IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

well, if that is the case, everywhere you want to go will be yellow and you will have to pay to fly. what a great hobby.. My X5C is becoming more fun every day...

A friend of mine is a beta tester. He just revealed to me that in future it will be necessary to pay to unlock flight zones that are yellow at present. That's why they want your card / phone details. For billing.
Are you serious? I have problems believing that.

Last edited:
I had applied for unlocks to my flying site yesterday and had preferred to use phone number and not the credit card. I got success notification but site was still locked to P3. I will try this evening again to see if this gets unlocked.

Reactions: Mike Drone7
DJI has already said the intention is not to charge per unlock but to use the credit card as a means of identity verification. How that works I am not sure.
Credit card ties to personal identifying information (PII). Name, address, phone numbers, emails etc. the sole reason for doing this that I can figure is that DJI has agreed to turn over all unlock records to the "authorities" who may be investigating incursions into NFZs or TFRs. That way if you are in restricted airspace via an unlock during an incursion, the unlock can be used as evidence that you could have been flying during the time frame. Of course, this also works to your benefit, if you have GeoFencing installed. If you did not request an unlock for that specific NFZ during the incursion, and you are accused of flying there, you can show you couldn't have flown there because you are locked out.

Will it soon be forced upon us to upgrade the app and bird? Currently on 2.4.3 app, and this whole NFZ seems like a massive negative for us owners. I plan on staying on 2.4.3 forever to not have these NFZ (if possible) or am I dreaming?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dirty Bird
So when is this goe fencing going to be implemented. I know it's in beta at the min? I've heard lots about it but nothing has changed for me. I can still fly in the "yellow" zone without a problem and I have all the latest updates throughout.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

A friend of mine is a beta tester. He just revealed to me that in future it will be necessary to pay to unlock flight zones that are yellow at present. That's why they want your card / phone details. For billing.

To be clear

This is not correct, beta testers have not been told anything of the sort

Can anyone confirm this fix on the dji forum works for firmware 1.6 with iOS 2.5 in the app:

DJI Forum|DJI GO App and Sudden NFZ's Problem

"Those that have reposted the sudden apperance of NFZ's after updating to Go App 2.5, please do the following.. It seems to have been a server issue that is now resolved..

1. Please connect mobile device to the Internet.
2. Turn on craft and should be on P-GPS mode, please make sure craft has solid GPS lock.
3. Please make sure that RC and mobile device is connected to craft..

Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check."

I live in a yellow zone, so want to know below upgrading if the above fix works...

Reactions: DrJoe
Will it soon be forced upon us to upgrade the app and bird? Currently on 2.4.3 app, and this whole NFZ seems like a massive negative for us owners. I plan on staying on 2.4.3 forever to not have these NFZ (if possible) or am I dreaming?

I don't see how they can force it on you. You fly in airplane mode right? You never connect your go-app to the internet right? I'm still running 1.3.2 because that's what worked, 1.4.01 didn't so when I reverted to 1.3.2 and everything worked like normal, I stayed here. Nothing of mine updates without permission and my P3/ RC has no internet contact with the outside :)

Reactions: jryser and Fplvert
I don't see how they can force it on you. You fly in airplane mode right? You never connect your go-app to the internet right? I'm still running 1.3.2 because that's what worked, 1.4.01 didn't so when I reverted to 1.3.2 and everything worked like normal, I stayed here. Nothing of mine updates without permission and my P3/ RC has no internet contact with the outside :)

DJI GO app can connect to the internet, as i have cellular on constantly and wifi and internet is on when the app is open, however the app is unable to update as auto update is off..the only means it would be able to update is if I was to manually update the app myself..Is this what you mean?
I wouldn't think that they could enforce updates on us, but if you were caught in a NFZ what would happen? You would explain that you're on old firmware and using a previous version of the app...Not too sure how that would stack up?
Then again, if you're flying in legal zones (every country has different laws around distances you can/cannot fly from airports, hospitals etc) then I cannot see how you would find yourself in trouble..
By going off the new 2.5 you're *hoping* that DJI have correct mapping - and many have already complained that they do not. You're also holding an awful lot of reliance on DJI's servers, hoping and praying they don't go down, or your pre flight may be a no flight.

With respect, that is a load of old bollocks. I'm no fan of DJI at the moment, but spreading that sort of rubbish is helping no-one.

Yep. I just went to my account and explored the unlocking apparatus.................. if no Internet out in the field, simply unlock the area online before going. It will require a little advance planning from here on out, I'm not happy about it, but at least we're mostly still "flyable".

Can you say "no more spontaneous flying"?
Pathetic.

I really hope some people are getting fired at DJI right now over this disaster. I bet Brendan must be busy today...

Yep. I just went to my account and explored the unlocking apparatus.................. if no Internet out in the field, simply unlock the area online before going. It will require a little advance planning from here on out, I'm not happy about it, but at least we're mostly still "flyable".

Can you say "no more spontaneous flying"?
No more spontaneous flying. Pretty much. Unless you have Internet connection in field and area is yellow................. it will work, but still slow us down going through the procedure. But Green areas are still hassle-free.

I have to ask. Were you in a yellow area? And indeed you were able to take off doing this?
I'm still afraid to try anything yet. My situation is I am 4.87 miles from a very small airfield, that was never an issue before yesterday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20