iMac hardware and software

Reaction score
I've done some video editing here and there over the years and have always used a Windows machine with the current version of Pinnacle Studios. I've also been into photography for a while now and I'm using Photoshop for editing.

So I ordered a Mac last week with Final Cut Pro X and, as I always do I'm analyzing my decision after the fact. Don't get me wrong, I did my research before hand and was set pretty solid on the following system:

21.5" iMac with core i7 at 3.3ghz
16gb ram and the 1tb fusion drive (a bit of regret there)
Intel Iris Pro 6200 graphics (hmmmm)

So I read after ordering that all drives on the 21.5 inch iMac are 5400rpm and further, the 1tb fusion has only 24gb of SSD unlike the 128gb offered in the 2tb. Of course the salesperson never mentioned this difference even when specifically asked "Is there any advantage other than more space with the larger drive."

The graphics card in the stock 27" iMac is apparently far superior to the Iris Pro 6200 but if I keep to my spouse mandated price point I would be looking at a 27" core i5 with 8gb ram and it would still end up costing about $200 more.

I'm going to be editing 4K video from at least 2 cameras for short (3-5 minute max) videos -no plans on doing anything with 3D. I edit RAW photos currently using Photoshop but nothing intensive which leads to me another question.

At the risk of branching out too far in one post, can anyone tell me if Photoshop Elements offers all of the .RAW processing functionality that Bridge does? My using Photoshop for what I'm doing is like using a particle accelerator for wart removal.

Finally, I'll ask here what I've asked everyone else: If you had to choose between the two above iMac configurations, which would you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance for reassurance that I've not made a dumb decision. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It will be fine, it is hard to go wrong. I appreciate having to balance the factors going into the cost. My last Mac ran very well for 13 years, l loved that machine and would have stayed with it except for the inevitable march of "progress" that disenfranchises old machines by software. Planned? ;-)

I hope my newish Mac is equally durable. It was however much less expensive for way more machine, this is a great time to be alive.

You didn't say if you popped for the Retina display… I am now spoiled by my iMac, other displays look crummy. I can go without any reading glasses - if necessary I can put my nose right up to the screen and not be unhappy with pixels.

alto777

Thanks for the feedback. The general consensus was that I can't really go wrong with either for what I'm doing. More ram and processing power, not to mention lower price outweighed the superior graphics card. Add that to the inconvenience of making a switch after the order was placed and I decided to just leave it be.

Progress is one thing, planned obsolescence is another; I'm sure both are at play everywhere. Look at the longevity of appliances from the 70's and 80's - still going strong - versus the "disposable" units of today.

Yes, I did get the Retina display.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If you're editing 4K, the 5k screen is great to have. If limited by the 2 machines in your post - I'd take the one with the most memory. You can add on a Thunderbolt SSD in a few months when your wife opens up the purse strings again.

Hahaha Tenly, yes that is the plan. My main concern was wether or not the Iris Pro 6200 would be good enough. Of course with computers more is almost always better; I would be happy with "reliable".

The Iris Pro should be good enough. I have a 2014 Macbook Pro with the 2.2 ghz i7, 16GB RAM, Irs Pro, and 512 SSD. I run Photoshop CC and Premiere CC on it and I haven't felt constrained by it.

I am using a Mac Pro from 2008, with a graphics card upgrade with great success editing 4K drone footage. The only compromise is transcoding the 4K footage into the prores codec before editing. Final Cut Pro X, Photoshop, Lightroom, Motion, and Compressor all run fine.

The only concern I would have with either of the 2 machines, is will they require the transcoding stage with the 4K footage. Also, plan on lots of external drives, as 4K footage consumes drives like a hungry lion.

I've been using the 20.5" for a few weeks now and yes, transcoding takes a bit but the machine runs great and handles 4K like a champ. I haven't gotten an external drive yet but for now I just bring footage in, edit and delete. I'm just practicing and it's nothing spectacular anyway while I mess with different settings and get more comfortable with the aircraft.

Thanks for the feedback!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20