In-depth Phantom 4 review (by Romeo Durscher)

Status
Not open for further replies.

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
Thanks for sharing this. very informative.

found it interesting (and intuitive when you think about it) that object detection/avoidance shuts off when you switch to sport mode. wonder how many new pilots, after impulse buying at the apple store, are going to switch to sport mode immediately and take it full speed toward objects thinking the bird will autonomously find a route around the object?

Reactions: aenbacka
wonder how many new pilots, after impulse buying at the apple store, are going to take it full speed toward objects thinking the bird will autonomously find a route around the object?
Haha... you just wait. This will make it onto DJI's new top 10 pilot errors list.

Reactions: PHANTOMUSER
I'm wondering on the new Phantom 4, what happens if an insect or debris gets stuck on the front collision avoidance cameras? If the sensors are blocked, would the Phantom 4 find itself unable to go forward because it thinks something is ahead?

My understanding is the unit needs to "see" an obstacle with multiple sensors in order to judge the distance/size of the object and make a decision on whether to stop.

The killer function for me is the obstacle avoidance system. However, Romeo's review comment that "the Phantom 4 detects a solid and somewhat sizable object." Has left me feeling somewhat underwhelmed. In my experience, avoiding bloody great buildings isn't much of a problem, it's the small things like telephone/power lines and outlying tree branches that provide the big threat. If this avoidance functionality can't help with these then it's of limited value and also undermines the usefulness afforded by the new tracking and fly tap modes.

Reactions: Fat City and Grae
Quite informative - thanks. Still plan to stick with my P3A however, at least until I get more experience with the hobby.

I am curious to know if it will avoid objects that move towards is too, like a large bird. I had a Raven give me a good scare once. I can just imagine that by the time they get to the Phantom 10, you couldn't hit it with a paintball gun, or a drone slayer with a shotgun. LOL
Nice review/preview, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

found it interesting (and intuitive when you think about it) that object detection/avoidance shuts off when you switch to sport mode. wonder how many new pilots, after impulse buying at the apple store, are going to switch to sport mode immediately and take it full speed toward objects thinking the bird will autonomously find a route around the object?
I didn't appreciate the obvious hard sale on the p4 from the reviewer.. And he says he did not appreciate the p3 when it first came out..??!

He's wrong on many of his comments, for example obstacle avoidance in sport mode is disabled because the IMU can't process and stop ahead of obstacles at that speed. Not so much the phantom angle.

Also he said he got 31 minutes. Is that with 10% left or calculating that extra juice left after landing? Very uninformative on the details that matter.

How has he not appreciated the p3 yet honestly say the p4 is a bigger leap. And making a clear reference to comments complaining about the change in battery?? I have yet to hear one member complain about that. I have heard members complain on many other things about the p4 however. Makes no sense IMHO.

I didn't appreciate the obvious hard sale on the p4 from the reviewer.
I would expect this since he works for DJI.

Reactions: PHANTOMUSER
You know the reviewer doesn't believe his own hype when he starts his review of a new model with:

" I foresee that at first, many people will not realize the full extend of this platform and will be disappointed and express their frustration. "

I don't think any reviewer had to say that about the p3.

Thanks msinger, really good info. We're all sponges for more info about P4. Details details, we want details! :D Since A mode was replaced by S mode, I'm wondering how does a P4 switch to ATTI mode to turn off GPS. Does anyone know? ATTI is useful when capturing video, making it easier to create a smoother motion when starting and stopping. Did DJI remove ATTI capability to enforce NFZ?

Since A mode was replaced by S mode, I'm wondering how does a P4 switch to ATTI mode to turn off GPS
When in S-mode, the Phantom will most likely fly in ATTI. We'll know more when DJI releases the manual though.

There are zero conclusions made as to if the chromatic aberration is actually better, which is the most important question if you are using the drone as a tool to make artistic photos.

The other explains what chromatic aberration is, then just shows a stitched together photo without closups of edges, and makes no conclusions on that point.

When in S-mode, the Phantom will most likely fly in ATTI. We'll know more when DJI releases the manual though.

In the FAQ on the website it says this:
"19. What is the difference between Sport Mode and ATTI Mode?

Though Phantom 4 can fly up to 44.7mph in both Sport Mode and ATTI Mode, Phantom 4 will use GPS/Glonass and its Vision Positioning System to achieve precision while hovering. In ATTI Mode, GPS and Vision Positioning System will not function to aid the aircraft in terms of hovering or navigation."

Although the wording is a little off I believe it is saying that Sport mode will use GPS/Glonass. I can't wait to read the manual though.

The most important part of that review for me was confirmation that the P3 Pro/Advanced filters will work on the P4

I remember reading that GPS is enabled in S mode, but collision avoidance is disabled. I'll try to find that blurb to see if it was from DJI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik