IMU Calibration needed after latest firmware update?

Reaction score
I successfully updated my p3s with latest firmware. Do I need an IMU calibration?
Going to take it out tomorrow

I successfully updated my p3s with latest firmware. Do I need an IMU calibration?
Going to take it out tomorrow

it is recommended after all updates to do so, even if app states unndeeded.
it only takes a few minutes so just do it when a major change happens, crash, updates, etc...

may as well do compass to match the new IMU settings and then do the auto gimbal as well

good luck and have fun flying!

Does DJI say this anywhere? I'm not trying to be critical of your advice in the least. If it's right especially, because I'm religious about compass cal, buy if the IMU says it's OK, after a firmware change, I leave it be.

IF THAT'S NOT OPTIMAL, I'D SURE LIKE TO KNOW BEFORE I GET BIT BY IT. LOL. THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

Reactions: flashoser
I disagree, anytime you do a major firmware up date the sensors and flight controer and Naza all need to be re- calibrated to all be in agreement. It's the same after a major crash or having shipped your quad via UPS, Fedx or postal it can get Jared hard and some sensors can be mi aligned with the data.
The IMU is on of the most important functions of the quad for safe and correct RTH functions as well as GPS correctness.

Many of us have heard about the dreaded fly a ways. One way to help prevent them is through calibrations. A lot of controversy over what causes them. But I can guarantee you one thing a proper IMU calibration will help prevent some of them.
What is an IMU you say. Inertial Measurment Unit is the brains of the quad when it comes to a collection of the sensors and is typically comprised of at least a three-axis accelerometer and a 3-axis gyroscope and employes magnetometers (compass), barometers and other sensor to determine the angular position or attitude of the quadcopter. Basically it's location, direction and altitude at any determined time. Remove any one of the sensors information and you can have a fly a way.

IMU information is data and data can be corrupted. Sensors can be disoriented. How you say, the main way is by rough handling (shipping), hard landings, crashes and changes to the sensors an compass. These quads are shipped all over the world and are roughly handled so new out of the box they need to be re-calibrated and have fresh data at their new home. After being sent out for repairs and shipped back to you the same is needed. DJI even sends you a email telling you to re-calibrate. Calibration is also need after new firmware updates as new data is introduced.
Calibration of the IMU must be done with the Quadcopter perfectly level from back to back and side to side. Easy way is to put a piece of glass, cutting board or simular flat panel on top of the quad covering the 4 motors spindles and then using a level front to back, side to side, and diagonally. Placing spacers or paper where needed under the legs to get her perfectly level. Then power up the assistant and the quad and fairly quickly do the advanced IMU calibration. This needs to be done before the main controller gets to warm from no airflow or you may get a to warm message. If it pops right up ignore it. But if the quad had be on for more that 5-10 minutes it may be legit and you'll need to shut down and cool her off for half an hour or so. A clean IMU calibration will only take 5-10 minutes at the most. When completed and after going outside do a compass calibration. When these are completed your quad should now have good data. The Roll, Pitch and Yall of the quad,as controlled by the changes in the motor speeds, will have good and proper orentation around the 3-axis as necessary for input from GPS and compass direction to let her know where she is, where she took of from, and how to get back, as long as you acquire the proper number of satellites and get home lock at take off. When you hover you should see a nice stable hovering quad with minimal drift and have good control of your unit. So when in doubt from a crash or hard landing, do your self a favor and re-calibrate. Do it after having shipped your unit or if it has seen rough handling. Less reduce the fly a ways! CALIBRATE !!!!

+1 and still using that picture frame glass from last year from my wedding picture for doing calibrations .
She still hasn't noticed it is gone :)

+1 and still using that picture frame glass from last year from my wedding picture for doing calibrations .
She still hasn't noticed it is gone :)
Oh, she noticed!!!!

After installing new firmware, you should check all of your DJI GO settings (some have been reset) and do all of the calibrations. Start at step #47 here.

Reactions: GregWV

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl