IMU Calibration failure - 22

Yes ... it's never been necessary but became a widely accepted thing on forums despite no evidence and no official support from DJI.
Now we have DJI coming out and specifically saying it's shouldn't be done for the Mavic and P4pro
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=74524&pid=592213&fromuid=10818
and
RC Groups - View Single Post - Official Phantom 4 PRO ***Owner's Thread***
Wow! I always thought this helped with better gimble function ect let alone just fix any thing that might get out of line at all. Same with Compass Calibration. Thought you were supposed to do it if you are launching 5-10 miles from your last launch to help with GPS accuracy I thought? Really appreciate your info Meta4!

Wow! I always thought this helped with better gimble function ect let alone just fix any thing that might get out of line at all. Same with Compass Calibration. Thought you were supposed to do it if you are launching 5-10 miles from your last launch to help with GPS accuracy I thought? Really appreciate your info Meta4!
Compass calibrations are appropriate if you fly more than 50mi from last calibration. I personally don't do them until I move more than 100mi from my last calibration and I've never had an issue. You would think the craft would tell you when the compass is out of whack, and it does sometimes. However with the P4 it's very seldom due to dual compasses. And if you travel 100mi away from the last calibration, it's not going to tell you to recalibrate, you need to remember it. I've traveled 700mi east (LA to Denver) and flown without recalibrating, I forgot to do the dance. It flew fine, but after I realized what I did I certainly recalibrated.

Same with Compass Calibration. Thought you were supposed to do it if you are launching 5-10 miles from your last launch to help with GPS accuracy I thought? Really appreciate your info Meta4!
There are a lot of misconceptions about compass calibration.
Having a properly calibrated compass allows your Phantom to fly straight but it has nothing to do with GPS accuracy.

Interestingly the manual for the P4pro finally drops the badly worded section about compass calibration that has had users trying to calibrate every flight or similar.
Carefully check what the manual says now before you go unnecessarily calibrating the compass.
i-Q9CJx8r-M.jpg

It still misses the point that in most situations where your app says you have a compass error, the proper action is to move the Phantom rather than recalibrate the compass.

Please keep updated the post. I will buy P4P when this problem has been resolved because I live in another county.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk
There is no issue. People are doing something completely unnecessary and spreading FUD. If you want the best Phantom ever made, this is it. Love mine.

There is no issue. People are doing something completely unnecessary and spreading FUD. If you want the best Phantom ever made, this is it. Love mine.

There is obviously an issue when out of the box your P4 pro tells you to do an IMU calibration and then it keeps failing not allowing you to fly. Get your facts straight before you say there is nothing wrong as that is not the case. Yes some people are doing an IMU calibration after a firmware update and getting same results but there are lots of us that are doing it because the App prompts us to and then it fails and you cannot fly.

There is obviously an issue when out of the box your P4 pro tells you to do an IMU calibration and then it keeps failing not allowing you to fly. Get your facts straight before you say there is nothing wrong as that is not the case. Yes some people are doing an IMU calibration after a firmware update and getting same results but there are lots of us that are doing it because the App prompts us to and then it fails and you cannot fly.
If it tells you to do it that's another issue entirely, I'd return it or get a warranty fix. For most people, they are just doing it because they want to feel like they are working on their drone. I've owned multiple Phantoms and have never had to do an IMU calibration. This one has been no different.

Just a quick update for everyone else having the same problem, I am having to send mine back to DJI under warranty.

I have told them that they either give me a brand new unit or refund the order, I will not accept a repair on something that has never worked.

DJI told me I should return it under warranty through the company I bought it from. The company I bought it from told me to RMA it and they will exchange it for a new one right away - which I believe is the proper course of action. As lumy said, we should not have to wait on a lengthy warranty process for something that never worked to begin with.

Reactions: lumy
If it tells you to do it that's another issue entirely, I'd return it or get a warranty fix. For most people, they are just doing it because they want to feel like they are working on their drone. I've owned multiple Phantoms and have never had to do an IMU calibration. This one has been no different.
For you its been the same ,maybe your just lucky like that but the app says its needed so what your saying means nothing..

I'm new here but I seen people just like yourself in the Nikon forum swear up & down that "there is no problem" with a product because it hasn't happen to them and everything is fine but when you have dozens of people saying they smell smoke you best look around for a fire..

Reactions: PhantomPhilip
My calibration fails too. I notice its drifts around from time to time ... wtf?!?!

I can't believe, i'm still waiting for make clic on "buy now" because of this issue (to me, the only and worst issue).

Why DJI don't give explanations? Arrrrghhh

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Was supposed to RMA it today but got a call from my supplier and he told me they just received an update about the whole IMU situation. Apparently there will be a new FW out come Monday which should fix this issue. My question though is, is the new FW going to fix it or just "fix it"? I would hate for them to just do a little cover up and mask the problem with a new firmware, like make it not report the IMU problem or something. Given that P4P comes with redundancy they could actually do that I assume, until the other one failed of course, then you'd be screwed...

Any thoughts? Is this really something that can be trully fixed with FW or are they just gonna mask it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik