IMPORTANT!!! Battery Clearance with Y-Axis (Yaw) motor

Also, if you have soft dampers installed, perhaps the gimbal is "bouncing" in wind and during maneuvers. You'll see if you push up on the gimbal that the motor can actually get closer to the battery. I don't have a problem with some washers and the white dampers...but it might be worth exploring. Like the previous poster said though, visually check the clearance inside the battery bay.

I had the same problem with the battery scraping on the round yaw motor ... and since I didnt have have washers available (and also since I am an impatient douche!) , I cut away at the sleeve of the battery instead... :eek:

Yeah, in hindsight, its a scrappy macgyver looking hatchetjob... but it did the job! No resistance!

See attached pic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 407
Just a warning to everyone cutting the plastic on the battery... DO NOT puncture the skin of the battery. This external "pouch" keeps the lipo contents contained if ever there is a failure.

formulaphoto said:
Just a warning to everyone cutting the plastic on the battery... DO NOT puncture the skin of the battery. This external "pouch" keeps the lipo contents contained if ever there is a failure.

Wise point. I made a scratch but no puncture. But as you said, place something on the skin to prevent puncturing.

Mine will "twitch" almost constantly on the Yaw axis even if it's sitting stationary on a table. Will also make a grinding noise when trying to turn on the yaw, then jump to where it should be about a quarter of a second later. Did everything I could think of... reboot, calibrate the compass, upgrade/downgrade the firmware... occasionally I'd get lucky on a flight, but nothing was ever permanent.

This looks plausible, but I'm concerned about the grinding noise and any damage done to the rotor, so may end up sending it back to the shop anyway (they've agreed to do an exchange.) I don't detect any resistance when attempting to shift the motor, but it does feel awfully tight against the battery, which is awfully tight when it goes in. Phantom is otherwise perfect and am thinking long term of going with longer landing gear and the washer/longer screw solution mentioned above.

One thing to note - am not 100% on the role of the ribbon cable connecting the gimbal to the drone. Assumed it was just to send video and provide power, but if it's able to communicate am not 100% on where the 'brains' are. Am hoping this isn't a board in the Phantom 2 causing it to spaz.

Mine is on a gimbal extension plate (full clearance all around the gimbal) and the problem persists. Mostly in high or erratic wind. :cry:

So, at least in my case (and it seems one other poster's case), it's not the motor or any other gimbal part rubbing against anything. Hoping someone finds some more suggestions.

Just as a reference, here's a pic of my gimbal setup. As you can see, it's got LOTS of clearance.

I've been giving this some serious thought. I think that the "yank left" issues have increased with it like this. But I also have come up with two theories...
  • With the gimbal away from the body, there's more wind resistance
  • With the gimbal where it is now, the props themselves are creating more wash over the gimbal

I am going to try something to protect it from prop wash and account for the larger mass on the left of the gimbal (ie: the GoPro hanging off the left side).

Still open for other suggestions though...

Best,
Rob

Attachments

• Gimbal Extension - 10562740_10152675073967429_2111680482054017976_o - SM.jpg
    Gimbal Extension - 10562740_10152675073967429_2111680482054017976_o - SM.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 335

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1