In light of DJI's announcements...

Reaction score
I used to build model rockets for my kids and I to go out and launch. We had a lot of fun, especially with one called the "AstroCam" rocket, which had a stripped-down 110 Instamatic camera mechanism in the nose cone. We would fire it off, and when it reached the high point of trajectory, it would snap a single photo, which we thought was a pretty amazing automatic process!
After it parachuted back to Earth, we would load it all up and try again. Eventually the roll of film was used, and we would drop it off at the photo place for developing. The excitement would build, and in a day or so we got our results, usually finding that from a full roll of film, maybe one or two shots were good - and we would have a print of ourselves standing waaay down there looking like ants. The kids loved it all.
So here we are years later, now it's me and my granddaughter flying, and all I really want from my Phantom is a -decent- video that's fairly clear and watchable. I'm not creating a Hollywood movie or a tv commercial, and I doubt too many of you are either. So good luck with expensive gimbals and all that other stuff... if ya gotta have it all I understand. But I'm happy with a more modest setup. And no more trips to the PhotoMat!
:cool:

Sac D said:
I used to build model rockets for my kids and I to go out and launch. We had a lot of fun, especially with one called the "AstroCam" rocket, which had a stripped-down 110 Instamatic camera mechanism in the nose cone. We would fire it off, and when it reached the high point of trajectory, it would snap a single photo, which we thought was a pretty amazing automatic process!
After it parachuted back to Earth, we would load it all up and try again. Eventually the roll of film was used, and we would drop it off at the photo place for developing. The excitement would build, and in a day or so we got our results, usually finding that from a full roll of film, maybe one or two shots were good - and we would have a print of ourselves standing waaay down there looking like ants. The kids loved it all.
So here we are years later, now it's me and my granddaughter flying, and all I really want from my Phantom is a -decent- video that's fairly clear and watchable. I'm not creating a Hollywood movie or a tv commercial, and I doubt too many of you are either. So good luck with expensive gimbals and all that other stuff... if ya gotta have it all I understand. But I'm happy with a more modest setup. And no more trips to the PhotoMat!
:cool:

Good point. The new gimbal is pretty cool and I like the idea of the hidden channel switch on the back of the TX to control the camera up and down pan. Will have to see how it prices out.

I also like the new prop guards.

I'm also impressed with DJI's philosophy on using the existing Phantom platform to build on. Instead of coming out with a whole new model making ours obsolete.

Yes I would be bummed if the company released an updated design so quickly that made mine the old model. In regards to what was said about the dji gimbal if it's between 200 and 350 dollars in may be something for me to consider but 900 to 1000 no way. The Phantom is mostly a consumer toy where professionals seem to be getting them to try this whole concept out and get their feet wet before spend 3,000 to 5,000 on a bigger and better platform.

Sac D said:
It looks like now we WILL soon have the obsolete model... the Phantom Vision has a lot of new features!
Yes, but that is how everything works. If you buy a new computer, in a few months a faster one is available. Same for cameras or anything involving technology. You just must enjoy what you have already done with the Phantom and what you will continue to do. Then in a couple years, upgrade.

By the way - I too had an Astrocam rocket! I can still remember one of the pictures it took. Like you, I think I only got a few good pictures and they were just amazing - especially for a kid like me back then. I did not want to lose any of my rockets as a kid, but I especially did not want to lose that one and risk losing my entire roll of film. I think after about 5 launches, I'd develop the roll. :)

no doubt about it, the Phantom Vision IS an improved upon version of the original Phantom, boy it would be nice to have a bigger battery tray and external USB!
tho obviously most of us wouldn't care for the attached camera that is more ideal for stills than for smooth video.
- and using even more proprietary props and motors is a step back in a way.

It's obviously not a clear replacement for our current Phantom's tho either, more of a side-step
as you're stuck with a non-stabilized, non vibration isolated camera of theirs,
and there's no way to add the brushless gimbals.etc

I for the longest time was going to hold out buying a phantom until the vision came out.
But in reality, I think what got me to go ahead and buy the current phantom was the fact that I could fly without any sort of camera attached. That way people cant complain if im flying that I am taking photos or what not...because no camera will be attached. I dont think you can deattach the vision camera.

Plus, I like the ability to take my GoPro and use it for many other things other than just the phantom.

socman said:
I for the longest time was going to hold out buying a phantom until the vision came out.
But in reality, I think what got me to go ahead and buy the current phantom was the fact that I could fly without any sort of camera attached. That way people cant complain if im flying that I am taking photos or what not...because no camera will be attached. I dont think you can deattach the vision camera.

Plus, I like the ability to take my GoPro and use it for many other things other than just the phantom.

I just don't like it when a company announces new products & just doesn't deliver on them in a timely manner.
So I am going to wait, mainly because it seems like there is a Phantom version 2 coming.

jolliffee said:
I just don't like it when a company announces new products & just doesn't deliver on them in a timely manner.
So I am going to wait, mainly because it seems like there is a Phantom version 2 coming.

+1, additionally, no like a company that sells many units and doesn't spread enought spare parts and replacement components :twisted:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers