IMU & Compass Cali Quick Question

Reaction score
I was just doing an advanced IMU calibration when I plugged in the Phantom and a box popped up saying "Compass Calibration Needed" - the lights on the Phantom were flashing red yellow as well.

I did the IMU calibration no problem without any error and then I was just about to go outside to do a compass calibration but as I moved away from where the Phantom had been the red yellow pattern returned to a normal pattern.

I guess where I did the IMU calibration was very close to my computers etc and probably got really unhappy but as soon as I moved away it was OK.

The Phantom still isn't showing red yellow so should I just put the pop up (and lights) down to where I did the IMU calibration?

Fourblade said:
I was just doing an advanced IMU calibration when I plugged in the Phantom and a box popped up saying "Compass Calibration Needed" - the lights on the Phantom were flashing red yellow as well.

I did the IMU calibration no problem without any error and then I was just about to go outside to do a compass calibration but as I moved away from where the Phantom had been the red yellow pattern returned to a normal pattern.

I guess where I did the IMU calibration was very close to my computers etc and probably got really unhappy but as soon as I moved away it was OK.

The Phantom still isn't showing red yellow so should I just put the pop up (and lights) down to where I did the IMU calibration?

I agree with your assessment of why it was warning you during IMU cal,

When it comes to compass cal my track record of advice here is consistently 'only when necessary' and even though it shows ok now I would anyways.

I'ts quick and easy and good insurance in this case.

Thanks for that.
Do you think I'll need to do another IMU calibration after a compass calibration or are the two mutually exclusive?

BTW Love your Zappa signature!

They are exclusive of each other.

Yea, Zappa, gone way too soon!
(and he wasn't a drinker)

N017RW said:

I figure the odds be 50-50. I just might have something to say. To my friends.

Related. I have set mine on a park bench while still powered up after a hand catch and seen the "compass calibration needed" popup on the vision app. Then when I moved it off the bench, the message went away. I didnt even do a cal and it flew fine after that.

BlackTracer said:
N017RW said:

Related. I have set mine on a park bench while still powered up after a hand catch and seen the "compass calibration needed" popup on the vision app. Then when I moved it off the bench, the message went away. I didnt even do a cal and it flew fine after that.

Nice Zappa quote, there's soooo many!

Re: compass cal- If it were mine I'd probably do the same.

But given the ease of doing it, and it's not mine, it was safe to suggest doing so.

For the record: I have calibrated mine 3 times since April:
>twice when just out of box (wanted to be sure I did it right the first time),
>1 month later when I swapped Tx/Rx for Futaba,

Re: IMU & Compass Cali Quick Question

BlackTracer said:
N017RW said:

If you place the Phantom near metal, it does that. Once you move it away, the error message goes away

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl