Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional Importing spanned clips in Premiere

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Brian Kaufman, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Brian Kaufman

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with importing the P3-generated spanned clips into Premiere (I'm on CS5.5, but it should be similar right up to CC). In any case, I am used to dealing with spanned clips for other formats, but the workflow I use for those doesn't seem to work for Phantom 3 footage.

2. III% Streve

I use Premiere, but dont know what a "spanned" clip is.

3. Brian Kaufman

For longer clips (at 4k, 24fps, around 9:30 minutes) the drone will split the recording every 4gb or so. So a single 15 minute video would save to the SD card as two separate .MOV files. The issue is that in Premiere, there's a jump between the two files where a few frames are missing. I know that the frames exist, as playback in the DJI GO app (streaming from the drone) shows it wihtout interruption. There's usually a process for importing into Premiere to prevent the gap (and so that the 2 files show as a single video clip)

4. III% Streve

Oh.. Gotcha. I read it like it was some kind of processing. That makes perfect sense now. I dont ever run videos that long. Im always stopping recording whenever I get a chance so I have 50 small clips to edit individually instead of one big one. Seems to be better on resources.

5. bobmyers

I have uploaded the clips in Premiere without any issues and of course, always wind up trimming to small clips out of the original mov file. I haven't noticed any missing frames in mine. But it is much easier on editing to record shorter clips if at all possible.

6. Brian Kaufman

Not ideal here -- recording a professional wakeboarder, There's a need to constantly pilot all 20 minutes or so of each flight, no time to start and stop recording.

III% Streve likes this.
  7. bobmyers

You should be able to import all the clips with the Add Media in Premiere-- and tie them together, if you have missing frames, you may have to put a fade transition at that spot to get rid of the skips if there are not too many-- I just haven't had that issue with Premier.

8. III% Streve

That could make for some great footage!

9. Brian Kaufman

The issue is the cut is in the middle of a trick. I know there's a way to import this properly...

10. III% Streve

I guess the only way I could play with this is to record a video greater than 4 GB

11. TonyByte

Brian, did you ever find a solution? It's good to know that you see the clips working fine in the DJI program. My GoPro files import seamlessly into Premiere but the Phantom 3 Pro files skip a frame as you described.