imu yellow then green?

Reaction score
Im not sure if i need to calibrate IMUS , ive read about them being cold when doing so,

so i put my phantom on the dining table and turned it on, went straight to sensors imu and one of the values was level then after 10 secs or so it turned to green??

do i calibrate?

Why did it change from yellow to green ( good - excellent? )

Oh an dis it necessary to calibrate compass after?

Last edited:
will do , just get ocd about a bad calibration lol, ive packed some dinner mats to make sure the kitchen table is 99% level lol

I wouldn't calibrate in a house though, or even near one. Better to be out away from all the electronics and metals.

Once IMU and compass are well calibrated you don't need to calibrate again or before every flight, until you stay in same region. If you travel hundreds of kilometers then you start to get significant diifferent magnetic north, which is the trigger to re-calibrate.

If craft says compass problem, don't rush to calibrate but rather ask what's below the drone, there might be concrete, metal etc. you don't necessarily see or know. I know if I put my P4 on a specific spot in my garden the compass get wrong and I know why; there is a garage below the grass, then I move it few meters and happy compass right away.

Also do not add any metal piece to the legs such as tiny sandow bracket, etc.

Also never put any metal with magnetic properties close to the drone. Not to mention put away from speakers as containing heavy duty magnets and speakers are generally not shielded.

Example of YT:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Ok gonna share my experiences with this annoying but simple task which myself and I imagine many others are scared about or worry about because of the fear of a bad calibration.

I've calibrated both IMU and compass tonight and I'm happy to say that the phantom is now hovering again like a tripod. Very happy.

For the IMU calibration I made sure the phantom had not been used for at 20 mins with the battery out. So it was at the correct temperature.

I then used my kitchen table as a start point which was not 100% level. So to make it level I got the mats we use for our dinner plates on the table and I put four on top of each other and to get them 100% level I used paper in the form of letters just lying around at one side and the back. I tried 3 different spirit levels and all showed 100% level in all four directions.

Next I placed the phantom on this mock up and left it there for 20 mins. I thn got a big spirit level placed it across the top of the p4 motors in all different directions and again it was 100% level.

So I began the calibration of he imu.

Once that was done I then took it out to a little forest area near me walked to the centr of it so there was no chance of interference near me. I walked the phantom about 15ft away from the remote and my phone. (My choice.) I also left my car keys with the remote. Turned everything on started the compass calibration. Held the pahntom about head height and begin rotation.

Once all was done I'm pleased to say the thing hovered probably the best I've seen it literally was moving about 5 mm.

Impressed and relived.

Hope this will help others.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers