Impressive command over heavy wind [video]

Reaction score
I have recently flew my P2V+ over a salt lake with heavy winds, around 30/40 km per hour. The drone help up very well against those conditions however the descent speed was heavily impacted.

I will drop you with this video here.

I could tell by the forward arms she was working hard but she did get through the wind. Good job. Crazy looking salt beds right next to the water.

Last edited:
Very nicely done! These are impressive little machines and your salt beds are a very interesting topic for video. Where is this located?

I've experienced the same with my P2V+ V3.

I've put it in a hover at 200' to look out over the Gulf of Mexico and the two forward props were in the picture much of the time. You could tell the wind was gusting because the forward props kept dipping deeply into the picture and then disappearing. But it stayed within roughly 10' of the place I put it in a hover.

One bit of advice about flying in heavy winds. I will fly into the wind to reach my intended video area. This will cause the battery to drain faster than normal due to the load placed on the motors fighting the wind. So if the wind is blowing out of the South, I will get North of where I want to video. Get my Quad to the spot and move East and West of the subject. When the battery starts getting low, then I have a tail wind to help me fly back to my area which means much less drain on the battery. I will descend as the Quad is approaching me, overfly my position and then, turn back into the wind for the final approach to landing/hand recovery.

Reactions: Sky Media Drones
Very nicely done! These are impressive little machines and your salt beds are a very interesting topic for video. Where is this located?

I've experienced the same with my P2V+ V3.

I've put it in a hover at 200' to look out over the Gulf of Mexico and the two forward props were in the picture much of the time. You could tell the wind was gusting because the forward props kept dipping deeply into the picture and then disappearing. But it stayed within roughly 10' of the place I put it in a hover.

One bit of advice about flying in heavy winds. I will fly into the wind to reach my intended video area. This will cause the battery to drain faster than normal due to the load placed on the motors fighting the wind. So if the wind is blowing out of the South, I will get North of where I want to video. Get my Quad to the spot and move East and West of the subject. When the battery starts getting low, then I have a tail wind to help me fly back to my area which means much less drain on the battery. I will descend as the Quad is approaching me, overfly my position and then, turn back into the wind for the final approach to landing/hand recovery.

That last part is just good practice/planning. Most flyers don't think about these issues which can lead to crashes/damage. I do a similar thing and only fly to the furthest point away from me and head back w/ about 60% batt power (what i'm comfortable w/) to give me a buffer for any issues coming back.

Was that a control tower in the distance there? Salt beds are wild!!!

Sent from my PT beating heart

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj