IMU Calibration on floor

Reaction score
Is it ok to perform IMU calibration on the floor or does it need to be on a raised surface? I ask because I have wood floors which are nice and level and seem ideal for this task.

Cool, yes it is I have checked with a spirit level. Thank you.

Just make sure the wood isn't installed over concrete. Many concrete slabs have steel all throughout them.

Just make sure the wood isn't installed over concrete. Many concrete slabs have steel all throughout them.
A (level) concrete floor or any other level surface (metal or not) is perfectly fine for IMU calibration. Compass calibration is sensitive to metal and electronics in the immediate area, not IMU calibration.

I would still want to put a level on the aircraft, but maybe that's just me
I spirit level the floor across the horizontal and vertical run of the landing gear...is this ok or is there a better way?

Some people put a level across the motors and use that as their level. I'm sure a perfectly flat floor is more than fine.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

A (level) concrete floor or any other level surface (metal or not) is perfectly fine for IMU calibration. Compass calibration is sensitive to metal and electronics in the immediate area, not IMU calibration.

Yes the metal question was part of what I was asking - glad it's not an issue for IMU

Is IMU calibration something that should be done when you first get your drone, and then need to do at certain times?

Is IMU calibration something that should be done when you first get your drone, and then need to do at certain times?

I think it's recommended that you do when you receive it but definitely after firmware updates - bearing in mind you'll need to update the firmware of your new aircraft then an IMU calibration should be done after too.

Reactions: Bluenoes
Ok, thanks...i got my phantom yesterday and updated the firmware this morning ready for first flight later on

I think it's recommended that you do when you receive it but definitely after firmware updates - bearing in mind you'll need to update the firmware of your new aircraft then an IMU calibration should be done after too.
Also, after any hard knocks/crashes it's advisable to re-calibrate.

It is absolutely advisable - but.... :)

I'm the kind of person who jumps into things - not always knowing what I do or should have done - but at least, I'm honest about it :)

I have had my P3A for 2 weeks now, and done about 60 minutes of flying - without any kind of problems - and I haven't done the IMU calibration yet - I even updated the firmware after the first 2 flights. I did the compass calibration - I had to, otherwise I couldn't fly - but it was done with my iPhone and keys in my pockets and a HTC mounted on the remote.

But - as I wrote at the beginning - it is highly advisable to do the IMU calibration before using the bird and I will do it this weekend before taking of again

AND - I know for sure - IF I crash some time in the future, and posts a thread about it - you will all be telling me that it was probably my own fault and I should have known better :)

Have a nice weekend - and safe flying :)

I spirit level the floor across the horizontal and vertical run of the landing gear...is this ok or is there a better way?
Some people put a level across the motors and use that as their level. I'm sure a perfectly flat floor is more than fine.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yep - I put a level on the motors. Maybe I'm kinda **** about it, but that's what I do. <shrug>

If you have a nice piece of glass, that would be easier.

If you have a pool table, use that, it should be perfectly flat

See - now you have a justification for that pool table you always wanted. Just tell your wife, "But Honey, I need it to do my IMU Calibration."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik