I'm upgrading to a Phantom 3 standard

Like someone just pointed out cameras just get better and dji must be able to produce them cheaper now so they have got to keep up with the competition . Any case I wouldn't swap light bridge now for anything and certainly not for wifi FPV. Been there and it's a pain in arse I can tell ya.

You may get 7.2k video @ 30FPS but you loose out of 60FPS 1080p. I would call that a downgrade from the P3 Advanced

Reactions: Scribe2k
The web mentions: The Phantom 3 Professional and Advanced add DJI’s Vision Positioning system, GLONASS in addition to standard GPS, an extended range via DJI Lightbridge, and a remote controller with extended functionality.
Sounds like all this is worth more that $200 for the peace of mind of stability, plus the remote has more camera features. Camera is a plus though since there is no zoom on these birds.

Reactions: SteelGator
Dji just slapped us advanced owners in the face with this one. In the end u not supposed to fly past line of sight. Before anyone says it worth spending the 200 for lightbridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dji just slapped us advanced owners in the face with this one. In the end u not supposed to fly past line of sight. Before anyone says it worth spending the 200 for lightbridge

My face feels fine. I'll take lightbridge, glonass, and 1080p/60 over 2.7k and wifi any day of the week.

Ok... so I'm 2 weeks in as an owner of a Phantom 2 NV with Zenmuse H4-3D for my GoPro. I am REALLY tempted to exchange it for the 3 Standard. Do you all think it's a worthy option? The only reason I went with the P2 was because I didn't want to think I was wasting the GoPro (and that I couldn't afford the P3 anyway...).

Thoughts?

Ok... so I'm 2 weeks in as an owner of a Phantom 2 NV with Zenmuse H4-3D for my GoPro. I am REALLY tempted to exchange it for the 3 Standard. Do you all think it's a worthy option? The only reason I went with the P2 was because I didn't want to think I was wasting the GoPro (and that I couldn't afford the P3 anyway...).

Thoughts?
exchange the P2 for a P3A, sell the gopro to make up the difference.

You are not using the term line of sight correctly. As you can see below, it does not say anything about maintaining a visual of your aircraft.

I am a complete novice at this, but most of my flights have gone well beyond where I can see. I do maintain a clear LOS so I don't lose signal. For me Lightbridge is worth the price of admission, and maximized my enjoyment of my Phantom.

Definition of LINE OF SIGHT
1: a line from an observer's eye to a distant point
2: the line between two points; specifically : the straight path between a transmitting antenna (as for radio or television signals) and a receiving antenna when unobstructed by the horizon

As for being slapped in the face, some people are going to feel that way. As I said before, It is a risk of being on the leading edge of technology. From other's comments above, it is debatable that the camera is actually better, just different.

I actually thought of that when I got the P2... I was within the return window at the time, but I'm a sports photographer, and I can get a lot of use out of it other than on the Phantom, that's why I went with the P2. I also thought the P3 Advanced cost much more than it did... not sure what happened there. I also just read in a few posts above this that the Standard doesn't have 1080p 60fps. I'm sorta used to recording in that mode, so maybe adding the extra $200 might be worth it.

Decisions, decisions.... :(

I just read that the Standard does not use the same Sony sensor that the P3A, P3P and Go Pro uses.

Other less important differences include the missing visual and ultrasonic sensors on the Standard's underbelly, which are only to help the drone identify its position accurately (the more high-end Inspire 1 has this, too); and the bundled remote controller is basically just an updated version of the one that came with the Phantom 2 Vision+: no still camera trigger and no tablet holder, but you still have an integrated WiFi range extender plus a wheel to adjust the camera's tilt. It's worth noting that while the Advanced can only capture video of up to 1080p (for now) instead of 2.7K, it still beats the Standard with a better camera sensor from Sony. The Professional has the same Sony sensor as well.

I actually thought of that when I got the P2... I was within the return window at the time, but I'm a sports photographer, and I can get a lot of use out of it other than on the Phantom, that's why I went with the P2. I also thought the P3 Advanced cost much more than it did... not sure what happened there. I also just read in a few posts above this that the Standard doesn't have 1080p 60fps. I'm sorta used to recording in that mode, so maybe adding the extra $200 might be worth it.

It's 100% worth the $200.

Reactions: skyhighdiver

In your case, the professional may be worth it as well. You will be able to film in 4K, then crop (think stabilize) your footage and still have full 1080 output.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
My face feels fine. I'll take lightbridge, glonass, and 1080p/60 over 2.7k and wifi any day of the week.
YEP! The extra $200 is a no brainer. I agree with an earlier post that it's marketed at the less informed consumer that doesn't know any better.
Lets not forget that DJI like to state unrealistic range (for most environments) so the 1km range isn't going to be seen by most. Not a competitor for the P3A or the P3P imho.

but I'm a sports photographer

I just filmed a Rugby tournament last month. I hate working in 4K as a rule but it was perfect for a sports event.

First of all it allowed me to keep some distance and not distract the players. I could zoom in during post to 1080 so felt like I was closer. Also it allowed me to zoom and and then pan the frame. In the end it looked like I was a really good pilot keeping on top of the ball. So I tried my best to keep up and then zoomed and panned in post so it looked like the ball had follow me mode where I chose to do that.

Lightbridge is nice to have but it would only get you in trouble if your not responsible pilot. I don't see a difference in hover between my p3a & p2v+ especially with the VP turned off. I rather have to finish product of 2.7k than 1080.

I just filmed a Rugby tournament last month. I hate working in 4K as a rule but it was perfect for a sports event.

First of all it allowed me to keep some distance and not distract the players. I could zoom in during post to 1080 so felt like I was closer. Also it allowed me to zoom and and then pan the frame. In the end it looked like I was a really good pilot keeping on top of the ball. So I tried my best to keep up and then zoomed and panned in post so it looked like the ball had follow me mode where I chose to do that.

Exactly this!

Post some of the video if you get a chance. I'd love to see it.

Exactly this!

Post some of the video if you get a chance. I'd love to see it.

I posted this a while back trying to show someone the advantage of 4K. Sorry there is water on lens as it was raining off and on and I splashed the lens on takeoff.

But anyway this is two 15 second clips back to back. Same footage. First 15 seconds is right from camera. The second is zoomed to 1080 and panned to correct for me not keeping the ball framed well.

You are not using the term line of sight correctly. As you can see below, it does not say anything about maintaining a visual of your aircraft.

I am a complete novice at this, but most of my flights have gone well beyond where I can see. I do maintain a clear LOS so I don't lose signal. For me Lightbridge is worth the price of admission, and maximized my enjoyment of my Phantom.

Definition of LINE OF SIGHT
1: a line from an observer's eye to a distant point
2: the line between two points; specifically : the straight path between a transmitting antenna (as for radio or television signals) and a receiving antenna when unobstructed by the horizon

As for being slapped in the face, some people are going to feel that way. As I said before, It is a risk of being on the leading edge of technology. From other's comments above, it is debatable that the camera is actually better, just different.

In the urban landscape a responsible pilot is supposed to see his uav at all times. I can understand those vids you see of people going 2+ miles away, if you notice those guys or gals are in rural areas.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik