IMU Calibration correct?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm about to take maybe my 5th flight 20-30 miles away from where I usually fly. I'll be on an urban city block with over head power lines.

Does my IMU look fine or would you guys recommend recalibrating before I go?

Also do you suggest I do a compass calibration when I get there?

All suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_2015-07-24-15-44-37.png

If it were me, I'd like to see compass between 1400 and 1600.

Gyroscope Mod should be around 0.00
Acceleration Mod should be around 1.00
Compass Mod 1400-1600

Reactions: snowghost
So as long as the reading shows between 1400 and 1600 it should be safe to fly right? Im just worried about the over head power lines.... just need to be in the air for about 15 minutes to take shots for a good friends wedding.

Does the extra 12.18 make a huge difference or will it slightly be off sometimes?

Does the extra 12.18 make a huge difference or will it slightly be off sometimes?
I don't know for sure, but I'd have to think that the 12.18 difference is not a showstopper.

Even so, I'd just do another compass calibration and see if it gets closer. Since you will be flying over a wedding and probably people, better to have it as good as you can get it.

So as long as the reading shows between 1400 and 1600 it should be safe to fly right? Im just worried about the over head power lines.... just need to be in the air for about 15 minutes to take shots for a good friends wedding.
I never fly under power-lines, especially if they are big tower power lines. The electrical noise plays havoc with GPS signals when directly under or near, within 100ft. You may find issues with that .

Guys I'm here at the location. At first it was saying compass error move drone. And then I check IMU

You guys think I'll be alright flying? There are quite a few power lines here lower than normal. And I'm about 20 to 30 miles away from where I usually fly.

Should I go for it and should I recal the compass or no?

Attachments

• 1437776965645.jpg
    1437776965645.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 302
There are power lines at every corner and I didn't like how it was saying compass error when I first started up the drone until I moved it away a little bit.

Attachments

• 1437777067494.jpg
    1437777067494.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 1437777084352.jpg
    1437777084352.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 412
  • 1437777100801.jpg
    1437777100801.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 412
Can you take off from a location away from the power lines? Compass errors have occurred for me when I have be around metal or close to power lines I have not experienced any compass errors flying over them but, I try to be a good distance above them when flying. -- Just keep a good clearance when you are taking off and flying and you should not have any issues. It would be ideal if you could go to the location before hand and do some testing. Wish you luck.

That's a tough spot. So many power lines plus also concrete all probably with rebar and/or pipes underneath. Not to mention cars all over.

All I can think of is to find a spot within a few miles that is more open field like a park. Do the compass calibration there, and then don't redo it at the location you want to fly. A known good compass calibration should be good to use for quite a while even if you change locations.

Of course, your mileage may vary as they say. Please be super careful when flying for the event, and know how to do a mid flight CSC if things go bad near people or property.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackHawk388
All I can think of is to find a spot within a few miles that is more open field like a park. Do the compass calibration there, and then don't redo it at the location you want to fly. A compass calibration should be good within some say 50-100 miles of the last good calibration.

Bingo! This is solid advice.

Thanks guys. @bobmyers post.. I quickly decided to take it to the most open area and walk up to the wedding court as they walked 1-2 blocks towards the hall. I took off from there with 12 sats but there were times where the sticks wouldn't register with the phantom for some reason and it would just stay in place. Also felt a bit unstable but thank god I got just a few shots without ruining the wedding ceromony lol. After taking off I noticed someone else had a P3 as well so I wasn't too worried about capturing the entire thing. The pictures I uploaded seems to be the worst area hence the power lines. I can't wait to get more comfortable with this thing.

That's a tough spot. So many power lines plus also concrete all probably with rebar and/or pipes underneath. Not to mention cars all over.

All I can think of is to find a spot within a few miles that is more open field like a park. Do the compass calibration there, and then don't redo it at the location you want to fly. A compass calibration should be good within some say 50-100 miles of the last good calibration.

Of course, your mileage may vary as they say. Please be super careful when flying for the event, and know how to do a mid flight CSC if things go bad near people or property.

Thanks a lot for this advice. Everything went smooth... I didn't have to be up in the air for too long after I noticed a photographer had a drone as well.

From research Ive noticed people say if you lose control to switch into ATTI mode, is this what you're referring to? When I get back home Ill do first research on CSC.

Tony

Thanks a lot for this advice. Everything went smooth... I didn't have to be up in the air for too long after I noticed a photographer had a drone as well.

From research Ive noticed people say if you lose control to switch into ATTI mode, is this what you're referring to? When I get back home Ill do first research on CSC.

Tony
Knowing how to switch to and fly in ATTI mode is a must for sure. If you have time to switch over, that is a smart move if the situation warrants.

I was thinking even beyond that. I was thinking about a wedding party with a bride near an out of control Phantom. That was what I had in mind with the CSC. Just in case things got way out of hand.

I didn't realize the event was happening in real time as you were posting! I'm sure we would all love to see the photos.

@Oso yes, crazy roght? It was happening in real time.

This wasn't an actual client but a friend of mine had asked me maybe 2 days ago so I didn't have time to come out and survey the area although I had a feeling g compass interference would occur. It wasn't a necessity he just wanted a few shots from up above. However once I noticed the actual photographer had a drone I was more just capturing what er I could, not going out of my way per say and whatever shots they could possibly use I'll send them.

If it were an actual client (not that great at photography as yet) I would have been wayyyyy more prepared in advance.

Btw kinda off topic but what camera and video settings do you guys recommend for an event like this? Should I actually bother picking up filters?

I never fly under power-lines, especially if they are big tower power lines. The electrical noise plays havoc with GPS signals when directly under or near, within 100ft. You may find issues with that .

Cliff's notes: Please become more educated on the actual performance capabilities of these Quads prior to giving out such erroneous information in the future.

I fly a P2V+ V3 and this couldn't be more incorrect given the pictures provided. Giving such "advice" does nothing but make this hobby more fearsome than it needs to be IMO.

Those power lines are insignificant given the ability of these quads.

As Oso mentioned, having a good, solid calibration within the given area, keeping the surrounding materials like steel reinforced concrete and structures in mind, will do MUCH more to prevent unwanted flight characteristics than worrying about such small power lines. You should see the power lines I fly around. Perhaps I should show you via video.

As long as you have a solid IMU calibration and then, a good on-the-ground compass calibration in a neutral environment, these power lines are of little concern except for the ability for one to fly into them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers