In Flight Jitter

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am new to the website and thought I would see if you guys can help me trouble shoot this problem I am having before I send it in to have it repaired.

I have a DJI P2 Vision. It was 15 feet off the ground when it took a nose dive and hit the pavement. It scoffed up the body and broke 2 of the props. I am blaming that on a freak high blast of wind. My bigger problem is now when I am flying it has a weird jitter when it is flying. I have tried a few things like swapping out the blades for new ones, but it still looks like every 5 seconds or so it flinches or wiggles like it lost control for a split second.

Anything you guys can do to help me get it back to 100% would be great.

Thanks much,

Clint

Edit: Also there is a small but not constant noise that it makes when just sitting in idol before take off.

Sorry for all the posts. I am trying to trouble shoot the issue by reading other peoples problems but they don't always give an explanation of how it was fixed.

It looks like some people have this issue and it ends up being a bent arm. The shell of the P2V is still in tacked and does not looked damaged in anyway.

I have done a motor or shaft test by turning the blades to see if the distance between the tip and body is the same on both sides and it looks like two are not aligned properly. It is not off by much.

Could this be what is causing the unstable flight? Is that something I can do or do I need to buy new motors?

Have you checked the balance of the new props? Did you replace all 4 or just two? If you haven't yet, go spend $25 on a DuBro balancer and check all props. Some of the aftermarket props are terribly balanced, so much that I couldn't get my P2V off the ground until I balanced them out. Worth checking out as it really looks like a balance issue.

You might also want to pop the top off the P2V and inspect the frame for broken parts. Specifically, there are little "turrets" about half-way up each arm where a screw connects the top and bottom or the P2V. After a hard crash, I found 3 of the 4 were broken off, essentially leaving nothing for these screws to connect to. I removed those screws and wrapped these areas tightly with (you guessed it!), duct tape. After balancing the props and taping it up, it flew much more smoothly yet still not perfect. I recently crashed again and lost an esc, so at this point I have that and a new shell on order. Hopefully that will make it fly like it did out of the box!

Oh...and here's a pic of one of the busted turrets. I recently noticed that others have experienced breaks in this spot as well.

Attachments

• 20140204_123730.jpg
    20140204_123730.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 965
Thanks for replaying jimdenburg!

I have 2 set (8 blads) and tryed both sets and still had the unstable flights. But I did buy some Carbonfiber blades a few weeks back and tried them. I did not like them at all when I test flew them. It flew smooth but when trying to go up or down it seemed very unstable, so I just put them in the box and figured would use them as back up if needed. I put them on it and it flew smoother, but still had the jitter. It might just be the blades, because I dont remember if it had that or not in the first test.

I am going to look in to a DuBro balancer.

It does not look like the DuBro balancer works well with DJI P2V. Is there any other good way at checking?

Sorry I am such a newbie, but I really appreciate the help.

clintnovak said:
It does not look like the DuBro balancer works well with DJI P2V. Is there any other good way at checking?

It works just fine if you go one of 2 routes. To this point, I've used only what the balancer came with, stripped the bar of everything and put the little piece of tubing that comes with it at the end. With this one, it's just big enough where you can gently "thread" the prop into place. It's not perfect, but it easily worked for me to gauge and change the balance of some pretty horribly balanced props. You can get a longer piece of tubing the same size as what it comes with and it would be easier to work with, or you can find bars out there with the correct threading, but in a pinch, as is will help tremendously in troubleshooting a wobbly P2V.

clintnovak said:

http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... category=0

Note: it's actually two shorter rods, one for CW and one for CCW, but I have them and they work great for balancing the self-tightening props with the DuBro

Let me ask you guys this. If I find the blades are not balanced. What do I do with them to balance them? Or does that mean I toss them and get new ones?

OI Photography, I was just in TN for a film shoot. Just got back yesterday!

clintnovak said:
Let me ask you guys this. If I find the blades are not balanced. What do I do with them to balance them? Or does that mean I toss them and get new ones?

OI Photography, I was just in TN for a film shoot. Just got back yesterday!

Cool, I've got one this Sat down in Nashville...big opportunity so I have to wine+dine the client as well as fly :|

If your props aren't balanced, the easiest way to correct that is placing small (.5" x .5" or less) pieces of tape, 2 or 3 at most, on the backside of the side of the blade that's lighter. Placing the piece of tape closer or farther away from the hub will decrease or increase its effect, respectively.

Mine did the same thing after a power loss crash. Replaced the blades and all the motors and did the same wriggle. The wiggle got worse with each flight, now it flys horrible. Sent it back to dji service..only 10 charges on P2.
Your nose dive crash sounds like the power issue I had when it crashed. These phantoms can take tons of wind!
Dji thinks I have a bad board. Let me know your fix.

So I got the balancer and did that but it still is not flying smooth. I feel like it's the moter. I am going to take the top she'll off tomorrow and see what's going on.

Anyone else have ideas?

Just went to order this balancing rod...$16 to ship UPS ground. WHAT?? Does it weigh 25 pounds? Sheesh.

OI Photography said:
clintnovak said:

http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... category=0

Note: it's actually two shorter rods, one for CW and one for CCW, but I have them and they work great for balancing the self-tightening props with the DuBro

So we opened it up and we opened up the motor we thing was having the issues. After putting everything back together, it Flys a lot better. It was windy so it was hard to tell what was the copter and what was the wind, but it's better then it was.

Now we are having some compass issues.

I had a similar thing after a crash. Check the power conector to battery connection. This is held in place by just one screw. Mine had cracked on close inspection. Any one who has a crash would be wis to check this. It is only around £6.00 to replace and some simple soldering. This could be causing your problem with the voltage sensor plug not making good constant contact?

Cheers

Dangermouse

Many have already seen this balancing rod for the self tightening props but if not here is a little more information on where you can get one. I found that the ones made by [email protected] is great and workes well. I wanted to do a short video so others could see it in action. I also mention one point that goes beyond balancing that I believe helps just as much. You will see this in the video. Even if you get a great balanced prop which you need, the props could be bent up or down from the other end. You also need to make sure that each tip when turned touches the exact spot on a ruler or some other sort of device. If one is higher than the other you need to adjust it so they are exact. This will really improve the total balance.

Here is the link if you want to take a look at the video. http://youtu.be/Yv1HoCnKGBA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.