Improve still picture quality

Here's a picture I took and a version I edited a bit. What do you think?

Sample

Couldn't make the pics show up directly in the post for some reason.

Reactions: QaaUz
How about this?

Attachments

• DJI_0008.JPG
    DJI_0008.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 842
Reactions: Arvidj
It may be a daft question but you did remove the protective film first?
haha [emoji1]

yeah i did remove it.

i have tried to shoot photos with the color mode on vivid. i like it much better than with color set to none.

also had with the landscape mode. dunno if a custom mode would be good maybe?

I use the multi 5 shot bracketing then use a program called easyHDR3 $40. The 5 shots are taken at different exposure settings and the easyHDR puts it all
together into one high def photo. The program give you about 10 options to choose from or you can make your own adjustments. No need for Photoshop

that sounds really good. i looked it up and seems like a nice tool. is it easy to use?

theres two versions to purchase, one commercial and one for home use. any differences between them?

Believe it or not, I use Apple's Photo for editing. It is extremely easy and now has more options. I've used PhotoShop and it does have a fairly large learning curve, at least for me, anyway. I've had great results with Photo as I believe Apple did away with Aperture putting most of the features in the new improved Photo app/program. Here is one I took in Israel of the Kibbutz I stayed at and very quickly edited in Photo. It was an evening shot and needed a little help.

Kibbutz - 1.jpg

You can also look into Adobe Creative Suite for $10 per month. Always current and cloud based.

I bought easyhdr 3 and it works good. How many pics do you think is needed for a good hdr? im shooting 5 now but maybe 3 is enough. i havent tried the hdr in the camera so instead i take the one that shoots 5 pics at differenrt exposure.

I had the same problem...my instructor says I have "small sensor angst",due to the size of the crop sensor. He jokes because I'm used to shooting with a 24mp DSLR. His fix (and his photos turn out amazing) , is to shoot your subject with the 4K video, then do a screenshot. It's amazing how much better the pics turn out. Oh wait, does yours have 1080p or 4K? I don't keep track of this stuff.

I had the same problem...my instructor says I have "small sensor angst",due to the size of the crop sensor. He jokes because I'm used to shooting with a 24mp DSLR. His fix (and his photos turn out amazing) , is to shoot your subject with the 4K video, then do a screenshot. It's amazing how much better the pics turn out. Oh wait, does yours have 1080p or 4K? I don't keep track of this stuff.

no 4k on advanced version. [emoji4]

i got myself a editing program that makes a hdr pic. i got some cool ones with that, used the 5 pic option in the app so it takes 5 pics at different exposures. looks pretty good, although i havent really figured out all the options to change the picture yet.

is it possible to change sharpness in the dji app? i have found iso and shutter speed options so far. tried long exposure in the dark and got some decent pics, a bit blurry though.

The thing you'll want to be careful about with HDR is the noise level. Most software beats the black to heck trying to recover details from there. Apply your denoiser once at the beginning or end (I prefer beginning)

The other thing is that just because you're high, it doesn't mean you'll automatically have breathtaking shots. Composition still matters (more than elevation). For that, think basic photography (foreground info, background, negative space, lines, roller of thirds, etc). I'm still learning to use my Phantom well but I can guarantee you'll save a lot of time in post getting it right the first time

The thing you'll want to be careful about with HDR is the noise level. Most software beats the black to heck trying to recover details from there. Apply your denoiser once at the beginning or end (I prefer beginning)

The other thing is that just because you're high, it doesn't mean you'll automatically have breathtaking shots. Composition still matters (more than elevation). For that, think basic photography (foreground info, background, negative space, lines, roller of thirds, etc). I'm still learning to use my Phantom well but I can guarantee you'll save a lot of time in post getting it right the first time
Excellent points!

It is first and foremost a digital camera! The flying aspects give you a great, amazing tripod.

But to get good pictures, you need to know about all aspects of photography: composition, lighting, placement, exposure (and more), and then editing. If you're not familiar with a medium-sized regular digital camera or a GoPro, it's worth buying a book or studying several on-line tutorials.

More specifically, I've played with the HDR setting, too, and found it doesn't work well with sunsets or other places with great differences in lighting. It creates big white blotches. Using the RAW (DNG) mode for still pictures, and then adjusting them in post seems to work best, for me at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jogle
...it doesn't mean you'll automatically have breathtaking shots. Composition still matters (more than elevation). For that, think basic photography...

Great tip! The best way to take better pictures is to read, read and read some more about photography. Understand why a picture looks the way it does. Awesome shots are not just left to chance, they are well thought out in most cases. You can have the best equipment in the world and its not going to help you unless you understand, at the very minimum, the basics.

The best advice I can give is to use the search feature before asking questions. Chances are that many people have already asked the questions you have and great instruction has already been given on those topics.

New to something like the P3 and want to know anything from in boxing and set up to advanced features? The search feature on this site is great. Google will provide tons of results. YouTube will likely have many videos. If you can't find an answer specific to your question, then you should start a new thread on what you want to know.

Don't get me wrong, I love this site (and many others) and am not trying to be critical to the OP but I really can't understand when someone asks a question that already has been addressed literally hundreds of times.

Reactions: Jogle and Arvidj
I bought easyhdr 3 and it works good. How many pics do you think is needed for a good hdr? im shooting 5 now but maybe 3 is enough. i havent tried the hdr in the camera so instead i take the one that shoots 5 pics at differenrt exposure.

3 should be enough. I took 3 manual exposures for this photo. 1 for the sky/sun, 1 for the horizon, and 1 for the trees below. (by just tapping them on the screen)

UX6JJOzbr_cQCH7HaCk6Q25UvU8NVmsfPFoqbd6LvtAvxEsJUm9LIpwfzyfZXI79Q1pbTcul16sDJG3tHrkbePRRQxwk4NJqgOgBVviCJqZgjWH6KIUZ6WaEBJ7uSxcVJ7Iplpp_8PrYCh77G1XAxcJs42Tr4m7jKH8qXn_IPHCmg6wB14J4COb0vm0lFYwzlLjLBNk871-suYzKEUn3hexgXk9rCpjsZP1m7bTUeVBbC16WE4izkaWfMmPNUOAXy90TgqOudVsL3pbvRiGUgeyXn6X2g7zoXkfZ78SkGIHQD9dSpxuENKXkhIBKZTvS6pZf9jCblMtvECq61kHDvD5HjIfMUL11UWuc0F7WKgdegBRKYLU513f4NVVwviaJHwTTNq5xyjgUV-mEcqC_dmzX6Akn0hDpcFg5vtVsu_kJdVKZr8LfHqURJMjoXXvZ9TOZ_be--aL9V_oMmACttNA2b_XIf1hdumZHG9Nk8M4o26ASLKHtwR56GXnNWSTj800XssjBvjDazv5__VMOK8K3qH_ihu-iiU5ouEgYWCX9=w960-h725-no

I stay away from anything that automatically does HDR...it became a novelty several years ago and that's usually the worst thing, plus I prefer to have full control over my photos

3 should be enough. I took 3 manual exposures for this photo. 1 for the sky/sun, 1 for the horizon, and 1 for the trees below. (by just tapping them on the screen)

UX6JJOzbr_cQCH7HaCk6Q25UvU8NVmsfPFoqbd6LvtAvxEsJUm9LIpwfzyfZXI79Q1pbTcul16sDJG3tHrkbePRRQxwk4NJqgOgBVviCJqZgjWH6KIUZ6WaEBJ7uSxcVJ7Iplpp_8PrYCh77G1XAxcJs42Tr4m7jKH8qXn_IPHCmg6wB14J4COb0vm0lFYwzlLjLBNk871-suYzKEUn3hexgXk9rCpjsZP1m7bTUeVBbC16WE4izkaWfMmPNUOAXy90TgqOudVsL3pbvRiGUgeyXn6X2g7zoXkfZ78SkGIHQD9dSpxuENKXkhIBKZTvS6pZf9jCblMtvECq61kHDvD5HjIfMUL11UWuc0F7WKgdegBRKYLU513f4NVVwviaJHwTTNq5xyjgUV-mEcqC_dmzX6Akn0hDpcFg5vtVsu_kJdVKZr8LfHqURJMjoXXvZ9TOZ_be--aL9V_oMmACttNA2b_XIf1hdumZHG9Nk8M4o26ASLKHtwR56GXnNWSTj800XssjBvjDazv5__VMOK8K3qH_ihu-iiU5ouEgYWCX9=w960-h725-no

I stay away from anything that automatically does HDR...it became a novelty several years ago and that's usually the worst thing, plus I prefer to have full control over my photos

nice photo! so you just click the screen and it changes exposure, more light where you click? i have noticed the exposure circle when i clicked on the screen, but didnt really know what to do with it. does the p3 stay still for long enough so you dont get too different pics?

and you put them in a program who made it into an hdr or no?

nice photo! so you just click the screen and it changes exposure, more light where you click? i have noticed the exposure circle when i clicked on the screen, but didnt really know what to do with it. does the p3 stay still for long enough so you dont get too different pics?

and you put them in a program who made it into an hdr or no?

Thanks! Basically, wherever you click on the screen, it will adjust to properly expose that area. So, clicking close to the sun, most the rest of the photo will get really dark (and that's okay). When I clicked the trees, the sky completely blew out (looked white) but I got the details from properly exposed trees. So the process is click a bright spot that you proper exposure, take photo, click somewhere darker, take photo, then click the darkest shadows you see, take photo.

I put the photos into Photomatix in post, which automatically lines them up and crops them. It also denoises them. As far as I'm aware, the phantom stays still long enough; I've never had problems with it.

Hope that helps!

At first I was a bit dubious about the quality of the still images but over time have found them to be fairly good - especially when there is almost zero wind.
These pics are jpegs with minor tweaking in photoshop - I'm going to start shooting in Raw + jpeg but can't open raw images in my version of photoshop cs version 8... any ideas?

DJI_0009a.jpg

DJI_0015a.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj