ImmersionRC SpiroNet 5.8Ghz V2 Antenna Set - Worth it?

Reaction score
I've got the FatShark Predator v2 goggles and was considering getting the ImmersionRC SpiroNet 5.8Ghz V2 Antenna Set, but thought I would see if anyone knows whether it's actually worth the upgrade? With the stock antennas (and 250mW tX) I get really good range, but the video breaks up every now and then (even when flying close by) and when returning home from a long distance (probably because the antennae is behind the gimbal when the Phantom is flying back) - which I've read is pretty common.

Jebus said:
I've got the FatShark Predator v2 goggles and was considering getting the ImmersionRC SpiroNet 5.8Ghz V2 Antenna Set, but thought I would see if anyone knows whether it's actually worth the upgrade? With the stock antennas (and 250mW tX) I get really good range, but the video breaks up every now and then (even when flying close by) and when returning home from a long distance (probably because the antennae is behind the gimbal when the Phantom is flying back) - which I've read is pretty common.

I was a bit disappointed with them. If I were to do it over again I'd get something like then IB Crazy CP antennas biased on what I've read on the forums here. Maybe one of those on your phantom and a helix type on your FS. Of course you may not want to be seen in public with that setup strapped to your face.

http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-blubeam-whip-with-90-degree-sma.html

http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-9-5dbic-helical.html

That said, I have the spironet on my P2 and one on my monitor. I also have the Immersion/FS patch antenna on the other channel. So far I've gone out to 2km with reasonable results. I could probably go further

Yeah... I don't know if I'd want to go with the helical antenna. They look big & ugly to use for goggles. I guess the SpiroNet's only $50 - but I'm just not sure if they would make much of a difference.

Jebus said:
With the stock antennas (and 250mW tX) I get really good range, but the video breaks up every now and then (even when flying close by) and when returning home from a long distance (probably because the antennae is behind the gimbal when the Phantom is flying back) - which I've read is pretty common.

If you're interested in learning why, watch the first 5-6 mins of this video he very clearly demonstrates why that happens, why the stock antennas are crap, and why omnidirectionals are better.

I personally have a set of FPVLR antennas which are like the ferrari of antennas and even just with the pinwheels I get excellent reception and no breakups, so far out to 250m or so with the Phantom in any orientation I haven't even put on the helix yet and tried for super long range.

I don't know if THOSE exact antennas are "worth it" but I can tell you that a good, quality set of pinwheel/cloverleaf antennas can make a lot of difference.

Thanks QYV. I ended up getting them, and they have been great. I haven't tested the crap out of them (I haven't tried a distance run), but I definitely notice a big improvement. I hardly get any video breakup anymore (although I don't think I've have it out past 600m since I've had them).

Jebus said:
Thanks QYV. I ended up getting them, and they have been great. I haven't tested the crap out of them (I haven't tried a distance run), but I definitely notice a big improvement. I hardly get any video breakup anymore (although I don't think I've have it out past 600m since I've had them).

May I see a picture of your set up? Specially how the transmitter is attached and the orientation of the antenna. Thanks! :)

Sorry, this is the best pic I have on my phone right now.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406644368.034438.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406644368.034438.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 574

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4