Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Image Quality

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by gauramohana, Dec 29, 2015.

1. gauramohana

Hi!

I've installed the ND8 and Polarizer Filter on my P3P and I'm finding the image quality absolutely appalling. Unless it's 100% sunny the images are dull, soulless, and SUPER blurry.

Am I missing something? What settings do you guys recommend for the best Photos and Videos?

2. 480sparky

You're shooting with both an ND8 AND a polarizer? No wonder the shutter speeds are so slow.

3. King Luff

I find it best to always shoot in manual, the lens doesn't handle iso well and always try to keep it at 100 (if you're talking about stills)

4. gauramohana

hmm, that makes sense. Should I just use a polarizer and no ND filter for cloudy days? For now it has been Polarizer + ND 8

So when taking images should I try to aim for 100 ISO? Is there anything else I should do?

5. John Locke

Never use the polarizer. Unless you adjust it by hand to optimize while flying and viewing through the display it will likely always degrade image quality. Since its flying you can't spin the lens to optimize. It's useless imho.

#5 John Locke, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  6. alokbhargava

ISO should be set to 100 shutter speed should be set to about two times the fps.

Adjust ND filter so that you get the good spectrogram. Try to keep polarizer to zero.

These are basics. More goes per experience. You may not need ND filter if it's cloudy.

7. mirrorimage

Are you taking about video or still picture quality? It doesn't make sense to use an ND filter for still pictures. It means the shutter has to be open longer. This give the drone more time to move and make the picture blurry.

Καλλιστώ likes this.
  8. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you aren't familiar with serious photography, leave the filters off and just use auto.
    It gives a pretty good result most of the time.
    When you learn more and want to improve things you can adjust etc but if you don't know what you are doing, you are more likely to make things worse than better.

9. MattyDread

Good advice Meta - I'm surprised you've not given him an example of your work
    Go on - I think you should ;)

ELHEAPO likes this.
  10. gauramohana

I've read this before, but also read that this isn't true. So basically the polarizer messes things up when turning?
    That's what I'm thinking...

Both. With the filters the videos are turning out to be 3/10 and the pictures 0/10 - absolute garbage.

I'm getting that I need to mess around with the camera in Manual. I'm thinking of just setting the P3P up someone tomorrow and just playing with the camera for once :D

Does anyone have recommendations for Moire? I've had to turn my sharpness up to +2 just to compensate, and it's still visible.

What does your picture adjustments screen look like?

11. Noodle

You will make moire (and anti-aliasing) worse by turning up the sharpness. Reducing sharpness down to -2 will reduce these artefacts.

12. RasterEyes

To adjust for moire you want less sharpness not more. I run "soft" with a -2 sharpness.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

13. gauramohana

Oops, looks like I have the 3 settings set to -2, -2, and +2.

14. metal69rock

For camera settings I recommend this YouTube video
    I recommend subscribing to this channel, the guy knows his stuff. Another good source
    Very useful channel with plenty of tips on camera settings, programs to use, etc. Good luck. :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

ThejsDenmark likes this.
  15. Rumbaar

I know the Polarized Filter on my SLR's have an indicator for the top, as they have to be positioned correctly for the polarization to be at the correct angle.

16. ELHEAPO

That is funny :)