IMU calibration conditions

Reaction score
Hey all

Since last firmware update i didnt do imu calibration.
I know about compass, but what are the imu calibration conditions? I know It should be on a perfect level surface, but can this be indoor? For example, my kitchen table?

Most people do it indoors. Make sure you've placed your Phantom in a cool place for ~15 minutes prior to ensure it's cool before starting the IMU calibration. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the IMU to warm up each time you start your Phantom.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: ShoRotten
I did an IMU calibration after update and I just followed two conditions:

(1) Aircraft should be cold. Some even suggested putting in fridge / freezer for a few minutes.

(2) Perfect level surface

They speak nothing about having any metals close by or indoor/outside. I did this on a flat concrete slap at my work near a bunch of computers and it resulted just fine (so far)

…and what you got after imu calibration & new firmware?
I want to know the reason for IMU calibration in your case.

Thanks.

…and what you got after imu calibration & new firmware?
I want to know the reason for IMU calibration in your case.

Thanks.
I heard that you have to do IMU calibration after every firmware update

Yeah on DJI Forum I read from a DJI rep that you must calibrate IMU after firmware update. On other YouTube video guides I heard IMU calibration is a maintenance procedure that should be done when you crash and every 10 flights or so.

My results have been that I've been able to fly safely. My bird seems as fine as before. I have noticed "warming up" but I'll have to re-calibrate with my device a bit colder (sticking it in fridge for a few) and see if that helps with loading times.

It is suggested in the video posted in the thread to do this after the update.

I ran into rc signal loss last flight so hoping calibration and re syncing the controller will fix it.

Most people do it indoors. Make sure you've placed your Phantom in a cool place for ~15 minutes prior to ensure it's cool before starting the IMU calibration. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the IMU to warm up each time you start your Phantom.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
If you do IMU calibration when it's cold it shouldn't have to warm up everytime I start it? Mine warms up everytime I start it.

I heard that you have to do IMU calibration after every firmware update
Yes, this is a great idea. When installing firmware updates, a lot of settings are reset.

If you do IMU calibration when it's cold it shouldn't have to warm up everytime I start it? Mine warms up everytime I start it.
Correct. It sounds like it was not cold enough when you started the IMU calibration. Try it again.

Correct. It sounds like it was not cold enough when you started the IMU calibration. Try it again.
OK sounds good,I always thought it was supposed to warm up everytime I flew cause it literally warmed up everytime. I definitely didn't have it cold when doing the IMU. It's been in my car for the last week and it's pretty cold out so I'll do it now. Thanks for info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers