I'm upgrading to a Phantom 3 standard

There is very little choice of upgrade a P2 NV camera. Mostly new camera = new gimbal not mentioning the lens problem on the Gopro.
+ the P3 is far superior in flying characteristics and many other points.. So I would say, because I know both.... DO Change! ;)
So.. are you saying your P3 cameras is better than a GP hero4 black?... are you ok?
AND when better cameras come along? you buy a P4? I just buy the next GP

You keep talking about the P3 camera, but I'm using a GP hero4 black, so we both agree there is possible comparison, right?

Range wise, I'm not talking out-of-the-box. I'm talking with an Itelite antenna on the Tx, and I get better range than the P3 with it (twice as what I really need.. so no problem 4 me there).

Better gimbal control on the P3? this is news to me, please elaborate. I never had a gimbal problem with my P2V+ and I keep reading about level problems on P3 gimbal.

cost/repair is important to me, and I guess to us all, because we know somthing is always gonna happen sometime.

But the biggest problem on the P3 for me is it still at the testing stage, and all early buyers are the testers. That is why so many problems are appearing with it.

The other big advantage on my rig is, I can upgrade the camera! I dont have to buy a new bird when the camera gets obsolete.

Bu t these are my reasons, I totally understand if you have different reasons and different opinions.

I do not have the experience to argue the camera comparison. I have a Hero 4+ black with Peau lens. Great camera but it has not been on a good gimbal to really compare. In theory it should be better. I just don't see it compared to my P3P.

Yes I know you were talking out of the box. My stock P3 will go farther than my modded V+. Not a large amount but it is better.

When I said better gimbal control I was talking about the nice built in control wheel on the RC. With adjustable parameters in the app including things like flipping camera from forward to down in one click, changing speed, extra degrees tilting up if you can every figure out a reason why.

Of course the P3 is still in its testing stage. Everything modern is because its an improvable product. Once it is old technology like the V+ they stop supporting and testing it.

I honestly wish I had kept my V+ for missions. I might buy another as I got a decent price out of mine and the new Standard should drive the V+ value down even more. I might just go for the Standard as it uses batteries I already have.

As far as problems its like anything else. You hear from the vocal more than anything. Dont' forget on the V+ we were doing GPS foil mods, fighting with firmware, etc.

So.. are you saying your P3 cameras is better than a GP hero4 black?... are you ok?
AND when better cameras come along? you buy a P4? I just buy the next GP
The camera is identically good enough to focus on other reasons to switch to the P3. I could have put a GP4 on my P2, and an H4-3D, I would still have a fish eye effect as soon as I tilt the cam. still no adjustment during flight, no way to take pictures or video without landing, no hdr, no burst on demand what else? Your argument is outdated I'm sorry. The Gp4 option is not one anymore. It has it's own qualities but has lost its place on the phantom.
Apparently you are not aware of all the new and incredibly efficient features of the P3 compared to the P2...

Last edited:
You keep talking about the P3 camera, but I'm using a GP hero4 black, so we both agree there is possible comparison, right?

Range wise, I'm not talking out-of-the-box. I'm talking with an Itelite antenna on the Tx, and I get better range than the P3 with it (twice as what I really need.. so no problem 4 me there).

Better gimbal control on the P3? this is news to me, please elaborate. I never had a gimbal problem with my P2V+ and I keep reading about level problems on P3 gimbal.

cost/repair is important to me, and I guess to us all, because we know somthing is always gonna happen sometime.

But the biggest problem on the P3 for me is it still at the testing stage, and all early buyers are the testers. That is why so many problems are appearing with it.

The other big advantage on my rig is, I can upgrade the camera! I dont have to buy a new bird when the camera gets obsolete.

Bu t these are my reasons, I totally understand if you have different reasons and different opinions.
In order to get good range with the p2v+ ,you have to lower the resolution and frame rate even with the antenna mod. But the light bridge on the p3 is true 720 no matter how far you go out. There's no comparison really between the p2v+ video transmission and the p3 light bridge video l. That alone makes the p3 a much better platform than the p2v+. I sold my p2v+ right after I got my p3 because I knew I would never fly it again.

In order to get good range with the p2v+ ,you have to lower the resolution and frame rate even with the antenna mod. But the light bridge on the p3 is true 720 no matter how far you go out. There's no comparison really between the p2v+ video transmission and the p3 light bridge video l. That alone makes the p3 a much better platform than the p2v+. I sold my p2v+ right after I got my p3 because I knew I would never fly it again.
With Itelite you don't need to lower no resolution to get better range than a P3.
But we are talking FPV quality here. On a phone or tablet screen! Is that more important than actual camera and movie quality, parts price, reliability and camera upgradability? Not for me.

Since the P3 will go further than it's battery can bring it back, the argument about range is only hypothetical.
That you can increase range (at a cost) is not an improvement.
You are stuck with that fisheye lens and all the issues that go with it.
It takes effort to remove it and a significant loss in photo size.
You can't control your Gopro in flight - change the exposure or switch to video or bracketing etc etc.
And that you might be able to put a Gopro 5 under an out=of-date P2 isn't going to impress anyone flying a Phantom 4 with whatever camera it's swinging.
It's amazing that you suggest that a P2 and GP is a better machine.
You're entitled to your unusual opinion but don't expect to convince many that have flown the P3.

Since the P3 will go further than it's battery can bring it back, the argument about range is only hypothetical.
That you can increase range (at a cost) is not an improvement.
You are stuck with that fisheye lens and all the issues that go with it.
It takes effort to remove it and a significant loss in photo size.
You can't control your Gopro in flight - change the exposure or switch to video or bracketing etc etc.
And that you might be able to put a Gopro 5 under an out=of-date P2 isn't going to impress anyone flying a Phantom 4 with whatever camera it's swinging.
It's amazing that you suggest that a P2 and GP is a better machine.
You're entitled to your unusual opinion but don't expect to convince many that have flown the P3.
-First of all, you can easily fit a non-fisheye lens on a GoPro. But I do like the fisheye most of the times, the wide angle view is a plus for me. If I really didn't like, I would put a non-fisheye on it. For the few movies I dont like the fisheye effect, I can remove it in edition. with 4K there isn't much you can't do on edition. Still: the BETTER quality of the GP is worth it.
-Range is not a big factor, thank you for agreeing with me.
-Yes I can't control the GP in flight. This for me is not a big deal. With me original vision camera, I would start recording before take off, and only stopped after landing, so nothing has changed. Still: the BETTER quality of the GP is worth it.

-Impress? I don't fly to impress. But you will have to spend 3 times the money on a P4 than I'll spend on a GP4 and I'll still have better image quality than you. And you'll buy another P3 before that, since yours is still a product in testing. Or.. You'll have to buy an entire board just for frying an ESC.
But hey.. if you fly just to impress.. than you have the right bird.

beating-a-dead-horse-.jpg

Reactions: SteelGator
SteelGator is correct.
Line of sight is all about the line, not the visual.
The term has been around since long before the days of quadcopters and it's about having an uninterrupted line between two objects. ie. no trees, buildings or mountains in between.
If you have your Phantom in visual range it will be in line of sight but it's very easy to send it well beyond visual and still have a clear line of sight.
They are two different things

Well, I stand corrected. However, FAA guidance is most certainly visual los. Which is what the original guy was talking about. He didn't put 'visual' but we all knew what the guy meant...some people are just really picky I suppose. :)

Yes the standard does have 2.7k camera but not at 60 frames per second until you drop to 720p.

Yea not the same Sony sensor.

-First of all, you can easily fit a non-fisheye lens on a GoPro. But I do like the fisheye most of the times, the wide angle view is a plus for me. If I really didn't like, I would put a non-fisheye on it. For the few movies I dont like the fisheye effect, I can remove it in edition. with 4K there isn't much you can't do on edition. Still: the BETTER quality of the GP is worth it.
-Range is not a big factor, thank you for agreeing with me.
-Yes I can't control the GP in flight. This for me is not a big deal. With me original vision camera, I would start recording before take off, and only stopped after landing, so nothing has changed. Still: the BETTER quality of the GP is worth it.

-Impress? I don't fly to impress. But you will have to spend 3 times the money on a P4 than I'll spend on a GP4 and I'll still have better image quality than you. And you'll buy another P3 before that, since yours is still a product in testing. Or.. You'll have to buy an entire board just for frying an ESC.
But hey.. if you fly just to impress.. than you have the right bird.

It is quite a nice concentrate of BS that we have here... All these things you say are uninformed, untested, biased and definitely full of bad faith... Even about the GP4... Prove me that the GP4 is better than the P3 cam? Oh maybe you saw something on the paper? but how do you compare what you see? Oh I forgot you can't you don't have a P3... You compare with what you saw on youtube then? ok I see...
So you like the fisheye effect with the overexposed sky all around the top of the picture... :D and the curved straight lines... Oh yes you straighten the whole thing since everything is possible in 4 K, even correcting the blasted sky., without losing quality, with your super computer able to straighten a complete 4K sequence in less than a week. That obviously if you are able to retrieve the 10secs you want, lost somewhere within the 32GB you just recorded during your flight. What kind of quality do you think will be left after all these manipulations?? So long for the so called superiority of the GP4...
This post is really nasty sorry about that but this opinion of yours needs a good rethinking. Some guys here know only the P3. But many others know the difference with a P2. maybe you could just drop it, it's quite ridiculous IMO. ;)

Reactions: Meta4 and acherman
I'm sorry.. Does it offend you that I like a fisheye lens? I'm a professional photographer and I do a lot of action shots. And a fisheye is a must for that. I paid almost 900USD for a fisheye lens for my main camera, so if the GoPro gives it to me for free, its a big plus.
If you bothered to read my posts, maybe you missed that I fly my neighbor P3 a lot, so I do have a way to compare it.
And I'm glad you like your P3, but you must be blind if you say its camera compares to a GP4B.

And again... When GoPro launches the next model I don't need to buy another drone. you do.

And you obviously never used a defisheye filter, or you do have a crappy computer... maybe to much money spent in drones?

I haven't read this thread, but upgrading to a standard instead of an advanced is really stupid in my opinion. I'm pretty sure a standard is a way for dji to get rid of production overruns of parts for the P2..and 200 bucks in savings means you miss out on the best aspects of the p3.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I plan to buy a standard. Should be best mission machine out there. Battery life should be outstanding and it's less loss when I lose it 3 miles from home!

I'm sorry.. Does it offend you that I like a fisheye lens? I'm a professional photographer and I do a lot of action shots. And a fisheye is a must for that. I paid almost 900USD for a fisheye lens for my main camera, so if the GoPro gives it to me for free, its a big plus.
If you bothered to read my posts, maybe you missed that I fly my neighbor P3 a lot, so I do have a way to compare it.
And I'm glad you like your P3, but you must be blind if you say its camera compares to a GP4B.

And again... When GoPro launches the next model I don't need to buy another drone. you do.

And you obviously never used a defisheye filter, or you do have a crappy computer... maybe to much money spent in drones?
If you are a professional photographer, I really wonder how it happened! You just proved you're just a wannabe with a big mouth, or a very poor professional. I would love to quiz you live on photo, video, and computers, which really are my domain. Trust me you don't want to play that game with me! ;). You have no clue what we're talking about here. These drones are made to make pictures and videos, if the GP's end up there in the first place it's because of their weight/performance but being an action cam that wide is not compatible with aerial work. There was a lack there and DJI fixed it. Period. You don't see it because you have simply no clue, your still trying to defisheye the picture and you don't even notice the loss during the process. BTW, it is not a question of crappy computer, if you knew computers you would know that as well. BTW, mine is fine thanks and probably eat yours for breakfast, and has definitely a long life ahead being more than comfortable with any kind of processing. If you were a "Professional", you would know that the main jobs you have to cover with a drone are surveys for architecture, agriculture, real estate, action with vehicles, many if not all of them requiring to produce straight lines on pics and video. You don't "defisheye" video like that, it's not serious and definitely not professional. If you just spent 900 bucks on a fisheye, you probably have a use for it! :) But definitely not for aerial work!
To finish, I don't "like" my P3; It's just another tool in my case, just like the S900 and my GH4, and the rest of my arsenal of video production equipment. I forgot, it's very rare to have a professional photographer here not linking to his site in his signature. Where is your work Dude?

Last edited:
Reactions: acherman

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj