Image settings for good 360* panorama

Reaction score
I used Litchi to create a 360* panorama using 2 rows of 8 images (plus 2 on bottom). I set the white balance to Cloudy as it was a pretty cloudy day. Problem is when it took the top row of pics with the sky shown, it was noticeably darker than the bottom row pics with the ground. The ground pics came out clear, but when it stitched together, you can see a line where the darker top images where merged with the brighter bottom images.

You can see what I'm talking about here: Look at the tree line.
http://www.CNJAerialPhotography.com/Guynes/Pano.html

So how can I get it to look good using the image settings in Litchi when looking at just the ground?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hooefully litchi gives you access to camera serrings. The simple solution is to set exposure to manual and point the camera at the brightest part of the scene. Set your exposure so the brightest area in frame isnt blown out and proceed to shoot all images at that EV. If you have a very high dynamic range shot you may consider taking 3 shots at each station 2ev above and below the centre metered shot. I wouldnt use the auto exposure bracketing, the exposure vakues are two close to get the real benefit of tone mapping/ exposure fusion in post.

So how can I get it to look good using the image settings in Litchi when looking at just the ground?
Just like a single photo, if you have areas of significantly different brightness in your panorama you won't get everything exposed correctly.
If your subject isn't evenly lit, you could try bracketing your shots using AEB .
That would give you multiple exposure settings to choose from.
You might find some useful pointers here too: SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

Set the exposure for the ground (in manual mode) and shoot away. The sky may be overexposed but the stitched pano will look natural. The HDR option may also work for you but will be optimum only if you shoot in manual mode.

So in Litchi, I could not find a manual mode, like there is in the DJI GO app. I focused a part of the ground I wanted the settings to adjust for. I then set it from Cloudy to Custom and left it at what the default was. I used HDR mode (not sure if it still uses HDR when doing pano's as it takes pics pretty quick, and usually I have to wait a little after each HDR). Anyway, the ISO remained constant but the shutter speed changed with each picture, resulting in similar dark areas. :(

I was able to kind of force a manual mode, but this is more of a work around hack. I had to first go into DJI GO app and select all the settings I wanted and then select Manual mode. I exited out of DJI GO. Unlpugged the controller, plugged it back in, and then opened up Litchi app. When Litchi app opened it told me that the shuter was autocontrolled now. The shutter stayed constant. I could adjust the ISO with the wheel on the controller.
I took the pics and the ISO and shutter stayed the same throughout all the pics but the settings where for the sky, not the ground it seems. :(

I had the setting to HDR but not sure if it actually did so. Should I try AEB instead of HDR or normal? What is that?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Shoot two panos both on manual. Set one to expose for the sky. Set the second one to expose for the ground. Build both panos into 2 images. Then overlay the two and blend.

Reactions: desertcat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20