Immersion RC 600/Black Pearl - intermittent black out

Reaction score
Flying this combo for the third or fourth time. This time I noticed that every 10s or so (the timing varied a bit), the IOSD and GoPro video was replaced with a black output on the screen for about 1s and then it carried on working normally until it repeated. I guess this suggests that the problem is not the GoPro or IOSD, but the vTX or the vRX.

I am pretty sure I saw the black pearl switching between antennae when this was happening (blue leds swapping) normally only the spironet on is on, and the stock one is not used.

When I first noticed this I was flying a couple of hundred metres away so I though this might be signal degradation (though I got no signal break up or wavy lines come to think of it, just black for about 1s). However later this was also happening when the vTX antenna was in clear view, with the quad about 3m off the ground and about 3m away.

I have the vTX in a plastic tictac box (with some predrilled holes for cooling). I am wondering whether with the ambient temperature being 7C today rather than the 1 or 2 C it was on other FPV flights; that the vTX could be overheating.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

I have the same setup, no issues at all, check the power leads to your TX and see if they are cutting in and out

Thanks for your reply.

Both connectors are clipped in fine and I cant reproduce this on the bench either.

I may try without the minty housing and see if that makes a difference :) .

this may not be the issue, but that behavior you described in the OP is exactly what happens when the gopro is in Video+Photo mode. When your gopro takes a still picture, the live video output feed blanks for a second or two. This happens in both video+photo mode, or in just plain "timelapse" mode when it snaps a photo every... 2, 5, 10 seconds whatever it's set to.

I would check your GoPro's settings, you know how there's a "default startup mode" setting? make sure it's video only, not video+photo perhaps? also you could change the timelapse interval to say 30 seconds... test again and IF it still happens (after confirming you're in video only mode) and IF your "blank out" interval increases to ~30 seconds, you know it's the gopro.

If everything on the gopro is set to 30 seconds, and your blank outs still happen every 10, then it's probably not the gopro.
but hopefully it was just settings on the gopro and you're all set now :)

QYV said:
this may not be the issue, but that behavior you described in the OP is exactly what happens when the gopro is in Video+Photo mode. When your gopro takes a still picture, the live video output feed blanks for a second or two. This happens in both video+photo mode, or in just plain "timelapse" mode when it snaps a photo every... 2, 5, 10 seconds whatever it's set to.

I would check your GoPro's settings, you know how there's a "default startup mode" setting? make sure it's video only, not video+photo perhaps? also you could change the timelapse interval to say 30 seconds... test again and IF it still happens (after confirming you're in video only mode) and IF your "blank out" interval increases to ~30 seconds, you know it's the gopro.

If everything on the gopro is set to 30 seconds, and your blank outs still happen every 10, then it's probably not the gopro.
but hopefully it was just settings on the gopro and you're all set now :)

Thanks a lot for this.

My GoPro was set to repeat shoot mode - so it could be a factor, and, was the first time I had set it like that. The reason why I could not reproduce it on the bench later could be that I had not pressed record again after powering on.

My only confusion now is why the IOSD was not showing up :?

Thanks

QYV you were spot on. Problem sorted. Many thanks.

i always use my GoPro (swop between Hero 3 & 3+) & always run in video & photo mode, with it set to take a picture every 5 seconds & never had a problem with the picture blacking out

p fandango said:
i always use my GoPro (swop between Hero 3 & 3+) & always run in video & photo mode, with it set to take a picture every 5 seconds & never had a problem with the picture blacking out

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I have a problem with my GoPro 3 then, or perhaps it is another "feature" of the White model. I will send a support request off to GoPro to find out more.

Hughie said:
QYV you were spot on. Problem sorted. Many thanks.

Happy to help. I can't explain pfandango's experience, but most folks on this board have the behavior like I described, it's a common topic of discussion... live video feed blanking during a photo is expected behavior afaik

Hughie said:
Thanks for the info. Perhaps I have a problem with my GoPro 3 then, or perhaps it is another "feature" of the White model. I will send a support request off to GoPro to find out more.
all of mine are Blacks, perhaps they've got a bigger processor that helps. I've got 4 GoPro's, i definitely know both of my 3+'s have been used on it & had a normal 3 & normally use a couple of Phantom batteries when i go out & not it happen yet. I've also used the USB plug, & now converted to the rear port with no issues

the rear port mod is great until you try to go to a Hero 4 :( I was bummed they aren't compatible.

p fandango said:
Hughie said:
all of mine are Blacks, perhaps they've got a bigger processor that helps. I've got 4 GoPro's, i definitely know both of my 3+'s have been used on it & had a normal 3 & normally use a couple of Phantom batteries when i go out & not it happen yet. I've also used the USB plug, & now converted to the rear port with no issues

Finally got a (half-arsed) answer from GoPro support. They claim all of their cameras do this black out when taking pictures, this happens when the picture is being saved. It seems possible (and I have only got them to hint at it, getting a clear answer is like trying to nail jelly to a wall) that if you run a combined 'video and repetative photo' mode, the black out does not occur. The model I have does not have this mode. That could explain why we are seeing different things.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl