{IMPORTANT} RC / P3 Upgrade problems

alokbhargava

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Many have reported problems after upgrade of RC or P3. There seems to be a serious issue.

Let us know if you are able to solve your problem and how. This would help others.

Agreed! alokbhargava. Lot's of people having this issue!

The RC update issue has been discussed and fixed for several of us in this thread:
Rc firmware issue
and in this thread:
solid blue light on controller - firmware update issue
And now, once again, here (with screenshot!)
RC requires upgrade, failed to upgrade

This "controller reset" can be tricky to get to work (I think I finally got it on the second or third try), but it did work. And it seems to have eventually worked for most folks in those threads.

Why it is happening is another question...

Reactions: JoBe
When does it initially manifest itself?
Occurs 1st time one attempts to use the system after the latest DJI RC update 1.58?

I had given out the RC reset procedure to members here perhaps a total of 6 times in the last year. Now since the FW came out on Tuesday, I have given it out about 10 more times. That suggests quite a spike up in RC issues for sure, and I'm not the only one telling people about the procedure.

I'd have to think that DJI will put out a fix soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
When does it initially manifest itself?
Occurs 1st time one attempts to use the system after the latest DJI RC update 1.58?
It manifests itself when the RC update fails and it leaves the controller is in a state (solid blue light) that it won't connect to the aircraft, and is basically a brick. Power off/on of the controller results in the same (solid blue light) controller state.

For me, the aircraft update 1.6 >>1.7 went as expected. The RC update 1.5.7 >> 1.5.8 (prompted and performed by the app) went as expected (all the beeping and beeping) until the very end when I expected the app to say "complete". It simply reported failed (as in the screenshot in one of the above linked threads).

There is a live button to start the upgrade again, but it just spins for 20-30 seconds (no beeps) and reports "failed" again.

Following the controller reset procedure, (with a freshly rebooted mobile device), I connected to the controller with the app. The same screen with the button to start the RC update was there, but this time it (rather quickly, and with no beeping) reported complete, and all was well again. No re-pairing with the aircraft was required.

It seems it did all the hard work during the "failed" update, and was able to just complete the process following the reset procedure.

Thanks.
Mine went flawless a few days ago when I installed the update. But I haven't tried to fly since the update.

I thought it may have been a bug that randomly appears in the future during power ups in order to fly.

ok here is the issue I'm having. Brand new P3P, was installing updates in order....1.05 (I've kept them all in a folder this is my 3rd P3). The update goes along as planned. Restart copter, green light on radio, no signal on ipad, beepbeep, beepbeep over and over, red, yellow,green flash on the rear arms. Go into the app, check to see what firmware everything is running and only the GoApp shows. No info from the quad or the radio......and oh yeah. I can tilt the gimbal up and down so i know they are bound together....

Did the updates today, and not sure how I did the "camera update" as the DJI GO App said the RC, Phantom and camera all required updates.

Downloaded the firm ware for the P3 on my laptop while the RC did its update. Loaded the bin file on a spare micro disk and updated the P3. All went well. Turned off P3, swapped sd cards and fired the P3 back up, no problems.

Went to see how to update the camera, but found the message not there any more. I am assuming that it was done on the P3 firmware update.

Took it out for a quick test flight (very windy today in Central Florida) and seemed to fly good. The only thing I noticed a few times, was the screen (picture) go crazy, like it froze and flickerd. It has never done that before. Will have to fly again and see if it does it again

ok here is the issue I'm having. Brand new P3P, was installing updates in order....1.05 (I've kept them all in a folder this is my 3rd P3). The update goes along as planned. Restart copter, green light on radio, no signal on ipad, beepbeep, beepbeep over and over, red, yellow,green flash on the rear arms. Go into the app, check to see what firmware everything is running and only the GoApp shows. No info from the quad or the radio......and oh yeah. I can tilt the gimbal up and down so i know they are bound together....

I ran into that same problem, I just turned off the P3P and turned it back On, everything was back to normal.

Being new, and joining the site today, I am getting everything ready for my flight. Do you have to upgrade, or can I wait until a new upgrade comes out? Since tomorrow will be my maiden flight, I plan to keep it close enough to actually see, and that includes altitude. All these posts have me a little timid about upgrading. Especially when I see people having so many posts about this issue. Will my aircraft still fly? And should I be more worried about it nose diving because I have not upgraded yet? Thank you.

Yes it will fly. And don't be too worried. All these FW problems are fixable, and really are the exception.
What versions (aircraft/RC/App) are on you on now? (DJI GO>>General Settings>About)

And welcome to the forum, @Morgas Resnak
Thank you for the welcome. I have the P3A, and the Firmware Version is 1.6.0040 that was dated 2015-12-22. The DJI Go App, on my Nexus 9 tablet says DJI Go v2.71.1 and other than that still figuring out where all these "hidden settings" are.

The general settings tab is the one with the three dots in the top right of the GO app. "About" is all the way at the bottom.

You probably have 1.5.7 on the controller, then, which is fine. It will tell you that an update is available when you boot up, but you don't need to do it right away. 1.6 is just fine. Worry about it later after you get a few flights.

Fly and be happy! :D

Yes it will fly. And don't be too worried. All these FW problems are fixable, and really are the exception.

That is the important bit - the exception.

I upgraded everything to the latest versions (on iOS), and everything worked first time. I flew two batteries immediately afterwards without any issues.

Just for good measure iOS had another software upgrade this weekend as well!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie