Image Quality Phantom 3

Reaction score
Hi all,

New phantom 3 advanced user here. Bought the drone for photography ( i'm a photographer ) but struggling to get any sharp images from the drone.

Have tried the folllowing:

IMU calibration
Gimbal Calibration
Prop change
Harder vibration dampers
Faster shutter speeds in manual mode
Burst mode in camera

All images seem to be a bit blurry. When the drone is on the ground the images are sharp, so I'm assuming it's a vibration problem. Does anyone have some suggestions for getting good images please ?

What further can i do to stabilise the camera ?

Thank you

Attachments

• DJI_0053.JPG
    DJI_0053.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,614
  • DJI_0013.JPG
    DJI_0013.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 1,328
The data from image DJI_0013.jpg is:
Auto bracket exposure, Manual, 1 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100, Compensation: +0.7;
and from DJI_0053.jpg:
Manual exposure, 1/800 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100;

So the 0013 image was shot on a manual setting with a 1 second shutter speed... that would cause a blurry photo. The 0053 image was at 1/800th of a second, still on manual. It appears much sharper than the other, just by looking at it on my laptop. Here is one of my images... just for you to compare on whatever you're viewing on... I'm not sure it's any sharper than yours, but you can compare to see. (shot at: Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/496 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100) Let me know... I would like to help find a solution for all of us if we can get sharper images!!
DJI_0054.JPG

Reactions: markAPR
The data from image DJI_0013.jpg is:
Auto bracket exposure, Manual, 1 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100, Compensation: +0.7;
and from DJI_0053.jpg:
Manual exposure, 1/800 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100;

So the 0013 image was shot on a manual setting with a 1 second shutter speed... that would cause a blurry photo. The 0053 image was at 1/800th of a second, still on manual. It appears much sharper than the other, just by looking at it on my laptop. Here is one of my images... just for you to compare on whatever you're viewing on... I'm not sure it's any sharper than yours, but you can compare to see. (shot at: Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/496 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100) Let me know... I would like to help find a solution for all of us if we can get sharper images!!
View attachment 25788

Hey, thanks for the reply. I saw a review for the P3 from a pro photographer that said he was managing to shoot reasonable shots even at 1 -3 seconds around sunset times ,so thought id try that as well - I agree that image is looking pretty soft. Unfortunately all of my shots, regardless of the shutter speeds i'm using, or ISO are quite soft - I had hoped for better images from this piece of kit.

Your shot looks a tiny bit sharper to me - viewing on an ultrasharp 27" high spec monitor.

I'm have a prop balancing tool on the way, so going to try doing that next - basically trying to do everything to kill off any vibration. The camera can shoot sharp shots as i said in my post - when it is static the images are nice and crisp, so the problem relates to the gimbals, or vibration on these things.

I'll keep you posted how i get on with my attempts - thanks again for taking the time out to reply :)

I think it might be your props do need balancing,especially as you say on the ground the pics are ok but in the air blurry, I always balance my props before I even attempt to fly, years ago before balancing was the thing I also suffered from blurry images then somebody suggested to me to balance my props, since than all my pics have been perfect,

I hope this helps you and solves your problem

Reactions: markAPR
Thank you teccer. I have the prop balancing kit on the way, - it should arrive tomorrow, and i'll get the props sorted, the try again. hopefully that will do the trick. Thank you very much for replying :)

Thank you teccer. I have the prop balancing kit on the way, - it should arrive tomorrow, and i'll get the props sorted, the try again. hopefully that will do the trick. Thank you very much for replying :)

hope it sorts your problem. ray

I have the same problem. My shots are unsharp, compared to P2V+, that I owned before. Has anyone some untouched still images or link to post? I want to compare my shots to some others, before changing my Phantom. Thanks

I have the same problem. My shots are unsharp, compared to P2V+, that I owned before. Has anyone some untouched still images or link to post? I want to compare my shots to some others, before changing my Phantom. Thanks
Here are a bunch of mine to check against:
Shipping - Above & Beyond Photography

Reactions: bobmyers
Hi all,

New phantom 3 advanced user here. Bought the drone for photography ( i'm a photographer ) but struggling to get any sharp images from the drone.

Have tried the folllowing:

IMU calibration
Gimbal Calibration
Prop change
Harder vibration dampers
Faster shutter speeds in manual mode
Burst mode in camera

All images seem to be a bit blurry. When the drone is on the ground the images are sharp, so I'm assuming it's a vibration problem. Does anyone have some suggestions for getting good images please ?

What further can i do to stabilise the camera ?

Thank you
I experience it before sir, no matter what i do ritually still the same, until i remember my photography 101 is to inspect the filter and the lense..when I spot it with a Led flashlight I saw haze. I remember I flew my P3 on high alti on hot or cold humid. I guess it develop haze. I clean it with 80% alchohol with dry cloth many times and use Rocket Air Blower...wala! nomore haze!. so when I test its sharp indeed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers