IMU recalibration?

Reaction score
I believe I need to recalibrate my IMU. I get considerable drifting and yawing when going 100 feet back and forth (with the just the right joystick).

I have never performed this operation...will this also update the firmware at the same time? Can I just recalibrate the IMU without updating the firmware?

Is the process the same for the Phantom 2 vision?

Any help is appreciated.

I will break it down for you,
YES YOU CAN RECALIBRATE ( IMU ) inertial measurement unit
Without updating firmware!

It is the same all phantoms

First hook phantom to PC
( make sure it is STILL, ( no movement )and LEVEL ( side-side, and front to back )
You will go to TOOLS tab, then choose basic or advanced recalibration, depending on below results!

Ok
Your GYROSCOPE, ( MOD VALUE )
NORMAL= ( 0.0-1.5 ) if it is above OR BELOW THIS CALIBRATION NEEDED!
If it is ( 1.6-3.0 ) range ( basic calibration needed!
If it is ABOVE ( 3.0 ) average, ADVANCED calibration needed!

Ok
Your ACCELEROMETER ( MOD VALUE )
NORMAL = ( 0.98-1.02 ) if above or below calibration needed!
If it is ( 0.97-0.98 OR 1.02-1.03 ) basic calibration needed!
If it is ( 0.97 or LESS ( OR ) 1.03 or MORE ) advanced cal needed

Ok
COMPASS ( MOD VALUE )
NORMAL IS ( 750-2250 )
If less than ( 750 ) OR more than ( 2250 ) calibration needed!

Hope this helps!
Note: it might tell you IMU too hot to calibrate, IGNORE this, as mine ALWAYS says this regardless, temp!

Again:
Gyroscope = 0.0-1.5 normal mod
Accelerometer = 0.98-1.02 normal mod
Compass = 750-2250 normal mod

Your friend,
Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Thanks for writing down those norms. I always have to playback a video just to find them now I have them jotted down.

Is the IMU "check calibration" button or whatever it's called accurate?

Should be,
But if you have any concerns, just recalibrate, you cannot hurt anything doing this, as long as your phantom stays level, and does not move ( get bumped, or wobble ) just make sure it is good and level, with no wobbling around, then recalibrate!

Only time these values are off, is if you wreck, land hard, drop it, or IMU malfunctioning!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

d4ddyo said:
Thanks for writing down those norms. I always have to playback a video just to find them now I have them jotted down.

See the question mark icon on the calibration page in the assistant software? Hover your cursor over that question mark and all that information will appear. No need to look anywhere else.

Also - use the Advanced calibration

Buk said:
d4ddyo said:

See the question mark icon on the calibration page in the assistant software? Hover your cursor over that question mark and all that information will appear. No need to look anywhere else.

Also good to know...crap. make the manual useful for beginners! Sheesh! Honestly this is the reason why there are fly-aways.

Thanks J dot,

It turns out my IMU did not need calibrating...but I still went through the proceedure. Lesson learned is that there is a step by step proceedure that cannot be deviated in any way! The learning curve is steep for me.

I was active in the computer industry 30 years ago...lots of similarities with the pc industry back then and quad copters now.

Thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.