats flying for commercial use. That does not apply to recreational or hobby use.

Some folks on here are using their Phantoms for business, the OP didn't state either way. So if you want to split hairs, I guess you could say it's a law under Part 107 if flying to make money and it's a guideline otherwise, see below.

Fly for Fun
You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely.

Before you fly outside you must:

• Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
You must be:

• 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*
* Visiting foreign nationals must register their UAS upon arrival in the United States (online registration serves as a certificate of ownership).

To register, you'll need:

• Email address
  • Credit or Debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.

Register UAS that weigh less than 55 lbs. and more than 0.55 lbs. online

Register UAS that weigh more than 55 lbs. by paper

Label your UAS (PDF)

Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

You're right. There it is, in black and white:

"Safety Guidelines"

What's that second word? I can't quite read it. ;)

Sounds like "speed limits" on roads everyone follows.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using PhantomPilots mobile app
Posted speed limits on a public road is hardly a guideline. Now those yellow ones on a turn would be considered that, but not the black and white ones that your refering to.

Reactions: Pharm

Anyone that is thinking flying VLOS and/or keeping under 400' is ONLY for commercial users needs to read this advisory from the FAA. You all can argue about whether it's a guideline or law, but might be unpleasantly surprised when you get into trouble one day.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57A.pdf

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers