Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

In manual mode, will Phantom hover with hands off?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by GSSP, Nov 27, 2014.

1. GSSP

In manual mode, will Phantom hover with hands off?

2. Damon

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

In manual mode the Phantom would be difficult for most pilots to control - never mind hovering hands off.

4. AsiaFlyer

Manual Mode - No, you would need to be giving it some throttle
    ATTI Mode - Yes, it hovers but will drift with the wind

5. GSSP

Thanks will do

6. Happyflyer

Best to buy a cheap little quad that only has manual. After you crash and crash and crash you will want to go back to you Phantom in GPS.

7. dbooty

No truer words have ever been spoken!

If you spend hours and hours and hours a week flying you might get get to the point where you're really proficient at it in manual mode.
    Remember all safeties are off so leading up to the point of proficiency you're in control of something that will go though someone's front window or someone's head before you have time to go "oh crap"!

I took manual off and put fail safe back after accidentally going to manual (stupid mistake, forgot I was already in atti) as the bird passed behind a tree.
    It came out from the other side off the tree like a dive bomber with that much speed flipping back to GPS and pulling up only slowed it a little before that familiar sound of bushes being sliced up before silence.
    3 props one landing gear and a camera/gimbal later it was ready to fly :shock:

8. TonG

In manual mode you have no 3-axis stabilisation.
    A quadcopter in inherently unstable that means in manual mode you must stabilise actively the copter on all three axis's by yourself.

Ton

9. ussvertigo

If no gyro help, it would be very difficult, like flying a Harrier Jet, even the little cheap quads will help keep it steady. I am convinced no to go there. I fly into trees, bushes, water, even my house with the GPS, I would be a mass murderer in manual.

10. Damon

I like to consider myself a decent pilot, yet my phantom was hungry on Thanksgiving and decided to eat a tree;)

%100 percent pilot error, way to gusty 30+ mph winds. Even GPS mode could not maintain position. Poor phantom rattled down the tree like Bob Barker's Plinko game.

11. ElGuano

A phantom in manual mode maintains user-requested attitude, it doesn't correct for level flight. If you fly in manual and set your attitude for neutral, and fly with a non-center-sprung throttle, you CAN have it hover, but not for long. It'll start drifting after a few seconds due to wind and you'll have to correct.

12. TonG

You can fly perfectly in manual mode! In fact every Phantom pilot should learn the very basics of manual flying. But it takes a longer learning curve.
    Start on a higher altitude and make only small changes. Every action you have to counteract to go back to a more or less hooverstate!
    As soon as you get the feeling that you're loosing control switch back to the gps-mode.

Ton

13. Mannyx

in MANUAL mode..... your excitement start
    in MANUAL mode..... you will learn how to fly
    in MANUAL mode..... you will learn how to roll
    in MANUAL mode..... you will learn how to flip
    in MANUAL mode..... you will feel the challenge
    in MANUAL mode..... you will know the mistake of buying a phantom instead of buying a flight simulator.

14. flyNfrank

Damon sorry about your crash. Any video of it?

I recommend trying Manual Mode from 300-400ft altitude. When the quad begins flipping and rolling it can a little time correcting itself after you flip the switch back to gps (S1 top position). I have only tried manual mode during one flight. When I finished the 1st thing I did was hook up to the pc and remove the manual mode option and put it back to failsafe. I didn't like the fact that my camera and gimbal were taking a beating each time the quad flipped. Plus I use failsafe a lot when I fly. I prefer using failsafe to return home so I can work the tilt for camera on dji app.

15. Damon

No video. It was one of those show relatives what it can do flights, not a capture cool stuff.

16. aartsf

And most of all
    In MANUAL mode..... you will learn everything about crashing