*IMPORTANT* NEW FAA REGULATION FOR DRONES 200 FT. AGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
It only applies to those who have an approved exemption and are flying for commercial use. Considering the number of people flying Phantoms today, this new rule affects nearly nobody.

i think that only applies to commercial operation of uav's.

edit: what he said.

FAA logo
DO NOT FLY NEAR HURRICANE RESPONSE EFFORTS

As a result of Hurricane Matthew, there will likely be significant recovery efforts and the FAA may issue flight restrictions in the vicinity of disaster areas. During response operations to Hurricane Matthew, authorized aircraft may be flying at very low altitudes over affected areas.

Unauthorized UAS or drone operations may prevent other aircraft from performing life-saving missions and increase the risk of mid-air collision. Anyone, including hobbyist or recreational fliers, who interferes with disaster response efforts is subject to civil penalties of up to $32,140 per violation and possible criminal prosecution.

Unmanned aircraft system (UAS) or drone operators are responsible for checking applicable flight restrictions before operating and must not interfere with any aircraft assisting in hurricane disaster response operations, regardless if there is a flight restriction in place or not.

Drone operators may obtain information about posted flight restrictions by using the FAA’s B4UFLY mobile app or by checking the FAA’s website: PilotWeb: Home.

UAS or drone operators supporting disaster response operations must be approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) prior to operating. Operators may seek approval by following these steps:
The operator must secure support from a governmental entity, and the operation must directly contribute to the response, relief, or recovery effort.
After completing step 1, the operator must contact the FAA’s Systems Operations Support Center (SOSC) at 202-267-8276for assistance.
After calling the SOSC, the operator must also send the request via email to [email protected].

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I actually think that the combination of the 200' ceiling and the graduated distances (2 miles from heliport, etc) is a VERY reasonable approach, and one I hope comes to Part 107 and/or recreational sUAS operations soon.

The current 5-mile notification requirement for every private heliport, etc. for all flights is pretty dysfunctional - something like this brings a much more sane and nuanced set of practices. 200' AGL allows a lot of basic operations at safe/sane distances from manned aircraft operations, while insisting that recreational operators call a half-dozen heliports 4+ miles away for a 50' AGL flight in an empty park is just loony.

So now 333 exemptions are limited to 200' no matter where they fly? The updated distances from airports is nice, but I doubt that will come to hobbyists. Does the FAA really expect everyone to know the difference between an airport having an operational control tower and one with only a published instrument flight procedure? No, they will err on the side of caution.

This altitude limit better not come to hobbyists :mad::mad:

This is an old thread people. The FAA revised the blanket COA to allow up to 400' AGL.

This infomation applies only to commercial ops and specifically operating under our Section 333 Exemption. Part 107 is similar but we are not operating under a blanket COA.

Honestly this thread should probably be closed and marked as old information so it doesn't cause any new confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers