IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

Whatever you guys do, DO NOT update to the latest IOS Go app 2.5.0. If you do, you will be locked out. It does not matter what firmware you have or if you revert back to an older app version. If you load, you will be locked out. DJI added hidden code that will transmit to your drone. I'm running aircraft 1.4.10; RC 1.4.30 and IOS App 2.4.0 with no luck. I even tried going back to aircraft version 1.3.

I'd like to know why people are so paranoid, mis-informed, about this update, Do you really want to fly in a no-fly zone ?
How so paranoid or misinformed? I'm not. The no fly zone I'm in now is a small airport that had a .6 mile radius. I also was running old software.

What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?

• Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA)
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
  • Fly no closer than two nautical miles from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).
DJI is removing mandatory no-fly zones from its drones
DJI is removing mandatory no-fly zones from its drones

THESE ARE THE FACTS NOT PARANOIA

animals-fly-insect-bug-fly_swatter-fly_swatting-jmp110330_low.jpg

If you use other app to control your P3 like AutoPilot or Litchi, do they bypass this Geofencing that has come out with this new DJI 2.5 release? I have seriously been considering switching to the iOs Autopilot app the more I learn about it. So many more features than the DJI Go app.

I ask because I have a grass strip airport that has not been used in 4 year near my home. If I update to the 2.5 DJI Go app, I will not be able to fly from my house again. I have searched the FAA app called B4UFLY and they have that airport still listed as active. I understand Geofencing around commercial airline airports. That makes sense. But all these rural grass strips and tiny airports is ridiculous. If we are below 400 feet and strike and airplane it should be the pilot of the airplane's fault, not mine. Why is this not being pushed more?

Unfortunately, DJI has managed this like so many other of their releases: with little to no information and a lot of half-baked functionality. The company comes up with so many great products and then mires them in half-baked product management.

It appears that if you have firmware 1.6 or newer and the 2.5.0 version or newer of the iOS app, you are subject to the new GEO system. To be clear of this, you need to roll back to 2.4.3 or older on iOS.

If you use other app to control your P3 like AutoPilot or Litchi, do they bypass this Geofencing that has come out with this new DJI 2.5 release? I have seriously been considering switching to the iOs Autopilot app the more I learn about it. So many more features than the DJI Go app.

I ask because I have a grass strip airport that has not been used in 4 year near my home. If I update to the 2.5 DJI Go app, I will not be able to fly from my house again. I have searched the FAA app called B4UFLY and they have that airport still listed as active. I understand Geofencing around commercial airline airports. That makes sense. But all these rural grass strips and tiny airports is ridiculous. If we are below 400 feet and strike and airplane it should be the pilot of the airplane's fault, not mine. Why is this not being pushed more?
No bypass.

I'd like to know why people are so paranoid, mis-informed, about this update, Do you really want to fly in a no-fly zone ?
I can't even fly at AMA recognized site. There is no major airport nearby. There is one medical center and a flying club at about 5 miles distance.

I have RC friends that fly their planes every week on active small airport property, it's all a matter of getting the proper permissions, same will happen with the geo fence

Whatever you guys do, DO NOT update to the latest IOS Go app 2.5.0. If you do, you will be locked out. It does not matter what firmware you have or if you revert back to an older app version. If you load, you will be locked out. DJI added hidden code that will transmit to your drone. I'm running aircraft 1.4.10; RC 1.4.30 and IOS App 2.4.0 with no luck. I even tried going back to aircraft version 1.3.
Hidden code that's permanently sent to the drone? Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Note to posters: this thread is about dealing with the imposed GEO functionality and NOT about WHY it should be there. There are other threads that deal with that already.

Reactions: Apilot101
It's a warning...click "OK" and it goes away. Tested and confirmed this weekend near International* runway (*had tower permission). No secret codes...no dropping out of the sky. Click "OK" and the message screen goes away, you continue to fly burden free. Just don't crash into the runways.

*Edit - I am unsure how taking off in a no fly zone works however..I flew into one, I was already airborne...might not be able to start motors whilst in a NFZ.

Reactions: Reed L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers