Importing spanned clips in Premiere

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with importing the P3-generated spanned clips into Premiere (I'm on CS5.5, but it should be similar right up to CC). In any case, I am used to dealing with spanned clips for other formats, but the workflow I use for those doesn't seem to work for Phantom 3 footage.

For longer clips (at 4k, 24fps, around 9:30 minutes) the drone will split the recording every 4gb or so. So a single 15 minute video would save to the SD card as two separate .MOV files. The issue is that in Premiere, there's a jump between the two files where a few frames are missing. I know that the frames exist, as playback in the DJI GO app (streaming from the drone) shows it wihtout interruption. There's usually a process for importing into Premiere to prevent the gap (and so that the 2 files show as a single video clip)

Oh.. Gotcha. I read it like it was some kind of processing. That makes perfect sense now. I dont ever run videos that long. Im always stopping recording whenever I get a chance so I have 50 small clips to edit individually instead of one big one. Seems to be better on resources.

For longer clips (at 4k, 24fps, around 9:30 minutes) the drone will split the recording every 4gb or so. So a single 15 minute video would save to the SD card as two separate .MOV files. The issue is that in Premiere, there's a jump between the two files where a few frames are missing. I know that the frames exist, as playback in the DJI GO app (streaming from the drone) shows it wihtout interruption. There's usually a process for importing into Premiere to prevent the gap (and so that the 2 files show as a single video clip)
I have uploaded the clips in Premiere without any issues and of course, always wind up trimming to small clips out of the original mov file. I haven't noticed any missing frames in mine. But it is much easier on editing to record shorter clips if at all possible.

Not ideal here -- recording a professional wakeboarder, There's a need to constantly pilot all 20 minutes or so of each flight, no time to start and stop recording.

Reactions: III% Streve
Not ideal here -- recording a professional wakeboarder, There's a need to constantly pilot all 20 minutes or so of each flight, no time to start and stop recording.
You should be able to import all the clips with the Add Media in Premiere-- and tie them together, if you have missing frames, you may have to put a fade transition at that spot to get rid of the skips if there are not too many-- I just haven't had that issue with Premier.

Brian, did you ever find a solution? It's good to know that you see the clips working fine in the DJI program. My GoPro files import seamlessly into Premiere but the Phantom 3 Pro files skip a frame as you described.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic