Important Question

Reaction score
Hello all,

Since being asked to help develop a drone program for a flight center, I have had the opportunity to meet with a private land owner that wishes to develop his land for a drone program.

He is envisioning a place on private land where people can go fly their drones away from possible negative public, media, and local police scrutiny that you will get in county and state parks.

Now I belong to a private RC flying club, but I was wondering if this is something users might be interested in?

If so, how much would you be willing to pay per year for a place you can fly without the negative attention that people can give you?

If you read the posts here, you will see post after post about people getting harassed by hysterical people...

Your comments and input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The Suburban Hippie Photographer :)

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Personally, I bought a drone with a camera in order to take interesting photos and video, not just to fly up, down and around. So I'd have 0% interesting. Even if I wanted to just fly, I could find a _ton_ of places to do so and not interfere with anyone. It's kind of two of the main reasons to own a drone.

I can think of an option for owners of most DJI aircraft: Use the great Lightbridge Long Range technology to help you. Keep your takeoff point a stealthy distance from where you're filming. Then don't fly directly back to yourself when done. Nobody will know it was you! Not LOS "with ordinary vision"?! Always claim it was.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks all for the replies! Please believe me. I understand the point of a drone is to take unique footage. I got it. I also have many people ask me where I fly and express frustration because they can't find places. What I am thinking, is a safe place to fly to test out equipment. Range, etc...

It is not my land, nor a friend of mine, but someone who contacted me on my meetup group. I met with him, and think I understand what he is going for...

He wants to develop a business model, and I am thinking to get it started for him to offer so much per person, just for the rights to fly there anytime you wish...

For Phantom 1972, what you are suggesting is currently illegal in the US. Now I understand this happens, and I understand companies like DJI advertise this, with a "you buy it, and we will look the other way..."

I don't care what you do, but I am not going to operate that way. Nor am I going to suggest other people do the same thing.

I have always tried to operate by the rules, and been VERY frustrated with the rules the way they are! However, if I am going to try to develop programs that will help others, I need to develop a working relationship with the FAA.

Thanks again for the many replies! I appreciate it your input! I hope others can reply also!

What I am thinking, is a safe place to fly to test out equipment. Range, etc...

I believe commercial entities would be most interested in this sort of thing. Service providers, manufacturers, etc. If it's any encouragement, I attended a San Diego AUVSI event recently where someone announced they were building a testing area similar to what you're talking about and many of the companies in the room were very interested.

For Phantom 1972, what you are suggesting is currently illegal in the US. Now I understand this happens, and I understand companies like DJI advertise this, with a "you buy it, and we will look the other way..."

I don't believe it is illegal. If it were illegal, the idea you propose might be a bit more feasible. If you have sources (laws) you can reference, please provide them.

That being said, I can see a market. It's more the racing style quads if you can provide a track, or interesting obstacles. Think of an RC car stack for mini quads (FPV).

I fly those too and I would hand over $5-10 to try it out and $100 per year if it was comfortable, and interesting. Hard to say without seeing it but you could get my $10 just to give it a try. And I don't have trouble finding a place to fly anything.

Not much interest in flying my phantom there though.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I don't believe it is illegal. If it were illegal, the idea you propose might be a bit more feasible. If you have sources (laws) you can reference, please provide them.

That being said, I can see a market. It's more the racing style quads if you can provide a track, or interesting obstacles. Think of an RC car stack for mini quads (FPV).

I fly those too and I would hand over $5-10 to try it out and $100 per year if it was comfortable, and interesting. Hard to say without seeing it but you could get my $10 just to give it a try. And I don't have trouble finding a place to fly anything.

Not much interest in flying my phantom there though.

The FAA says line of site. Now I am not saying should, or should not. I know the FAA mentions line of site several times over, and over again. The AMA also states line of site.

Perhaps I misunderstood what was being written. I got the impression he was flying solely by the camera on the drone, and then SAYING it was line of site.

If I understand the business model proposed correctly... my input as a rather "noob" to this would be several different angles. Right now I would love an opportunity to get help with making the most of my phantoms camera abilites. Someone with experience and knowledge to teach in depth app abilities of both DJI GO and Litchi (and anything else available in use) in person. Ive self taught along with watching hours and hours of youtube videos but honestly the hands on approach with professional would really take my money. Like others, I have no problem finding a place to fly...its making and learning the most of the equipment for me personally. Maybe do meet ups/parts swaps...RC type of things where they do challenges to show off and/or learn maneuvers. Right now Im really interested in learning better photography and drone app features and how to use more than anything. Being new to this my needs are probably much different than the veterans of the hobby. I feel the open space isnt whats desired..its how you can format it into the best presentation for this incredibly fast growing hobby and profession. Good post Im interested what becomes of it.

Reactions: The Suburban Hippie
Totally pointless... The people who get the complaints are rare and flying around or over other people or houses. There's plenty of open places to fly for free with nobody around.

If I understand the business model proposed correctly... my input as a rather "noob" to this would be several different angles. Right now I would love an opportunity to get help with making the most of my phantoms camera abilites. Someone with experience and knowledge to teach in depth app abilities of both DJI GO and Litchi (and anything else available in use) in person. Ive self taught along with watching hours and hours of youtube videos but honestly the hands on approach with professional would really take my money. Like others, I have no problem finding a place to fly...its making and learning the most of the equipment for me personally. Maybe do meet ups/parts swaps...RC type of things where they do challenges to show off and/or learn maneuvers. Right now Im really interested in learning better photography and drone app features and how to use more than anything. Being new to this my needs are probably much different than the veterans of the hobby. I feel the open space isnt whats desired..its how you can format it into the best presentation for this incredibly fast growing hobby and profession. Good post Im interested what becomes of it.

This was my idea from the start. However, I am exploring other areas as well. My thought on the land was to help people get familiar with their quads. Anyone can use them, but people are intimidated by them.

I also wanted to see what might be helpful after that time. For me, I like to have a place where I don't have to worry about my quads coming down over cars and building in which to test it. For example, the other day I dropped my transmitter and needed somewhere safe to test.

As for right now, if you lived near me, I would be willing to spend time helping to get you up to speed on your quad. Are you a photographer, or is this your first experience?

Your response was incredibly helpful, and insightful. Thank you!

Reactions: Mfoster82
Totally pointless... The people who get the complaints are rare and flying around or over other people or houses. There's plenty of open places to fly for free with nobody around.

No, I believe you are wrong about that. One person here described a situation where he was flying over a pond at a park. NOT over people, and some idiot gave him a hard time.

I have a large field behind my house. I like to launch mine off my deck to get pictures of clouds. One time, I launched mine off my deck, and my neighbor had a guest. I heard him say in a startled fashion "Oh my gosh, is that a drone!?" By his reaction, you would have thought that he had just seen one of the alien vehicles from War of the Worlds....

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
No, I believe you are wrong about that. One person here described a situation where he was flying over a pond at a park. NOT over people, and some idiot gave him a hard time.

I have a large field behind my house. I like to launch mine off my deck to get pictures of clouds. One time, I launched mine off my deck, and my neighbor had a guest. I heard him say in a startled fashion "Oh my gosh, is that a drone!?" By his reaction, you would have thought that he had just seen one of the alien vehicles from War of the Worlds....
Your statement totally proves my last post.

This would not appeal to me as a Phantom owner but if I was into drone racing I would be very interested if he was building a drone racing arena and starting leagues or a tournament of some sort. He could make money off food and drinks and merchandise as well as the registration fees. If you build it, they will come!

This was my idea from the start. However, I am exploring other areas as well. My thought on the land was to help people get familiar with their quads. Anyone can use them, but people are intimidated by them.

I also wanted to see what might be helpful after that time. For me, I like to have a place where I don't have to worry about my quads coming down over cars and building in which to test it. For example, the other day I dropped my transmitter and needed somewhere safe to test.

As for right now, if you lived near me, I would be willing to spend time helping to get you up to speed on your quad. Are you a photographer, or is this your first experience?

Your response was incredibly helpful, and insightful. Thank you!

Appreciate the offer.. Im in the dayton/Cincinnati area. Havent found many people around me yet. Im not a photographer of any sort but I am very interested in learning. I know many realtors and they have been asking me when I can start taking shots and videos for them. I need to learn everything from editing to filters etc. Ive paid and signed up to take the test for the 107 but still need to find the material to start studying. Other than that Im new to most all of this.

I see where the confusion comes in now. The FAA has issued "guidelines". This is different from law. Violation of these "guidelines" could be used in a legal proceeding but violation of the "guidelines" is not the same as violation of law.

The AMA is a club/lobby group. No legal authority.

There may be local laws (state, county, city etc.) but in the US I have yet to find a federal law that requires LOS. Even the FAA website says you can use a spotter in lieu of LOS.

Lots of people share your view that they are laws though

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado68
I see where the confusion comes in now. The FAA has issued "guidelines". This is different from law. Violation of these "guidelines" could be used in a legal proceeding but violation of the "guidelines" is not the same as violation of law.

The AMA is a club/lobby group. No legal authority.

There may be local laws (state, county, city etc.) but in the US I have yet to find a federal law that requires LOS. Even the FAA website says you can use a spotter in lieu of LOS.

Lots of people share your view that they are laws though
You are right, and I do know they aren't laws.

However, that isn't stopping people from getting fines, and having to go to court, and paying for lawyers...

It is the corrupt country we live in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20