Imu

Reaction score
Best way to calibrate level surface and no metal or interference I got that but what would work best a table in a large park with open area? But wouldn't I have to calibrate the bird 360 degrees all that before flights near home ?? The cold imu where it's done in the dji settings is different or the same as the rotation just wanted to know the difference and if your input on how to calibrate correctly maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Thanks everyone for your advice in advance:) save flights everybody

It's the compass that needs to be calibrated in an open area away from magnetic interference, not the IMU. The important thing for IMU calibration is to use a dead level surface, and preferably with the Phantom cold.
Once you've done your compass calibration in an open area, you should leave it alone and not calibrate it again before every flight.

Reactions: deltamike
+1 on what rocky dog said, especially about compass cals! When I have calibrated my imu, I have a spot on my basement floor where I have used a carpenter level to confirm that the floor is level. The basement is cooler that the upstairs living space and has worked well. Another advantage is that the floor is very stable so vibrations such as from people walking around are not transmitted to the bird. I usually let it sit for 20-30 min then run the cal. Word of advice, have everything ready to go when you turn on the bird. If it is cool, the imu will start warming up and if you wait too long, you loose the advantage of calibration with a cold imu.

+1 on what rocky dog said, especially about compass cals! When I have calibrated my imu, I have a spot on my basement floor where I have used a carpenter level to confirm that the floor is level. The basement is cooler that the upstairs living space and has worked well. Another advantage is that the floor is very stable so vibrations such as from people walking around are not transmitted to the bird. I usually let it sit for 20-30 min then run the cal. Word of advice, have everything ready to go when you turn on the bird. If it is cool, the imu will start warming up and if you wait too long, you loose the advantage of calibration with a cold imu.
Why the emphasis on cold calibration? I do mine at 72 deg. F.
It all seems to work very well.

Why the emphasis on cold calibration? I do mine at 72 deg. F.
It all seems to work very well.
The only advantage of doing a cold calibration is that your IMU takes less time to stabilise when you turn your Phantom on. (It's for the "hurry up" brigade who can't wait to get airborne!).

Why the emphasis on cold calibration?
This video explains more about the benefit of calibrating the IMU when the Phantom is cool:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31